The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Improved S2 profiles in LR?

I am anxious to see what improvements are made in S2 conversions. Too bad I will have to wait until this evening to find out.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I've been testing the S2 this week. I also had shot with the camera briefly several months ago. There are definitely positive improvements in file output via the latest version of Lightroom. I'm very much liking the newer files.

Kurt

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Jack, as I still have the camera for a few days, just let me know what you'd like me to post and I'll try to help out.

Others are much better at analyzing and quantifying results than I am. In deference to Michael Jackson "I'm a shooter not a tester." ;)

The colors I was getting in my earlier go-around just seemed a little out of whack ... they are better this time around. How much? I don't know ... but the files are starting to excite me.

Kurt

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Kurt,

Would be great to simply see one of your files with human skin in it processed with the old LR version and the same image processed with the new version. Crops of the same area with some detail would be helpful too.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Jack,

I don't have the older version of Lightroom on my computer. But here is a quick hand-held shot I just grabbed five minutes ago using my daughter as a guinea pig. It's processed using the latest version of the software. Sharpening is turned off on the first two samples. I've added a bit of sharpening via Lightroom in the third shot. The skin tone and color is looking very good to my eyes.

Kurt

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Kurt,

Thanks for posting these. It does appear they've tamed some of the red skin issues.

thomas

looking at the background of the portrait my feeling is that the white balance gives the entire image a bit greenish/yellowish touch. That, of course, makes the skin tones much nicer here...

gogopix

Subscriber
looking at the background of the portrait my feeling is that the white balance gives the entire image a bit greenish/yellowish touch. That, of course, makes the skin tones much nicer here...
Maybe, but in looking at the mortar, that I assume was grey, it seemed pretty neutral, However, doing an eyedropper on it did increase the red overall.
Looks like some more tuning is needed.

thomas

almost neutral, you are right.
However it looks a bit greenish here (my monitor is okay).
Either way... if there is an improvement that's a nice thing for S2 users!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guys, it's tough to judge unless you've shot a color checker under a known lightsource.

W

Wim van Velzen

Mortar is not really neutral grey, but a slight bit greenish (at least over here). That may explain what Victor noted.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Some of the model captures (of Tori and Dennise) in Jack and Guy's S2 review were processed in Lightroom and the results were posted in the review.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12243

Maybe the easiest way to see if there are any differences and improvements would be to reprocess a couple of those files ?

According to post # 20 in the review the S2 DNG files can be found here:

https://public.me.com/guymancuso
Excellent call, but I'd need a current working copy of LR which I no longer have. Do you know if the latest ACR build has the same profile? I am traveling this weekend, but can certainly check it out Monday.

tjv

I'll convert one now, update to 3.2 then covert the same photo with the same settings and see what happens... Give me a minute...

tjv

It's a big improvement, it seems. These crops certainly show a more neutral colour, with better handling of reds and skin tones. What is evident also in the shot with the purplish woolen jersey, the new version seems to be doing better at pulling a little more detail out of of the files.... :thumbs:

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
Very nice contibution; this does demonstarte the value of tweeking the profiles.
The open question is the need for a dedicated raw developer and what it would do. If the current system has a good algorithm for the Bayer Matix conversion (that is, we don't need to have a 4x4 and 8x8 etc higher order correction, that would be VERY slow) then one wonders whether profiles will close the gap.
Guy has suggested that the processor does more than color balance, and that a good raw processor also can take out anomolies of the sensor (aliasing, artifacts etc.)
What strikes me here is that the profile allso contributes to detail, by moving the color space to a point where neighboring pixels show more detail (that may have been "Bayered out")
an ultimate raw proc would treat the four inputs almost like a color space hologram, and have an extremely detailed algorithm to reconstruct. THEN it would need to filter the know artifacts of the conversions. Looks like LR has a nice compromise, but not one that digs out wha'sin the S2 files.
I must say that this could be a nice niche business; I would immediately buy a raw processor in the uder $100 range, even for casual use; ONE good print would pay for it.

So, are ther forum members who are adept?

regards
Victor