The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Improved S2 profiles in LR?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Victor, maybe this triumvirate would be able to do it:

Iliah Borg
Alexei Tutubalin
Andrei Tverdokhleb

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17321

Has anyone tried Raw Photo Processor (RPP) on the S2 files ?

- - - - -

@ Jack: I don't know if the latest ACR build has the same profile as LR (not using Adobe's programs).
Btw. I didn't mean to say that you should do the work with reprocessing, you've already done a huge effort making the review together with Guy.
I was just thinking of all those already using LR as their preferred processor.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
tjv, sorry but when I copy your posted samples to my pc and quickly toggle between them I'm not able to see any differences whatsoever.

Could it be that you've maybe mixed up some of the processed versions from 'before' and 'after' the LR upgrade, so that both posted version pairs are 'before samples' (or both are 'after samples') ?

They also have exactly the same crop and exactly the same resulting file size which might indicate they are actually identical files ?

tjv

Steen,

The photos seem to have the correct names, perhaps they have lost something in the upload process? When I open them in Photoshop I see a difference in rendering, most noticeably in the skin tones / reds. I used 3.0, made three variants, one full frame and two crops, then exported. I then installed 3.2, imported my 3.0 catalogue and reexported, making sure the files had the same settings. I used compression 12 and sRGB with no pixel resizing. Perhaps I'm missing something?

I'll try again...

tjv

I'm totally lost now, but here are the same crops reconverted. Man, maybe my eyes are just playing tricks on me and seeing what they want to see :ROTFL:

I W/B'd off the same point. The files attached here are the 3.2 versions, so compare them to the above ones.

Last edited:

thomas

ACR 5.7 (in CS4) vs. ACR 6.2 RC (in CS5).

Same WB settings on the image in both softwares (5500K / +36).
Sharpening off.
Color Fringing correction off.

Processed to 16bit TIF (ProPhoto) and assembled on layers.
Upper layer set to layer mode "difference".

No (zero!) difference with Color NR set to zero (attachement 1).
Little difference with Color NR set to Camera RAW defaults (attachment 2).

IOW: there are no tweaked color profiles (at least not comparing the ACR versions... which should be the same in LR).
Just a different handling of color noise (ACR5.7 in CS4 doesn't feature the "details" tool in Color NR).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I wanted to wait until I got to my color-managed desktop before commenting, as I personally saw zero difference on my laptop over the weekend. Result? I'm still seeing zero difference in these images. Reds are still over-saturated and too purple, yellows are still over saturated, and so skin still looks red-orange. I do however see a slight difference in detail, but while the sweater fabric looks slightly better in the 3.2 file, the skin quality looks the same amount worse, so I'd suspect a difference in base sharpening settings. At least this is what it appears to my eyes -- I certainly respect other's may see things differently...

Sorry,

thomas

I do however see a slight difference in detail, but while the sweater fabric looks slightly better in the 3.2 file
are you referring to the crops posted above?
All the three are exactly the same. If you see slight differences comparing the images side by side then the differences come from the different viewing angle on the monitor.
If you put the files on layers and check them in layer mode "difference" they match exactly.
You can also load them in a color grapher (e.g. Color Think)...
attachment 1: only one of the three images is displayed
attachment 2: all the three images are displayed (and the graph does not change at all).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I didn't bother to overlay them in CS, so I'll take your word for it -- as I said, what I was seeing was slight. Plus, given no differences in color, it seems unlikely they would have made any sharpening changes either.

If I were an S2 shooter, I'd build my own C1 capture profile set...

thomas

given no differences in color, it seems unlikely they would have made any sharpening changes either.
as I pointed out above the handling of Color NR is different. I could verify it in the 16bit TIF / ProPhoto comparision.
Possibly the difference is leveld out in these sRGB JPGs here as the changes most likely just affect high saturated, dark tonal values that are simply clipped in the sRGB JPGs (just a guess...)

If I were an S2 shooter, I'd build my own C1 capture profile set...
agree. Or simply use RAW Developer...