The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RZ system - Price Value/Performance Ratio for Mamiya RZ lens

neil

The second hand price and discount/new in the box price of Mamiya RZ equipment is so low these days. It is really low. I just bought an RZ Lens new in the box with a 12 month shop warranty for a 90% discount compared to retail price.

I cannot believe how good the value/performance ratio for these Mamiya RZ lens.

What is happening ? is every person dumping all their Mamiya RZ equipment ?
Why are they doing that ? All the RZ lens are so good and work so well with digital backs. The RZ seems to be a very good well thought out system.

In another way this is quite worring as Mamiya cannot be making any money from selling RZ equipment. Why would anyone pay for a new RZ lens when they can get the same lens new in the box ( minus Mamiya warranty but sometimes with a shop warranty) at a 90% discount. Surely if Mamiya does not make any money from the System they will discontinue it in the future ?

What are peoples thoughts about the future of the RZ system ? Will it be around for years to come ? ( I cannot see how it can be profitable for Mamiya as the market is flooded with good quality used kit and even new in the box discount kit)

I really like the RZ systems and would like to see it become a profitable ( to Mamiya ) and expanding camera system ( benifit to current users )

Regards

Neil

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The RZ is indeed an outstanding value proposition in a system right now. But the reality is it's also an "older" system offering only manual focus and packaged in a footprint that is significantly larger than other options. So while it is capable of producing stunning images, it is big, heavy and slow relative to its own more efficient DF brother. With the adapter plate, it is a natural "back-up" system to the DF and would excel in product applications. But then so is a tech camera, and the tech camera offers several benefits the RZ cannot compete with.

The same things can be said of the even larger and heavier Fuji GX680 system, and it offers the benefit of movements with all lenses.

PeterA

If you have a digi back - you can buy pretty much a complete RZ system of lenses and body for the price of a Schneider or Rodenstock lens..makes you think....

fotografz

I still have my RZ Pro-II system from years ago. Just about everything they made for it ... except I sold off the long lenses over 210mm.

As Jack says, it makes for a very inexpensive back-up studio camera for table-top or tripod people work ... mostly in studio. But I have the handle grip, and have successfully used it hand-held with the waist level finder.

In my case, my main studio camera is a current Hasselblad H2F with a CF/39 Multishot Digital back. I secured a Mamiya RZ adapter and can use that DB on the Mamiya RZ if ever needed. But I would lose all the interactive benefits of using the H2F in concert with Phocus software.

However, it's limited in wide angle options when used with a digital back. I would be more likely to use some of the RZ speciality lenses like the 180SF which uses diffusion inserts, or the Fisheye.

If the itch to shoot film ever returns, this is the camera I'd go to first. Big, lush 6X7 negs.

The problem with getting one is getting rid of it later ... especially the lenses. The body can be used as a trade-in on a newer model MFD kit.

-Marc