The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa Cameras: Image circle and focus

Mike M

I'm wondering how the image circle of a lens relates to where the lens is focused in the scene. For example, a lens might have an image circle of 189 at F22 and focused at infinity. But what kind of image circle might that same lens have when focused at moderate distances or close focus distances? Thanks for any insight

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I'm wondering how the image circle of a lens relates to where the lens is focused in the scene. For example, a lens might have an image circle of 189 at F22 and focused at infinity. But what kind of image circle might that same lens have when focused at moderate distances or close focus distances? Thanks for any insight
Image circle (as seen by the sensor) increases in size at closer distances, though you won't notice a large difference until you get towards macro.

Think of the lens as a fixed element* in the universe - it doesn't move and the the cone of light it projects doesn't change. However when focusing closer than infinity the sensor is further away from the lens and therefore further away from the "tip" of the cone of light and therefore sees a larger image circle.

*no pun intended

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work