The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera, Part I-IV merged

Re: In the Southwest - Part II

Outstanding photos Vieri. I agree with with Terry about preferring the Painted Desert shot the best. There is something about the composition and colors that draw the viewer deeper into the photo. Your photos of Monument Valley are also something to be proud of.

vieri

Re: In the Southwest - Part II

Wonderful Vieri.:thumbup:
Beautiful!

Looks like you had one heck of a trip..

Don
Again, another fantastic terrific shots, i prefer this series here than the first one.

Keep up your work!!!

Tareq
Great images, Vieri! Looks like you've had a terrific time in the southwest!

ken
Well done Vieri. While monument valley is always photogenic I like the first Painted Desert shot the best.
Outstanding photos Vieri. I agree with with Terry about preferring the Painted Desert shot the best. There is something about the composition and colors that draw the viewer deeper into the photo. Your photos of Monument Valley are also something to be proud of.
Thank you very much guys & gals, I am glad you enjoyed this second part of the SW USA series as well... :D Third installment coming real soon!

vieri

For those not yet bored - the great SW USA, Part III

Here it is, for those of you not yet bored to see red rocks & such - the third set of images from my recent trip in the Southwest USA - this time, Arches, & Canyonland...

more images from this third installment can be found here. Thanks for looking, I hope you enjoyed the third part too! :D

Re: For those not yet bored - the great SW USA, Part III

Another great set images Vieri. You should be very happy with the photographic results of your trip. One question - How are you getting the foreground objects in such sharp detail? (e.g., focus stacking, tilt movement,?)

Mark

Analog6

Wonderful images. I really like that last one, the natural framing is lovely.

vieri

Another great set images Vieri. You should be very happy with the photographic results of your trip. One question - How are you getting the foreground objects in such sharp detail? (e.g., focus stacking, tilt movement,?)

Mark
Hey Mark, thank you very much - I am glad you enjoyed the third set as well :) About your question, I used the movements on the Silvestri Bicam II + Flexibellows, which allows for a healthy amount of tilt/swing - enough to get a good enough amount of details & sharpness from foreground to background... :D I know there are softwares out there who let you do the same, though I never tried any of those personally.

Wonderful images. I really like that last one, the natural framing is lovely.
Thank you very much, I am glad you liked it - that place is actually amazing, as was (for me at least) most of the places I have been visiting on this trip... such an incredible land!

Professional

Again, fantastic shots, you are lucky to be in such beautiful places like these, what else we can ask as landscapes photographers?!!!

Thank you for the reply Vieri. You made a good decision on camera choice to bring with you on the trip. I seem to recall you debating that subject.

vieri

Again, fantastic shots, you are lucky to be in such beautiful places like these, what else we can ask as landscapes photographers?!!!
Thank you Tareq! Nothing, I'd say - great places, hoping for good enough light and cooperating weather, and being lucky enough to have a good enough camera to take some pictures... :D

Thank you for the reply Vieri. You made a good decision on camera choice to bring with you on the trip. I seem to recall you debating that subject.
Sure Mark, I am glad if this was of some help - indeed I was debating wether to go with the Tech camera or with the Phase 645 DF, and I think it turned out very well with my Tech camera choice... :rolleyes: infact, I felt in love with the tech-camera process for landscape so much that I decided to upgrade the Silvestri kit for a Linhof one! :D Well - every excuse is good to buy some gear, isn't it? :ROTFL::deadhorse:

vieri

Last batch out of the great SW USA with the tech camera before the accident...

Here it is, the last batch from the SW taken with the Silvestri camera. In fact, in Zion I had an accident (better, my camera did); while assembling it standing on a ridge, my sliding adapter felt an crashed quite a few hundreds feet down the mountain side... when I got it, the only think I could do was trashing it :mad: So, after these pictures, I had to go on for the last 4 days of the trip with only my GF1 - I will post some results with that combo in the proper forum as soon as they will be ready. I was mad at myself and at the elements, but what can you do...

...when I got back home, I thought about replacing the sliding adapter; instead, I got so much in love with the whole tech camera workflow and results that I decided to upgrade it! :D So, I went and bought a Linhof... and the Silvestri kit will go for sale very soon.

Anyway, here are the pics, this time from Bryce Canyon and Zion:

more images from this last installment can be found here. Thanks for looking, I hope you enjoyed this last batch! :D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re: Last batch out of the great SW USA with the tech camera before the accident...

Vierri, totally your call, but are you sure you don't want these merged into a single thread?

If so, let me know, otherwise simply ignore!

Don Libby

Re: Last batch out of the great SW USA with the tech camera before the accident...

I'll admit that when I read the title I shuddered and thought the worse. Accidents in the Southwest can be very dangerous if not expensive. After reading the lead-in I felt better that it was "only" camera gear that had the accident and not the photographer. :eek: (I've been on a cliff face too many times and thought I had firm footing only to find out that it wasn't that firm - though no major accidents to either person or gear - knock on wood).

You've managed to portray this area very well in your images and I tend to agree with Jack in that you really should think about merging all together so that it's easier to find/see and share the beautiful images.

So how long where you on the road? It seems you covered a heck of a lot of territory in what might have been a short period. Thanks for sharing

Don

Ya just got to love working with a technical camera! :salute:

vieri

Vierri, totally your call, but are you sure you don't want these merged into a single thread?

If so, let me know, otherwise simply ignore!
Thank you Jack, will PM you shortly :D

I'll admit that when I read the title I shuddered and thought the worse. Accidents in the Southwest can be very dangerous if not expensive. After reading the lead-in I felt better that it was "only" camera gear that had the accident and not the photographer. :eek: (I've been on a cliff face too many times and thought I had firm footing only to find out that it wasn't that firm - though no major accidents to either person or gear - knock on wood).

You've managed to portray this area very well in your images and I tend to agree with Jack in that you really should think about merging all together so that it's easier to find/see and share the beautiful images.

So how long where you on the road? It seems you covered a heck of a lot of territory in what might have been a short period. Thanks for sharing

Don

Ya just got to love working with a technical camera! :salute:
Hey Don, indeed the SW can be dangerous to people and things - I was very very careful not to get hurt, and was (trying to be) very careful with the gear too, but I guess you can't be too careful :rolleyes: so it happened...

I was on the road for about three weeks, and we did 4193 miles according to the Avis guy when we gave the car back :D which was a lot, but a lot of fun, too - after Zion we went down towards Vegas, passing through the Valley of Fire and going to Death Valley for a couple of days before going back to Vegas and flying away...

Re: your "working with a technical camera comment": it has been one of my best photographic experiences ever to be using one of these for landscapes and for such a long period of time without breaks! :D (well, except for breaking the camera, that is... :ROTFL::deadhorse: )

P. Chong

Thanka Vieri for posting...outstandingly beautiful shots. I am about to do a similar journey myself in Sept (but for me, 10 days of driving and shooting starting at Yosemite, Hoover/Vegas, Page/Antelope, Grand Canyon/Williams), may I ask a few questions:

1. What bag did you use to carry the equipment? Did you pull out stuff you need and put it in a day bag for the hiking and walking?

2. Did you take special precautions against dust? I understand the dust can tend to be very fine, and will get everywhere. I am using a H3D-39 (not II), and the back is fan cooled.

3. Any tips for the trip? Anything at all, appreciate even pit stops, diners, restaurants, etc, but also most of all timings for the superb light.

vieri

Thanka Vieri for posting...outstandingly beautiful shots. I am about to do a similar journey myself in Sept (but for me, 10 days of driving and shooting starting at Yosemite, Hoover/Vegas, Page/Antelope, Grand Canyon/Williams), may I ask a few questions:

1. What bag did you use to carry the equipment? Did you pull out stuff you need and put it in a day bag for the hiking and walking?

2. Did you take special precautions against dust? I understand the dust can tend to be very fine, and will get everywhere. I am using a H3D-39 (not II), and the back is fan cooled.

3. Any tips for the trip? Anything at all, appreciate even pit stops, diners, restaurants, etc, but also most of all timings for the superb light.
Hello Chong,

thank you for posting and for your words - glad you enjoyed the shots! As far as your questions:

1. I use a Lowepro Pro Trekker 300; with the kind and the amount of equipment I took with me (you can see it at the beginning of the first post), I couldn't possibly take a smaller bag for daily use. A technical camera is not as "ready to shoot" as a DSLR or a MF camera, in its assembled configuration it is hardly baggable especially if you use (as I did) a sliding back adaptor. What I did, when moving between places close to one other, was to leave it assembled on a tripod and walk with the tripod;

2. I tried to be careful with dust; I haven't had a problem with it except in Antilope, especially Upper Antilope: there I would strongly recommend to reduce lens change to a minimum, and to find a way to shield the fan cooler to minimize the amount of dust it will suck into your DB;

3. Well, not knowing you and what you do or do not like, your eating habits, your budget and such it's difficult to suggest diners or restaurants; on top of that, in many places the choice is pretty much limited to one or two places... On the other hand, I never run the risk to be hungry at the end of the day: you can always find food and gas, the latter I'd recommend to fill your tank when you see a station, and try not to go below half tank without refilling - again, I never had problems, but in places gas stations are not so common. As far as timing for the light, well - I will not be very original here I guess :D Best light is from 1h before sunset to 1h after, depending of course on subjects etc, and again 1h before sunrise to 1h after; generally speaking of course - YMMV according to where you are and what you shoot. You can also put late afternoon light to a good use, and for detail & macro even midday light will be fine. For Antilope, midday is the only light, and I would recommend you take the "Photographers tour", not the regular one.

Hope this helped, have fun with your trip! :D

jonoslack

Wonderful stuff Vieri - like Terry, I think the painted desert is my favorite.
Glad you had such a great time.
Does the watermark need to be so prominent though?

all the best

vieri

Wonderful stuff Vieri - like Terry, I think the painted desert is my favorite.
Glad you had such a great time.
Does the watermark need to be so prominent though?

all the best
Hello Jono,

great to hear from you, how are you doing these days? :) Thank you for your nice words, I am glad you enjoyed the series :D

About the watermark, I was wondering why nobody had mentioned it yet :rolleyes: but I knew it would come, and if I had to be hanged because of it, I'd rather be hanged by an old friend like you! :ROTFL: Seriously, I am the first not liking watermarks on pictures - however, I had many instances of photos used for web use and even print use without permission, and the solution I found so far was to resize them to a very small size, which works pretty well especially against printing; however, in this case and with this subjects I really found out that a small size was disrupting the viewing experience much more that a watermark would have - and in many cases, due to the textures and such, it almost invisible, I thought... :D but I know, it's still there, and it's not the most beautiful addition to have on such beautiful landscapes... sorry about that! :eek:

Thanks again,

P. Chong

Thanks Vieri...can you recommend a photog guide for Antelope?

Hello Chong,

thank you for posting and for your words - glad you enjoyed the shots! As far as your questions:

For Antilope, midday is the only light, and I would recommend you take the "Photographers tour", not the regular one.

Hope this helped, have fun with your trip! :D