Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 51

Thread: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera, Part I-IV merged

  1. #1
    Senior Member vieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Ginesio, Italy
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera, Part I-IV merged

    Hello everyone,

    you might remember me asking about wether bringing my Phase setup or my tech camera with me for my 1-month long trip in the US last July. Well, as the title of this thread suggest, I ended up bringing the tech camera with me - and didn't regret it for a second... with only a small caveat. First of all, traveling and hiking a little with a 20+ lbs backpack was ok, despite the heat; in the bag I had:
    - Silvestri Bicam II + Flexibellows, sliding adapter, Phase P65+, 4 extra batteries;
    - Rodenstock 28mm, Schneider 47mm, Schneider 90mm;
    - Panasonic GF1, 20mm, 7-14mm, 45-200mm, various filters;
    - Gitzo tripod + Cube;
    - Water, flashlights, radio, compass, leatherman multitools, energy bars, etc.
    Setting up the camera for a shot took me about 3-5 minutes from unloading the pack from my shoulders to being ready to fire, which is not at all bad: the camera was ready in the bag without lens, so unload the tripod, open it, level the cube, take camera off bag, mount it on tripod, take lens off bag, mount it on camera, take filters (if needed), mount them on lens. Very easy. I also found very easy to frame my shot with the bellow & loupe, as well as focusing with the ground glass. A lot could be said for the feeling that looking in the loupe in the dark, opening the lens and seeing that huge reverse image on the glass gives you: no finders on any dSLR-like camera comes even close to the view you get on LF cameras, and the MF+tech camera solution is the closest thing to that in the digital realm: I loved it, to put it shortly. It makes it very easy as well to position filters and check their effect; the only backside is the ability to see well frame edges, when light isn't abundant that is not always easy.
    Shot-to-shot times weren't also a problem; the whole cock-the-shutter, wake-the-back (the P65+ doesn't need it, but the weather was very hot so I'd rather have it as cool as possible), take-the-shot and repeat routine, takes very little to get used to and is very easy to do without having to take your eyes from the loupe and without looking at the lens. Also, I really loved the sliding back adaptor and the stitching capabilities that it offers: sliding the back means not having to move the lens, which means much easier stitching in PP, and the Southwest is very conducive to the 2:1 or 3:1 landscape ratio.
    I will post pictures as they get ready; so far, I PP'd some Cathedral Rock (Sedona) and the lot from the Grand Canyon (South Rim). Here a few samples:

















    more images can be found here.

    Hope this was of some interest!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

  2. #2
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera

    Great job Vieri you captured my home turf really well. You forgot one thing to take me home with you, only 109 today. I am so DONE with the heat I can't begin to tell ya.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    32° 31' 37.06" N, 111° 6' 0.9" W
    Posts
    4,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera

    Please allow me to echo what Guy said above.

    You've captured stunning images from Sedona and one of my all times places to hang out, the Grand Canyon.

    Getting very tired of the heat - only 6 weeks till I leave for Jackson Hole WY and cooler temps.

    Very pleased you enjoyed the visit!

    Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

  4. #4
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera

    Awesome portfolio of images Vieri, congrats!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    475
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera

    Absolutely beautiful, Vieri.

    Thanks for sharing.

    - Leigh

  6. #6
    Subscriber Member KurtKamka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    26

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera

    Gorgeous ...

  7. #7
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera

    What wonderful images . Not only the images , but also the presentation .
    Thank you Vieri for showing your great work .
    Jürgen

  8. #8
    Senior Member vieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Ginesio, Italy
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Great job Vieri you captured my home turf really well. You forgot one thing to take me home with you, only 109 today. I am so DONE with the heat I can't begin to tell ya.
    Thank you Guy, glad you enjoyed! As far as the heat - I hear you man, all the trip was very hot but Death Valley (images to come soon) topped it all! At 8 a.m., it was already 111 F... Not that here in istanbul is much better - about 92 F here today, but humidity is killing me (around 95%!), at least over there it's dry... well, not much of a difference once you are cooked to death to know wether you died stewed or roasted!

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    Please allow me to echo what Guy said above.

    You've captured stunning images from Sedona and one of my all times places to hang out, the Grand Canyon.

    Getting very tired of the heat - only 6 weeks till I leave for Jackson Hole WY and cooler temps.

    Very pleased you enjoyed the visit!

    Don
    Thank you Don! Glad you liked them I enjoyed the trip a LOT, and can't wait to be back... which it might be sooner than I expected, we'll see. It would be great to have one more go at the landscape there!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Awesome portfolio of images Vieri, congrats!
    Thank you very much Jack! I really appreciate it

    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Absolutely beautiful, Vieri.

    Thanks for sharing.

    - Leigh
    Thank you for posting Leigh, i am happy you liked them

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Gorgeous ...
    Thank you Kurt!

    Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    What wonderful images . Not only the images , but also the presentation .
    Thank you Vieri for showing your great work
    Jürgen
    Thank you Jurgen, glad you enjoyed!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

  9. #9
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,868
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera

    Awesome results! Really stunning!

    Peter

  10. #10
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera

    Your photos are fantastic. I can't wait to see more.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera

    Great outstanding shots there, you did very good job, well done!!!
    Tareq

  12. #12
    Workshop Member MikeScecina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    103
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera

    Vieri,
    The grand panorama is stunning. Dante Alighieri would recognize the scene.
    Congratulations.
    mike

  13. #13
    Administrator Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Posts
    4,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    367

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera

    Vieri,
    Absolutely wonderful set!
    I am very glad your agonizing over gear paid off so well.
    -bob

  14. #14
    Senior Member vieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Ginesio, Italy
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Awesome results! Really stunning!

    Peter
    Thank you Peter!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Your photos are fantastic. I can't wait to see more.
    Thank you very much Cindy, will post "part 2" as I progress with the editing

    Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Great outstanding shots there, you did very good job, well done!!!
    Thank you Tareq, i am glad you enjoyed them

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeScecina View Post
    Vieri,
    The grand panorama is stunning. Dante Alighieri would recognize the scene.
    Congratulations.
    mike
    Very true Mike, indeed many places in the SW USA has a "Dante-ish" feel to them - wether hell-ish or heaven-ish! Thank you, glad you enjoyed them

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Vieri,
    Absolutely wonderful set!
    I am very glad your agonizing over gear paid off so well.
    -bob
    Hey Bob, thank you very much, glad you liked the set about the tech camera, using it in the field I understand that I kinda knew from the get-go that this was the way I wanted to go - all the agonizing over the decision and all the opinions and help I got from the forum and elsewhere helped (I found out later) to reinforce a decision that I had sort of already made. I was really happy to have brought this gear though, so happy that as soon as I got back I upgraded the Silvestri to a Linhof Techno! Thank you again both for your nice word over the set and for the help in making my decision
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

  15. #15
    Senior Member vieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Ginesio, Italy
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking In the Southwest - Part II

    Here it is, the second installment of images from my recent trip in the Southwest USA - this time, Little painted Desert, Canyon de Chelly, Petrified Forest (though due to park opening hours the light wasn't really great there), and Monument Valley (a classic, but one can't help being amazed by the views there!).













    more images from this second installment can be found here. Thanks for looking, I hope you enjoyed!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

  16. #16
    Senior Member etrump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: In the Southwest - Part II

    Wonderful Vieri.

  17. #17
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    32° 31' 37.06" N, 111° 6' 0.9" W
    Posts
    4,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: In the Southwest - Part II

    Beautiful!

    Looks like you had one heck of a trip..

    Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: In the Southwest - Part II

    Again, another fantastic terrific shots, i prefer this series here than the first one.

    Keep up your work!!!

    Tareq
    Tareq

  19. #19
    Senior Member kdphotography's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Carmel/Tucson
    Posts
    2,355
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: In the Southwest - Part II

    Great images, Vieri! Looks like you've had a terrific time in the southwest!

    ken

  20. #20
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: In the Southwest - Part II

    Well done Vieri. While monument valley is always photogenic I like the first Painted Desert shot the best.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    76

    Re: In the Southwest - Part II

    Outstanding photos Vieri. I agree with with Terry about preferring the Painted Desert shot the best. There is something about the composition and colors that draw the viewer deeper into the photo. Your photos of Monument Valley are also something to be proud of.

  22. #22
    Senior Member vieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Ginesio, Italy
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: In the Southwest - Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    Wonderful Vieri.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    Beautiful!

    Looks like you had one heck of a trip..

    Don
    Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Again, another fantastic terrific shots, i prefer this series here than the first one.

    Keep up your work!!!

    Tareq
    Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Great images, Vieri! Looks like you've had a terrific time in the southwest!

    ken
    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Well done Vieri. While monument valley is always photogenic I like the first Painted Desert shot the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Outstanding photos Vieri. I agree with with Terry about preferring the Painted Desert shot the best. There is something about the composition and colors that draw the viewer deeper into the photo. Your photos of Monument Valley are also something to be proud of.
    Thank you very much guys & gals, I am glad you enjoyed this second part of the SW USA series as well... Third installment coming real soon!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

  23. #23
    Senior Member vieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Ginesio, Italy
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking For those not yet bored - the great SW USA, Part III

    Here it is, for those of you not yet bored to see red rocks & such - the third set of images from my recent trip in the Southwest USA - this time, Arches, & Canyonland...

















    more images from this third installment can be found here. Thanks for looking, I hope you enjoyed the third part too!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    76

    Re: For those not yet bored - the great SW USA, Part III

    Another great set images Vieri. You should be very happy with the photographic results of your trip. One question - How are you getting the foreground objects in such sharp detail? (e.g., focus stacking, tilt movement,?)

    Mark

  25. #25
    Member Analog6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Terranora Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: In the Southwest - Part II

    Simply stunning!
    Odille

    H2 | P20 | HC 50-110 | HC 150 f3.2 | HC 210 f4 ~ My Website

  26. #26
    Member Analog6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Terranora Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: For those not yet bored - the great SW USA, Part III

    Wonderful images. I really like that last one, the natural framing is lovely.
    Odille

    H2 | P20 | HC 50-110 | HC 150 f3.2 | HC 210 f4 ~ My Website

  27. #27
    Senior Member vieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Ginesio, Italy
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: In the Southwest - Part II

    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    Simply stunning!
    Thank you very much!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

  28. #28
    Senior Member vieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Ginesio, Italy
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: For those not yet bored - the great SW USA, Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Another great set images Vieri. You should be very happy with the photographic results of your trip. One question - How are you getting the foreground objects in such sharp detail? (e.g., focus stacking, tilt movement,?)

    Mark
    Hey Mark, thank you very much - I am glad you enjoyed the third set as well About your question, I used the movements on the Silvestri Bicam II + Flexibellows, which allows for a healthy amount of tilt/swing - enough to get a good enough amount of details & sharpness from foreground to background... I know there are softwares out there who let you do the same, though I never tried any of those personally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    Wonderful images. I really like that last one, the natural framing is lovely.
    Thank you very much, I am glad you liked it - that place is actually amazing, as was (for me at least) most of the places I have been visiting on this trip... such an incredible land!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: For those not yet bored - the great SW USA, Part III

    Again, fantastic shots, you are lucky to be in such beautiful places like these, what else we can ask as landscapes photographers?!!!
    Tareq

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    76

    Re: For those not yet bored - the great SW USA, Part III

    Thank you for the reply Vieri. You made a good decision on camera choice to bring with you on the trip. I seem to recall you debating that subject.

  31. #31
    Senior Member vieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Ginesio, Italy
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: For those not yet bored - the great SW USA, Part III

    Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Again, fantastic shots, you are lucky to be in such beautiful places like these, what else we can ask as landscapes photographers?!!!
    Thank you Tareq! Nothing, I'd say - great places, hoping for good enough light and cooperating weather, and being lucky enough to have a good enough camera to take some pictures...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Thank you for the reply Vieri. You made a good decision on camera choice to bring with you on the trip. I seem to recall you debating that subject.
    Sure Mark, I am glad if this was of some help - indeed I was debating wether to go with the Tech camera or with the Phase 645 DF, and I think it turned out very well with my Tech camera choice... infact, I felt in love with the tech-camera process for landscape so much that I decided to upgrade the Silvestri kit for a Linhof one! Well - every excuse is good to buy some gear, isn't it?
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

  32. #32
    Senior Member vieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Ginesio, Italy
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Unhappy Last batch out of the great SW USA with the tech camera before the accident...

    Here it is, the last batch from the SW taken with the Silvestri camera. In fact, in Zion I had an accident (better, my camera did); while assembling it standing on a ridge, my sliding adapter felt an crashed quite a few hundreds feet down the mountain side... when I got it, the only think I could do was trashing it So, after these pictures, I had to go on for the last 4 days of the trip with only my GF1 - I will post some results with that combo in the proper forum as soon as they will be ready. I was mad at myself and at the elements, but what can you do...

    ...when I got back home, I thought about replacing the sliding adapter; instead, I got so much in love with the whole tech camera workflow and results that I decided to upgrade it! So, I went and bought a Linhof... and the Silvestri kit will go for sale very soon.

    Anyway, here are the pics, this time from Bryce Canyon and Zion:















    more images from this last installment can be found here. Thanks for looking, I hope you enjoyed this last batch!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

  33. #33
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: Last batch out of the great SW USA with the tech camera before the accident...

    Vierri, totally your call, but are you sure you don't want these merged into a single thread?

    If so, let me know, otherwise simply ignore!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  34. #34
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    32° 31' 37.06" N, 111° 6' 0.9" W
    Posts
    4,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Last batch out of the great SW USA with the tech camera before the accident...

    I'll admit that when I read the title I shuddered and thought the worse. Accidents in the Southwest can be very dangerous if not expensive. After reading the lead-in I felt better that it was "only" camera gear that had the accident and not the photographer. (I've been on a cliff face too many times and thought I had firm footing only to find out that it wasn't that firm - though no major accidents to either person or gear - knock on wood).

    You've managed to portray this area very well in your images and I tend to agree with Jack in that you really should think about merging all together so that it's easier to find/see and share the beautiful images.

    So how long where you on the road? It seems you covered a heck of a lot of territory in what might have been a short period. Thanks for sharing

    Don

    Ya just got to love working with a technical camera!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

  35. #35
    Senior Member vieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Ginesio, Italy
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Last batch out of the great SW USA with the tech camera before the accident...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Vierri, totally your call, but are you sure you don't want these merged into a single thread?

    If so, let me know, otherwise simply ignore!
    Thank you Jack, will PM you shortly

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    I'll admit that when I read the title I shuddered and thought the worse. Accidents in the Southwest can be very dangerous if not expensive. After reading the lead-in I felt better that it was "only" camera gear that had the accident and not the photographer. (I've been on a cliff face too many times and thought I had firm footing only to find out that it wasn't that firm - though no major accidents to either person or gear - knock on wood).

    You've managed to portray this area very well in your images and I tend to agree with Jack in that you really should think about merging all together so that it's easier to find/see and share the beautiful images.

    So how long where you on the road? It seems you covered a heck of a lot of territory in what might have been a short period. Thanks for sharing

    Don

    Ya just got to love working with a technical camera!
    Hey Don, indeed the SW can be dangerous to people and things - I was very very careful not to get hurt, and was (trying to be) very careful with the gear too, but I guess you can't be too careful so it happened...

    I was on the road for about three weeks, and we did 4193 miles according to the Avis guy when we gave the car back which was a lot, but a lot of fun, too - after Zion we went down towards Vegas, passing through the Valley of Fire and going to Death Valley for a couple of days before going back to Vegas and flying away...

    Re: your "working with a technical camera comment": it has been one of my best photographic experiences ever to be using one of these for landscapes and for such a long period of time without breaks! (well, except for breaking the camera, that is... )
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

  36. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    240
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera, Part I-IV merged

    Thanka Vieri for posting...outstandingly beautiful shots. I am about to do a similar journey myself in Sept (but for me, 10 days of driving and shooting starting at Yosemite, Hoover/Vegas, Page/Antelope, Grand Canyon/Williams), may I ask a few questions:

    1. What bag did you use to carry the equipment? Did you pull out stuff you need and put it in a day bag for the hiking and walking?

    2. Did you take special precautions against dust? I understand the dust can tend to be very fine, and will get everywhere. I am using a H3D-39 (not II), and the back is fan cooled.

    3. Any tips for the trip? Anything at all, appreciate even pit stops, diners, restaurants, etc, but also most of all timings for the superb light.

  37. #37
    Senior Member vieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Ginesio, Italy
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera, Part I-IV merged

    Quote Originally Posted by P. Chong View Post
    Thanka Vieri for posting...outstandingly beautiful shots. I am about to do a similar journey myself in Sept (but for me, 10 days of driving and shooting starting at Yosemite, Hoover/Vegas, Page/Antelope, Grand Canyon/Williams), may I ask a few questions:

    1. What bag did you use to carry the equipment? Did you pull out stuff you need and put it in a day bag for the hiking and walking?

    2. Did you take special precautions against dust? I understand the dust can tend to be very fine, and will get everywhere. I am using a H3D-39 (not II), and the back is fan cooled.

    3. Any tips for the trip? Anything at all, appreciate even pit stops, diners, restaurants, etc, but also most of all timings for the superb light.
    Hello Chong,

    thank you for posting and for your words - glad you enjoyed the shots! As far as your questions:

    1. I use a Lowepro Pro Trekker 300; with the kind and the amount of equipment I took with me (you can see it at the beginning of the first post), I couldn't possibly take a smaller bag for daily use. A technical camera is not as "ready to shoot" as a DSLR or a MF camera, in its assembled configuration it is hardly baggable especially if you use (as I did) a sliding back adaptor. What I did, when moving between places close to one other, was to leave it assembled on a tripod and walk with the tripod;

    2. I tried to be careful with dust; I haven't had a problem with it except in Antilope, especially Upper Antilope: there I would strongly recommend to reduce lens change to a minimum, and to find a way to shield the fan cooler to minimize the amount of dust it will suck into your DB;

    3. Well, not knowing you and what you do or do not like, your eating habits, your budget and such it's difficult to suggest diners or restaurants; on top of that, in many places the choice is pretty much limited to one or two places... On the other hand, I never run the risk to be hungry at the end of the day: you can always find food and gas, the latter I'd recommend to fill your tank when you see a station, and try not to go below half tank without refilling - again, I never had problems, but in places gas stations are not so common. As far as timing for the light, well - I will not be very original here I guess Best light is from 1h before sunset to 1h after, depending of course on subjects etc, and again 1h before sunrise to 1h after; generally speaking of course - YMMV according to where you are and what you shoot. You can also put late afternoon light to a good use, and for detail & macro even midday light will be fine. For Antilope, midday is the only light, and I would recommend you take the "Photographers tour", not the regular one.

    Hope this helped, have fun with your trip!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

  38. #38
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera, Part I-IV merged

    Wonderful stuff Vieri - like Terry, I think the painted desert is my favorite.
    Glad you had such a great time.
    Does the watermark need to be so prominent though?

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  39. #39
    Senior Member vieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Ginesio, Italy
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera, Part I-IV merged

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Wonderful stuff Vieri - like Terry, I think the painted desert is my favorite.
    Glad you had such a great time.
    Does the watermark need to be so prominent though?

    all the best
    Hello Jono,

    great to hear from you, how are you doing these days? Thank you for your nice words, I am glad you enjoyed the series

    About the watermark, I was wondering why nobody had mentioned it yet but I knew it would come, and if I had to be hanged because of it, I'd rather be hanged by an old friend like you! Seriously, I am the first not liking watermarks on pictures - however, I had many instances of photos used for web use and even print use without permission, and the solution I found so far was to resize them to a very small size, which works pretty well especially against printing; however, in this case and with this subjects I really found out that a small size was disrupting the viewing experience much more that a watermark would have - and in many cases, due to the textures and such, it almost invisible, I thought... but I know, it's still there, and it's not the most beautiful addition to have on such beautiful landscapes... sorry about that!

    Thanks again,
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

  40. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    240
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera, Part I-IV merged

    Thanks Vieri...can you recommend a photog guide for Antelope?

    Quote Originally Posted by vieri View Post
    Hello Chong,

    thank you for posting and for your words - glad you enjoyed the shots! As far as your questions:

    For Antilope, midday is the only light, and I would recommend you take the "Photographers tour", not the regular one.

    Hope this helped, have fun with your trip!

  41. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera, Part I-IV merged

    Quote Originally Posted by P. Chong View Post
    Thanks Vieri...can you recommend a photog guide for Antelope?
    Does Antelope Canyon require guides again? I haven't been there in a while now, but every time I have been there in the past, I was able to go without a guide.

  42. #42
    tetsrfun
    Guest

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera, Part I-IV merged

    Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    Does Antelope Canyon require guides again? I haven't been there in a while now, but every time I have been there in the past, I was able to go without a guide.
    The last time that I was there, I had read about "required guides" but nothing had changed. Upper was same with "guide" and truck transportation to the canyon and Lower Canyon..pay the fee and walk to the canyon and stay as long as necessary.

    Steve

  43. #43
    Senior Member vieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Ginesio, Italy
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera, Part I-IV merged

    Quote Originally Posted by P. Chong View Post
    Thanks Vieri...can you recommend a photog guide for Antelope?
    Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    Does Antelope Canyon require guides again? I haven't been there in a while now, but every time I have been there in the past, I was able to go without a guide.
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    The last time that I was there, I had read about "required guides" but nothing had changed. Upper was same with "guide" and truck transportation to the canyon and Lower Canyon..pay the fee and walk to the canyon and stay as long as necessary.

    Steve
    It seems there have been constant changes over time then! I'll just add my .02... for what is worth, this last month, the situation was:

    - Upper, you need to join a tour and be transported by truck to the entrance of the canyon; a guide will be with you the whole time, to the end of the canyon and back; the photographers' tour is much less crowded and last 1.5 hour, while the normal tour is more crowded and goes in and out the canyon real fast (about 30 min);
    - Lower, you need to pay the fee at the entrance and get in the canyon with a guide; once in the canyon, you can stay as long as you want (with the photographers' pass) up to 4 hours, can wander in the canyon by yourself - letting the tours pass you when needed - and you don't need to follow a guide nor the other photographers in the tour.

    Hope this helps clear the situation at least as of the end of July, 2010 - who knows what the organization will be next month!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

  44. #44
    Member VICTOR BT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    75
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera, Part I-IV merged

    vieri, very good works here.
    nothing original, countless photos like these have been done, but it is one of the very few times that i was not bored to look at this kind of stuff, actually Very enjoyed. i call it illustrative photography, and many times, with those monumental landscapes, this goes into plain kitsch, kinda ansel adams emitation or postcard styles. in terms of artistic merit, those places are a challenge, they are so great that any photograph is dull compared to actually being there, and even when photographed well, it is tricky to take them beyond plain illustration (in order to add some artistic element "inside-out"), especially with realistic depiction (camera/material techniques). but uve made those illustrations so good - photo-aesthetics with light and sense of place with compositions - makes great impact.

    btw, which linhof ? the new tech ?

  45. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Marseille, FRANCE
    Posts
    972
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera, Part I-IV merged

    On my screen, Monument valley 's pics seems over saturated... but i've never went there, and i wasn't found of velvia stuff also...
    Same for the tower of altar...
    Is it really that red over there ?

  46. #46
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,868
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera, Part I-IV merged

    Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    On my screen, Monument valley 's pics seems over saturated... but i've never went there, and i wasn't found of velvia stuff also...
    Same for the tower of altar...
    Is it really that red over there ?
    Well, I was there multiple times and my eyes see it like Vieri shows in his images. If you look at my images they are at least as saturated - and I would not call them over saturated.

    It is obviously a matter of taste what amount of saturation one likes. I am definitely not belonging to the species who like pictures so undersaturated that they are almost B&W.

  47. #47
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,868
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera, Part I-IV merged

    Vieri,

    my congratulations to this great work! I really like it!

    Makes me feel I need to get there back pretty soon

  48. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Marseille, FRANCE
    Posts
    972
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera, Part I-IV merged

    "It is obviously a matter of taste what amount of saturation one likes. I am definitely not belonging to the species who like pictures so undersaturated that they are almost B&W. "

    yes of course, but there is a balance between oversaturated and undersaturated.
    with the advent of digital workflow using profile, charts... we can make pictures that are just neutral... not to say "real colors"... with every king of light.
    that wasn't the case with film !

    Anyway, i'm pretty shure that it still exists a different in perception... that's also a part of culture !

  49. #49
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera, Part I-IV merged

    Might have to do a another Southwest workshop soon here.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  50. #50
    Senior Member vieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Ginesio, Italy
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: In the glorious Southwest USA with a tech camera, Part I-IV merged

    Quote Originally Posted by VICTOR BT View Post
    vieri, very good works here.
    nothing original, countless photos like these have been done, but it is one of the very few times that i was not bored to look at this kind of stuff, actually Very enjoyed. i call it illustrative photography, and many times, with those monumental landscapes, this goes into plain kitsch, kinda ansel adams emitation or postcard styles. in terms of artistic merit, those places are a challenge, they are so great that any photograph is dull compared to actually being there, and even when photographed well, it is tricky to take them beyond plain illustration (in order to add some artistic element "inside-out"), especially with realistic depiction (camera/material techniques). but uve made those illustrations so good - photo-aesthetics with light and sense of place with compositions - makes great impact.

    btw, which linhof ? the new tech ?
    Hey Victor, I agree with your concerns re: shooting in places that have been shot to death (pun intended), and though this would be matter for a different thread - and an interesting one at that! - until then let me just thank you for your comments, I am glad you enjoyed the images despite their seen-before subject matters

    Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    On my screen, Monument valley 's pics seems over saturated... but i've never went there, and i wasn't found of velvia stuff also...
    Same for the tower of altar...
    Is it really that red over there ?
    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Well, I was there multiple times and my eyes see it like Vieri shows in his images. If you look at my images they are at least as saturated - and I would not call them over saturated.

    It is obviously a matter of taste what amount of saturation one likes. I am definitely not belonging to the species who like pictures so undersaturated that they are almost B&W.
    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Vieri,

    my congratulations to this great work! I really like it!

    Makes me feel I need to get there back pretty soon
    Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    "It is obviously a matter of taste what amount of saturation one likes. I am definitely not belonging to the species who like pictures so undersaturated that they are almost B&W. "

    yes of course, but there is a balance between oversaturated and undersaturated.
    with the advent of digital workflow using profile, charts... we can make pictures that are just neutral... not to say "real colors"... with every king of light.
    that wasn't the case with film !

    Anyway, i'm pretty shure that it still exists a different in perception... that's also a part of culture !
    Interesting topic indeed - to me, it basically boils down to perception on one side, and endeavor on the other. What I mean is this: while it is true that with digital (and with film too, using the appropriate filtering) one can white balance for any light and get colors that are "exactly right" according to a grey card in pretty much any light, the question is, would anyone want to do that? My personal answer (and of course YMMV) is that at times, yes I do; in other situations, no thanks. An example: shooting architecture for a client, yes; shooting fine arts, no.

    Coming to the photos here, well: there is a reason why they call it "red country", the rocks are indeed red especially after the sun has set and in the last, warmest light of the day. Do I want to correct WB in order to make them look gray or washed out like they look at noon? No, I don't, which is a reason why I don't shoot at noon in the first place; in fact, I even add a warming filter to daylight WB (or even shade WB) to enhance colors and warmth, if I think that it would help with my vision... thing is, I didn't try to be "forensic" here, I tried to record the exaggerate redness of what my eyes were seeing, according to my perception of the colors and my vision of what the final image would look like. That all said and done, for me what it boils down to is: are the images beautiful on their own, rather than are the images a faithful representation of what the place really looks like. Which - lastly - bring the whole thing away from me as the creator of the image and back into the eye of the beholder, where beauty stands (or does not stand): the final outcome of all the philosophic rambling above are pictures, and the final judges of these are those who look at the images and either like them or do not like them. As a final note, I am pretty sure that for every image by any photographer, even the greatest, there are those who do like it and those who don't - nothing is universally considered great by everyone or [email protected] by everyone, meaning by the 100% of viewers, no exceptions: what makes one a public success or not, is just a percentage matter...

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Might have to do a another Southwest workshop soon here.
    Great idea Guy, the Southwest (as little as I have seen of it) looks like a never exhausted mine of photographic opportunity!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •