Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Alpa Photokina Preview

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    All these are kind of useful, but I need something ON the camera when I'm using the TC handheld.

Remember that not everyone uses an ALPA on a tripod - you can walk around with these cameras and take pictures in the everyday way!

So for a framing/ viewfinder device ON the camera... I've had the Alpa one but found it too very-wide angle oriented, the Linhof Zoom finder works better for my purposes, and covers wide to normal to mild tele in one device, with parallax correction.
    I have heard that the Linhoff Zoom is one of the best...I have the Alpa and the old Leica 21-28 zoom and as I only have WA at the present time it seems to work for me.

Bob

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

. . . the Linhof Zoom finder works better for my purposes, and covers wide to normal to mild tele in one device, with parallax correction.
    With which lenses are you using the Linhof finder?

Post Thanks / Like

60mm Digaron-S
    90mm Apo-Digitar
    others coming soon, just waiting to see whats announced at Photokina

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Alpa web site has been update with photos and pricing for the new products.

http://www.alpa.ch/en/news/2010/alpa...tml?year=&num=

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think I hereby christen the 12 STC as mini-Max

I do like the look of the level on it though. My wallet just ran off whimpering under the sofa.

In all seriousness I can see this appealing to anyone not needing shifts on both axis. A month or so back that might have been me (although I'm glad I did get the max though).
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 18th September 2010 at 16:41.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah a decent addition, though quite why they couldn't give it 10mm of rise as well, I don't know. Other than not eating the Max's market.

The new body is also getting closer to what Cambo came up with in their compact stitching model. Except that does rise too...

One thing nobody mentions about stitch lenses is that are effectively two for price of one. A 90mm digitar-s is a great standard/portrait lens, but when stitched over 2+frames becomes effectively a wide angle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The new body is also getting closer to what Cambo came up with in their compact stitching model. Except that does rise too...
    The 12 STC is actually closer to the Silvestri Bicam… except that the 12 STC provides lateral shift in regular body orientation (so actually it is for either wide panorama composition or, with the back turned in portrait mode, for a large 2 way stitch in 3:2 format… given you use a back with 4:3 sensor format).
    The Cambo actually provides larger (or roughly the same) movements than the Alpa Max (with regular lenses) in a much more compact body.
    Max: 25mm rise | 18mm fall | +/- 18mm lateral (i.e. 43mm vertical | 36mm lateral)
    WRS: 25mm rise | 15mm fall | +/- 20mm lateral (i.e. 40mm vertical | 40mm lateral)

Max: 206 x 177 mm (weight 1.2 kg body only)
    WRS: 165 x 155 mm (weight 1.2 kg body only - but the handles are an integrated part of the body)

One thing nobody mentions about stitch lenses is that are effectively two for price of one. A 90mm digitar-s is a great standard/portrait lens, but when stitched over 2+frames becomes effectively a wide angle.
    exactly. This is why I don't need for instance a 35mm lens... as the 47XL easily covers the respective field of view. Though you can't stitch all the time of course...
    The next lens wider than the 47mm that makes sense for me is the new Super Digitar 28mm. But that is really wide and I don't need such an extreme field of view very often.
    Last edited by thomas; 19th September 2010 at 04:52.