Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 57

Thread: Alpa Photokina Preview

  1. #1
    Optechs Digital
    Guest

    Alpa Photokina Preview

    Here is a list and brief description of some brand new items that Alpa will be showing at the upcoming Photokina show. More detailed information will follow soon but I have been given the go ahead to share this basic information with you all now.

    The target availability for sales units for these items is end of 2010, early 2011.

    Alpa 12 STC A new camera body as small and light as possible and ideal for stitching. 135mm tall by 145mm wide and offering 18mm of shift in two directions from center point either vertically or horizontally depending on camera orientation. (36mm total displacement). Shift plate is 100% moving on roller bearings. This camera is fully integrated into the 12 system platform.

    Alpa High Precision Focusing rings/scales. User replaceable and retrofit to existing Alpa lenses. Available in separate feet or meters version.

    Alpa One Finger -One Movement Wake Up cables. A true one shot solution for the Alpa featuring a single action wake up and shutter firing solution. Ideal for hand held use.

    Alpa I Phone Viewfinder. A device to use IPhone models 3,G, 3GS and 4 as an electronic viewfinder for all Alpa 12 models.

    Best Regards,
    Paul

  2. #2
    Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,178
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    414

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Paul - Thanks for the info. Any further info you have on the Alpa I Phone Viewfinder please pass it along as you get it.

    When Alpa reps were in NY they said they hoped to have the Schneider 28 for Photokina. Any further news there?

  3. #3
    Administrator Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Posts
    4,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    367

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Tell me more about that electron viewfilder!
    -bob

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Cool, all of the new editions sound very interesting. The high precision focusing rings definitely get my attention.

  5. #5
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Thank you Paul for that info .
    That sounds all very interesting . I think I will have to add an other page to my wishlist .
    Waiting for more info on topics 2 , 3 and 4 .

    I will receive my first SB lens next Monday . It is the DIGARON-W 5,6/90 .
    It is hard to wait , but shipment from ALPA was really very fast .

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    59
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    I wonder if they are developing an app for the iPhone rig too. I've tried a few of the viewfinder apps and find them not so special, since there is the obvious wide angle issue.
    Thanks Paul,

  7. #7
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Jaw has dropped and locked in on STC
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  8. #8
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by Optechs Digital View Post

    Alpa High Precision Focusing rings/scales. User replaceable and retrofit to existing Alpa lenses. Available in separate feet or meters version.

    Best Regards,
    Paul

    I wonder what this precision ring will look like and how it will work .
    One thing is for sure , that item is already on the top of my list . For all of my four lenses .

  9. #9
    Optechs Digital
    Guest

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Hi Guys,

    More information on all these items will be forthcoming very soon. Sorry I can't answer these questions in depth yet, but it won't be long before you can actually get your hands on these items.

    Best Regards,
    Paul

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    543
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    I've heard (as a rumor) that Canon may be showing at Photokina some kind of software to use with the iPad/iPhone. It could be a wireless electronic live view and review function.
    Wishfull thinking but it seems to be the soup du jour.
    Eduardo

    Quote Originally Posted by Optechs Digital View Post
    Hi Guys,

    More information on all these items will be forthcoming very soon. Sorry I can't answer these questions in depth yet, but it won't be long before you can actually get your hands on these items.

    Best Regards,
    Paul

  11. #11
    Optechs Digital
    Guest

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    Paul - Thanks for the info. Any further info you have on the Alpa I Phone Viewfinder please pass it along as you get it.

    When Alpa reps were in NY they said they hoped to have the Schneider 28 for Photokina. Any further news there?
    Hi CMB,

    Yes the 28mm Schneider and 32mm Rodenstock will be shown in the Alpa booth at Photokina. I'm not sure if they will actually be shipping at that time or not.

    I will certainly be trying to get some of the very first ones available in the Alpa mount.

    More details soon.

    Best,
    Paul

  12. #12
    Optechs Digital
    Guest

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Jaw has dropped and locked in on STC
    Mine has also Guy,

    This camera is quite exciting. The versatility is very extraordinary depending on how the camera is configured, but still a very small size.

    We will produce a video on it as soon as we get a production unit.

    Best,
    Paul

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hong Kong / Asia
    Posts
    524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by Optechs Digital View Post
    Mine has also Guy,

    This camera is quite exciting. The versatility is very extraordinary depending on how the camera is configured, but still a very small size.

    We will produce a video on it as soon as we get a production unit.

    Best,
    Paul
    Paul,

    Any more info such as weight and price?

    Thanks

    Regards
    Anders

  14. #14
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Since Paul opened this thread , I can't sleep anymore and am only dreaming of ALPA STC . It is nightmare like .
    What can we do about this ? ? ? STC = ALPA MINI MAX .
    I think , I should give them a call on Monday .
    Jürgen

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    548
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Can we at least get one picture? !!

  16. #16
    Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,178
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    414

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by Optechs Digital View Post
    Hi CMB,

    Yes the 28mm Schneider and 32mm Rodenstock will be shown in the Alpa booth at Photokina. I'm not sure if they will actually be shipping at that time or not.

    I will certainly be trying to get some of the very first ones available in the Alpa mount.

    More details soon.

    Best,
    Paul

    Thanks Paul, I'm looking forward to these new releases.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    iPhone viewfinder may be not be all we hope - its probably just an iPhone picture with various masks/formats overlayed by Alpa. let wait and see,

    am at a loss what the STC adds to the MAX? the Max is not that big and has the same movements of 18mm each way. This biggest problem with major stitching on the Alpa's is the restriction caused by the body aperture, which mechanically vignettes any standard lens from making large shifts, after a certain point. This is why the 'short barrel' lenses have been introduced. The MAX needs an upgrade too, allowing the stitching adapter to work in body-reversed configuration, as well as normal.

    They need to sort these things out on the MAX, especially the body aperture size, which means bigger lens mounts than their old original design (film based, pre-stitching)

  18. #18
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post

    am at a loss what the STC adds to the MAX? the Max is not that big and has the same movements of 18mm each way. This biggest problem with major stitching on the Alpa's is the restriction caused by the body aperture, which mechanically vignettes any standard lens from making large shifts, after a certain point. This is why the 'short barrel' lenses have been introduced. The MAX needs an upgrade too, allowing the stitching adapter to work in body-reversed configuration, as well as normal.

    They need to sort these things out on the MAX, especially the body aperture size, which means bigger lens mounts than their old original design (film based, pre-stitching)
    Very interesting contribution in deed .
    Just to make sure , that I understand you correctly , can you please explain what you mean by "body aperture" ?
    If you mean the ALPA camera body itself as beeing the body aperture , then you will face the very same issue with any 6x9 technical camera using digital backs .
    Jürgen

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Yes, the body itself has a square hole that is modest in size, and was set when Alpa were making film cameras, with perhaps a small bit of rise. All the lens box mounts were made to fit onto this size body opening.

    Now we have stitching backs that move left or right by extreme amounts, and the body aperture starts to mechanically cut the picture off from the cone of light, especially on standard or longer lenses. Wide angle is not such a problem as the lens is closer to the sensor plane.

    That is why they now make large circle stitching lenses (like the 90mm Rodenstock) only in 'short barrel' versions, so together with the spacer adapter at the back, the body is moved 'up' the cone of light, to prevent mechanical vignetting.

    It would be better to make a body with a bigger aperture, but that would mean the lens mount would need some change or adapter.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Anyone who has used Alpa for a few years understands that there are better stitching options out there for non wide lens useage. Alpas are elegant wide angle solutions.

    The TC announced above is a great idea for simple stitching in small package - I am a buyer.

    OR for wide and for longer than 35mm focal lengths - go arTec - and for really long focal lengths - you dont need a tech camera anyway - use your digi back on one of the 645's with a 150-210/300 etc.on rails around nodal point.

    horses for courses.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Anyone who has used Alpa for a few years understands that there are better stitching options out there for non wide lens useage. Alpas are elegant wide angle solutions.

    The TC announced above is a great idea for simple stitching in small package - I am a buyer.

    OR for wide and for longer than 35mm focal lengths - go arTec - and for really long focal lengths - you dont need a tech camera anyway - use your digi back on one of the 645's with a 150-210/300 etc.on rails around nodal point.

    horses for courses.
    Agree.

    The problem is ALPA aren't sold as wide angle only.
    and secondly a normal lens IS a wide lens when you stitch to the left and right of it.
    so unless you want superwide stitches, just be sure to check out the mechanical limitations of the ALPA system before investing.

  22. #22
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Thank you Narikin and Peter for your feedback . Good information .

    Sounds all very logical and true is : horses for courses .

    I experienced the very same "body vignetting issue" with my ARCA SWISS 6x9 . As I can also use that camera as a 4x5 inch camera , a good solution would have been to have a format reduction board , to go from 4x5 inch to 6x9 cm for the rear standard .
    Unfortunately that reduction board was designed but never built .
    With that reduction board the "body vignetting issue" could have been avoided .
    But again , horses for courses , it is of course much easier to shoot with an ALPA than with a monorail camera .

    The stitching abilities of an ALPA are sufficient enough for me and my biggest prints . So the STC will be on my (wish) list .

    On the other hand I do believe that not only your camera will give you limitations , but also the fact , that you can not shift "endless" . You will reach the limits of the image circle of your lens very soon .
    Schneider and Rodenstock are working on digital lenses with bigger image circles but also the angle of the lightrays falling on the sensor will give you very narrow limits . More for WA lenses of course .

    My SB lens Rodenstock DIGARON-W 5,6/90mm will arrive today plus the 34mm extension "tube" .
    Would you recommend to use that lens with the "extension tube" mounted to the rear of the camera in general ? ? Or for stitching only ? ?

    Regards Jürgen

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    My SB lens Rodenstock DIGARON-W 5,6/90mm will arrive today plus the 34mm extension "tube" .
    Would you recommend to use that lens with the "extension tube" mounted to the rear of the camera in general ? ? Or for stitching only ? ?
    exactly - the stitching abilities of this lens are much reduced without the 'short barrel' mount, and the 34mm extension spacer.

    With these, you will be fine. (in fact it wont work without the extension as it is a short barrel version only). All of this is to get around the problem I describe above.

    It would be far better if Alpa redesigned with a bigger body aperture, but they won't, so we are stuck with extension plates on the rear and short barrels lenses on the front to move the camera body aperture up the lens light cone by 34mm, if you want to use any medium lens like a 90mm as a stitched moderate wide angle.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    The Sinaron CEF 5.5/90 has an image circle of 140 giving you lateral shift capability of 20mm and vertical shift of 25mm on a 48x36mm chip - this is a non HR lens but plenty sharp. The Sinaron 5.6/135 CEF gives you an image circle of 150 but lateral shift of only 20mm and vertical of 22MM

    the new(ish) 4.5/40 HR gives you an image circle of 90mm I dont have the exact shift specs for this.

    These indicate that for longer lenses you are really better off with using MF glass on a 645 body - especially given the lesser ( if any) disparity in edge to edge performance.

    same can't be said of wides in MF land compared to Rodenstock /Schneider wides - but then again MF wides give you leaf shutters and syncing flexibility at shutter speeds > than 1/500th - accuracy on copal shutter at limits is problematic anyway.

    it really is a no brainer to go for an artec or similar for anything longer than 35mm in my book - and then if you have an artec you may as well use the extreme wides from rodenstock anyway as well...

    this is suspect is why Alpa are to introduce this nifty new TC with inbuilt lateral movement - small package hand shootable and on tripod shiftable..

    of course you already get the same thing with a 12SWA and Max - except the body is larger.

    The new 12TC is appealing to me because of its small size - really nifty little travel kit - but certainly no substitute for a camera with inbulit focussing screen and loupe not to mention tilt and shfits..

    I dont buy the Alpa argument that you cant build a sliding system which is accurate enough - I am more a buyer of the argument that no one builds any system accurate to perfection - thats why optimal apertures are advertised @ f8-11 anyway ..but thats another story.

    put these on tripod and shoot tethered if you want perfect focus.

    sorry I got a bit off topic.

    but yeah I am a buyer of the new TC when it comes out - sign me up Paul -

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    The camera system is great....but there are a bunch of things that need to change about it...and if these changes occur...then it will be a totally different camera system altogether.

    This type of thinking has gotta be given a name...I'm gonna call it "Michael Reichmann Syndrome" as an homage to his open letter to Leica: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...n-letter.shtml

    The M9 is great... but Leica needs to change all of this stuff about it...and if all of these changes occur....then it won't actually be an M anymore

  26. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    The STC with a decentred 47mm XL would provide a very compact outfit providing both lateral shift + 8mm rise, or vice versa...

  27. #27
    Optechs Digital
    Guest

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by micek View Post
    The STC with a decentred 47mm XL would provide a very compact outfit providing both lateral shift + 8mm rise, or vice versa...
    Finally getting some time to catch up on this and other threads.

    Micek, Thanks! This is brilliant, I had not yet thought about this possibility with the STC. The 8mm de-centered lenses open up some more possibilities with this camera. Thanks for pointing it out.


    Narikin

    I am a little bit confused about what you are complaining about here. All of the normal to long Alpa lenses that have large enough image circles to be useful for stitching are all available in the short barrel lens mount. By using the Short barrel lens on the front of the camera and a 34mm spacer on the back of the camera photographers are able to utilize the large image circle that some of these lenses offer to do extraordinary stitches. Wether it be for landscape, copy, close up or scientific work many photographers are happily working with this system and producing stellar results .

    By the way the 34mm fixed spacer can be substituted for the 12 degree tilt and swing adapter (also 34mm) for even more creative or precise possibilities. I really don't see too much to complain about with Alpa's approach.

    Respectfully,
    Paul Slotboom

  28. #28
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Paul any idea on the projected price of say the body only. My interest is up and love to try this thing out
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  29. #29
    Optechs Digital
    Guest

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Paul any idea on the projected price of say the body only. My interest is up and love to try this thing out

    Hi Guy,

    I know what the target price point for the body is but I have given my word to Alpa to keep it confidential until they make the formal announcement for this and other new products. I believe the final prices will be announced at Photokina or shortly afterwards. So only one month to wait!!

    Best,
    Paul

  30. #30
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Thanks Paul totally understand
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Paul: what I am seeking to illuminate about stitching with the Alpa system, that is kept somewhat under wraps (have you read this clearly explained elsewhere in honest terms?) is that is has its shortcomings with the narrow body aperture that requires you to use the 34mm spacer, and order short barrel versions of lenses, to get full stitching ability of medium focal length lenses.

    oh, and that 34mm spacer is how much - $700 more, $800? - on top of very highly marked up lenses already. So to make up for a design shortfall, we have to spend $750 for an empty spacer box?!

    ok - that is a complaint and worth making! Yes it is a good system, (I own 2 bodies) but not one without its compromises and weaknesses. It is worth people knowing of those clearly, and not thinking it is designed by Gods!

  32. #32
    Optechs Digital
    Guest

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    Paul: what I am seeking to illuminate about stitching with the Alpa system, that is kept somewhat under wraps (have you read this clearly explained elsewhere in honest terms?) is that is has its shortcomings with the narrow body aperture that requires you to use the 34mm spacer, and order short barrel versions of lenses, to get full stitching ability of medium focal length lenses.

    oh, and that 34mm spacer is how much - $700 more, $800? - on top of very highly marked up lenses already. So to make up for a design shortfall, we have to spend $750 for an empty spacer box?!

    ok - that is a complaint and worth making! Yes it is a good system, (I own 2 bodies) but not one without its compromises and weaknesses. It is worth people knowing of those clearly, and not thinking it is designed by Gods!
    Thanks for the reply Narikin,

    I guess that our opinions differ in that I don't see any of this as a shortcoming or design flaw. I believe Alpa has developed a solution to a situation that occurs on cameras and is not exclusive to Alpa.

    The spacer is extra expense, currently a little under $600.00. Not inexpensive but also not $700.00-$800.00 and only one is needed regardless of how many SB lenses one has.

    Of course Alpa has compromises and weaknesses as you say, but what in life doesn't? Actually, I can think of a couple Northwest Micro-brews that are perfect with no compromise but that is a topic for a new thread that would require moderator approval...

    Do you really want Alpa to design a whole new camera system that would be bigger and heavier with a new lens mount that would be bigger and heavier and would not work with your two existing Alpa bodies, just to fix a problem that in my opinion does not exist?

    I will, however, cover this topic in complete straightforward detail and add it to my article on short barrel lenses that is on my site.

    Thank you for this good dialogue.
    Paul

  33. #33
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Micro Brews are Approved. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  34. #34
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by Optechs Digital View Post
    Of course Alpa has compromises and weaknesses as you say, but what in life doesn't? Actually, I can think of a couple Northwest Micro-brews that are perfect with no compromise but that is a topic for a new thread that would require moderator approval...
    Thank you for this good dialogue.
    Paul
    Paul

    For the non native people in this forum , can you please let me know , what you mean by : Northwest Micro-brews ? ? ? :-)

    BTW , all cameras have compromises and weaknesses . Even those fully electronic brands , who claim to be the best cameras in the world . Hahaha
    I can very well live with the ALPA System , I love it and I am very much looking forward to learn about the new things coming up at PHOTOKINA .
    Especially the STC and the precision sharpening devices .
    I only regret , that I did not come across the ALPA earlier .

    Jürgen

  35. #35
    Optechs Digital
    Guest

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Paul

    For the non native people in this forum , can you please let me know , what you mean by : Northwest Micro-brews ? ? ? :-)

    BTW , all cameras have compromises and weaknesses . Even those fully electronic brands , who claim to be the best cameras in the world . Hahaha
    I can very well live with the ALPA System , I love it and I am very much looking forward to learn about the new things coming up at PHOTOKINA .
    Especially the STC and the precision sharpening devices .
    I only regret , that I did not come across the ALPA earlier .

    Jürgen
    Hello Jurgen,

    Northwest Micro Brew = BEER!!

    Micro Brew just means a small brewery that produces relatively small quantity.

    Northwest means that it is made in corner of the world in the great state of Washington.

    I heard that the Germans know a little bit about beer too.

    I heard a rumor that Alpa is also producing a new line of beer. They promise that after you have a few it will swing, tilt and shift you, cause massive distortion and you will probably need some stitching at the end of the night.

    Have a great weekend,
    Paul

  36. #36
    Senior Member stephengilbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    2,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Jurgen,

    A small brewery, ostensibly offering a high quality beer or ale. Seattle (in the Northwest) has many microbreweries: http://www.gonorthwest.com/Washingto...obreweries.htm. So when you visit OpTechs, you can drink as well.

    Steve

    P.S. I'm sure Guy knows more about this subject than I do.

  37. #37
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Thank you Paul and Steve for the nice explanation .
    Hopefully Micro-brew does not mean Micro-drink .

    I wanted to test my new SB 5,6/90 Digaron-W by tomorrow but we have rain , rain and rain again .

    I wish you a nice weekend .

    Regards Jürgen

  38. #38
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,800
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    I wanted to test my new SB 5,6/90 Digaron-W by tomorrow but we have rain , rain and rain again .
    Jurgen,

    Funny enough I just got one of these yesterday and all it's done is rain here too!

    Btw, I see that Alpa actually has a listing of the new items at their site:
    http://www.alpa.ch/en/news/2010/alpa...tml?year=&num=

    I find it kind of ironic that such a basic system now includes an iPod/iPhone holder I've been using the Viewfinder Pro iPhone app myself recently and it's excellent. It also makes for handy reference checks too, for example:
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 16th September 2010 at 04:26.

  39. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    I wanted to test my new SB 5,6/90 Digaron-W by tomorrow but we have rain , rain and rain again .
    my current obsession is with the Digaron-S line:

    - amazing resolution by F5.6!
    - 15 lens elements!
    - F4.0!
    - extremely low chromatic aberrations on the 60 and 100mm!

    Unfortunately the price also needs a large "!" when its on an Alpa mount.

    Don't get so obsessed with stitching that you forget a lens you can walk and take pictures without a tripod...
    Last edited by narikin; 16th September 2010 at 04:34.

  40. #40
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Jurgen,

    Funny enough I just got one of these yesterday and all it's done is rain here too!

    Btw, I see that Alpa actually has a listing of the new items at their site:
    http://www.alpa.ch/en/news/2010/alpa...tml?year=&num=

    I find it kind of ironic that such a basic system now includes an iPod/iPhone holder I've been using the Viewfinder Pro iPhone app myself recently and it's excellent. It also makes for handy reference checks too, for example:
    Yesterday I have installed the VIEWFINDER PRO on my iPHONE .
    It is a quite a nice tool , but i do not understand the wide angle adapter feature .
    My expectations are , that the viewfinder pro serves me as a kind of pocket viewfinder and that I can easily decide , which of my lenses is the one I should mount . Fine , if no wide angle adapter factor is turned on
    But if I use the wide angle factor for the DIGARON 28mm , for example , the frame for the 90 is now much smaller , but I now see the frame for the 28 mm lens . Now , what frame is true ? ? ?
    Somehow , I do not understand the different frame sizes . I know , the frames are reduced by the factor , but am confused , which frame size is the correct one .
    Sorry , I am unable to explain better , but still hope for an answer .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  41. #41
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,800
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Jurgen,

    This is kind of OT from Paul's original thread but here goes anyway:

    The viewfinder application can only use the optical image from the iPhone camera with it's native FoV. For wide angle lenses the physical image can only cover a portion of the total view and so if you set up 28mm as a lens with the Alpa then you'll only see an image that covers 80 percent or so of the total view with the remainder displayed with shaded light/grey lines. If you add a 3rd party wide angle lens adapter to the iPhone the you will be expanding the optical FoV & coverage and so now you can zoom the image to see the full view. With a wide angle adapter fitted and the full 28mm lens view selected you will see the longer lens viewfinder masks smaller on screen. You can zoom in if you want have a more detailed view but it's just a display zoom, not an optical zoom.

    Does that make sense?

  42. #42
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Jurgen,

    This is kind of OT from Paul's original thread but here goes anyway:

    The viewfinder application can only use the optical image from the iPhone camera with it's native FoV. For wide angle lenses the physical image can only cover a portion of the total view and so if you set up 28mm as a lens with the Alpa then you'll only see an image that covers 80 percent or so of the total view with the remainder displayed with shaded light/grey lines. If you add a 3rd party wide angle lens adapter to the iPhone the you will be expanding the optical FoV & coverage and so now you can zoom the image to see the full view. With a wide angle adapter fitted and the full 28mm lens view selected you will see the longer lens viewfinder masks smaller on screen. You can zoom in if you want have a more detailed view but it's just a display zoom, not an optical zoom.

    Does that make sense?
    OK Graham

    Understood . So I will have to add a 3rd party wide angle adapter to obtain the full function of the iphone viewfinder pro .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  43. #43
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Here is one that I saw but I haven't seen anything appear for the iPhone 4

    http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/rev...-apple-iphone/

  44. #44
    Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,790
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    IMO the iPhone app is of limited usability.

    This may serve you better:

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...A=endecaSearch


    Bob

  45. #45
    Member JSK Rangefinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    not long ago i've received an email with regards to Alpa to Keep the Faith

    I think they had to step it up.. so far so good

  46. #46
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Jurgen,

    Funny enough I just got one of these yesterday and all it's done is rain here too!

    Btw, I see that Alpa actually has a listing of the new items at their site:
    http://www.alpa.ch/en/news/2010/alpa...tml?year=&num=

    I find it kind of ironic that such a basic system now includes an iPod/iPhone holder I've been using the Viewfinder Pro iPhone app myself recently and it's excellent. It also makes for handy reference checks too, for example:
    Graham

    Here the wether is still pour and I had no chance up to now for any test
    of my new beauty , the DIGARON-W 5,6/90mm .
    We are getting new windows on all floors of the house and I had to pack all my gear and protect it against dust . So there will not be a new chance within the next week either .
    Could you do any shots yet ? ? ? If so , what are your first impressions ? ?

    I believe that smart phones will take over more and more jobs in our daily life , especially in photography . If the APPS are useful or not is up to the user to decide .
    The viewfinder pro will be a good solution for me as I always have my iphone with . For my current main project , houses and modern architecture , I am usually at the location (with my LUMIX G1 , which I use as a kind of digital polaroid) , before I do the shooting . And then I could easily determine which lens or lenses I will need .
    I am fed up with carrying loads of heavy gear .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  47. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    876
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Well I don't have the Alpa version of the DIGARON-W 5,6/90mm, but I had it for my Linhof and I can tell you it is a amazing lens. Sharp wide open and a huge image circle. Great to shoot.

  48. #48
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,800
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    My Alpa mount short-barrel Digaron-W 90/5.6 & spacer only arrived on Wednesday and work & weather have kept me from using it yet. I am looking forward to spending a dedicated photography week getting to know it though starting from Saturday.

  49. #49
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    My Alpa mount short-barrel Digaron-W 90/5.6 & spacer only arrived on Wednesday and work & weather have kept me from using it yet. I am looking forward to spending a dedicated photography week getting to know it though starting from Saturday.

    Lucky man you are .
    Have a lovely weekend with lots of good shots .
    I am just packing my last gear to get it dust protected .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  50. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa Photokina Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    IMO the iPhone app is of limited usability.
    This may serve you better:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...A=endecaSearch
    Bob
    All these are kind of useful, but I need something ON the camera when I'm using the TC handheld.

    Remember that not everyone uses an ALPA on a tripod - you can walk around with these cameras and take pictures in the everyday way!

    So for a framing/ viewfinder device ON the camera... I've had the Alpa one but found it too very-wide angle oriented, the Linhof Zoom finder works better for my purposes, and covers wide to normal to mild tele in one device, with parallax correction.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •