The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H3D flash advice

kuau

Workshop Member
I need to get a flash for my H3D-39
I am going to be doing outdoor family portraits
Hasselblad recommends Metz with the sac 3902 adapter
Is this a good solution
Thanks

Steven

fotografz

I need to get a flash for my H3D-39
I am going to be doing outdoor family portraits
Hasselblad recommends Metz with the sac 3902 adapter
Is this a good solution
Thanks

Steven
Yes, that is correct ... and the best solution I know of for on-camera flash with the H camera. Once mounted, the camera takes over all functions such as compensation, etc.

If you are going to do portraits frequently, you may find a shoe-mount limited in possibilities, but for casual fill needs it is fine.

I use a Metz in the shoe in conjunction with a battery powered strobe. This is needed when the shoe-mount isn't up to the power needed to balance the ambient lighting. Plus strobes allow placement of light where you want it rather than flat front-on lighting. Shoe mounts are typically 80-90 w/s max, where a modest battery strobe is 320 or 400 w/s.

Here is an example:

Extraordinarily bright and hazy day at 2PM placed the subjects in the only shaded area available, (I often can't pick my time or place when shooting a wedding). Key battery strobe light directionally placed camera left, on camera Metz used for fill. Without enough light on the subjects, the background would have been over-exposed, and the dappled light from the trees falling on the subjects would have made them look like Dalmatians : -).

-Marc

kuau

Workshop Member
Marc,
Which model Metz do you use on shoe-mount Camera? What is your opinion of the larger Metz 76?
In reagards to battery strobes and preference? I need something that will work in cold weather, snow.

Thanks
Steven