The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One, Mamiya and Profoto Announce First Vertical Grip With Built-in Flash Techno

vieri

I was waiting for the grip since I bought into the Phase system - now it's (almost) here, and offers much more than I expected: beside the grip itself for portrait shooting, and the expected capability to use Phase batteries to power the camera, the unexpected Profoto wireless control together with the unexpected L bracket will both be great plusses for me (even if - as all things in MF land - it comes at a price...). Now - when will delivery start? :D

Dan Santoso

Does the grip wireless control work fine with other strobe makers such as broncolor, hensel, bowens, etc to give you 1/1600 with no exposure loss whatsoever with the use of Profoto Air Transceiver?

Well for $1200 it better be!!

Thanks

yaya

Yes, as long as your packs support it and if your back is a recent Aptus-II, DM, p40+ or P65+

Yair

kdphotography

Well I bought the 80 LS today so not feeling like a lost child anymore. Have to keep the train running. LOL

BTW hope to have this and any other announced items at our October workshop for folks to try.
Don't forget: Photos of the DF with the grip, on the Cube, and impressions. (You might as well get the Cube too Guy, while you're at it....)

:D

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Don't forget: Photos of the DF with the grip, on the Cube, and impressions. (You might as well get the Cube too Guy, while you're at it....)

For some unknown reason he refuses to be assimilated.
Guy, resistance is futile....
-bob

symbolphoto

Well just a heads up, i use the Elinchrom Speeds on the Hasselblad at 1/800th, (no 1/1600th:( ) no problem. I know you want to know about 1600th, but just to reaffirm it works fine with 800th.

Don Libby

-bob
Guy - I wanted to make certain you knew we haven't been speaking about this Cube ... :ROTFL::ROTFL:

(Arca Cube not Honda Cube)

Last edited:

Tim Ernst

Dumb question here - why are they calling this an "L" bracket? You still have to purchase and attach a camera plate in order to mount the camera in landscape, correct, or am I missing something?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Dumb question here - why are they calling this an "L" bracket? You still have to purchase and attach a camera plate in order to mount the camera in landscape, correct, or am I missing something?
Perhaps it might best be called a "P" bracket?
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
-bob
Someone has to be the outcast. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

waiting for Photokinia and see what is out there. I actually use a Arca P1 which i really like except it will not rotate down 90 degrees which bugs me sometimes.

Don I need that car first. LOL

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Someone has to be the outcast. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

waiting for Photokinia and see what is out there. I actually use a Arca P1 which i really like except it will not rotate down 90 degrees which bugs me sometimes.

Don I need that car first. LOL
See if John can mill out a slot for it.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Looks like we may need a very small plate in the grip. The issue i see is when it is in your hand than you will have the plate in the palm of your hand . That would be uncomfortable but this looks to come off really fast too and just drop in the battery pack like normal if your shooting handheld.

I know for me when I am doing that runway gig two or three times a year in vertical mode on a monopod my hands get so sore from coming over the top and with my arthritis it is a nightmare. This would be awesome for me

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
With a camera with vertical grip, if you shoot both ways, often the hand strap is just never where you want it.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Would probably end up with two of them one for vert and one for horiz.
I use the Hassy strap too.
I wonder how that would work?
-bob

nkbitsch

Also not clear if the bottom tripod mount has the same two anchor hole points as the DF camera body's bottom mount. One of the dealer-info images shows it without those anchor holes but I'm hoping that's just a mockup image and the actual shipping product will have the traditional Mamiya anti-slip holes so we can all use our existing quick release plates.
Here is the answer:

This is an image of the production unit.

photo gear

Guy Mancuso

Thanks looks like we just have to come up with a small RRS or Kirk plate. The part that bugs me is if you have your hand in the grip you will have to negotiate the plate with your hand. Now going back up to the images posted it looks like the plate itself has a release on the L bracket. The second image on either side of the screw down knob it looks like two release buttons to take the L bracket on and off. As you can see in image 1 and 3 it is off and than on in 3 so there must be a release. This is pretty interesting

Guy Mancuso

another image CI had on there site. Looks pretty dang sexy too me. Might just have to put my order in