The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase 110mm LS / Having bad thoughts

Tim Ernst

Thanks Jack - I didn't even think about the LF having to CLOSE first! That all seems kind of awkward, especially with that much of a delay - almost like in slow motion. I guess it would be a four-part sequence before actual exposure if you did not use MLU with the press of the button - with the LS having to close and then open again, and the FS having to open, and the mirror going up - how can you get a sharp image at all that way, ha! Guess you just need to add more gin....Guy I would be really interested to hear what one of those guys says about it....

All a mute point, of course, if you buy these lenses to use with flash, which is really what they were designed for. I was just hoping they would be able to reduce the vibration for us long-exposure and slow-moving nature photogs...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I will see if Doug can find out the whole process. Be interesting to hear how it is done. I need to get out and just try it with the new lens. LOL

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Jack - I didn't even think about the LF having to CLOSE first! That all seems kind of awkward, especially with that much of a delay - almost like in slow motion. I guess it would be a four-part sequence before actual exposure if you did not use MLU with the press of the button - with the LS having to close and then open again, and the FS having to open, and the mirror going up - how can you get a sharp image at all that way, ha! Guess you just need to add more gin....Guy I would be really interested to hear what one of those guys says about it....
Well, there is the relationship between the amount of gin consumed, body mass, Tripod mass, MUP LS etc. and the degree to which one cares about sharpness.
At 110 mm and a decent tripod and head, the primary shutter vibrations might actually have died down enough by the time the leaf shutter closes then re-opens to not make a difference at all. At 300mm on the other hand, it might be a bit more important. It sounds to me that a well controlled series of tests might be in order but the gin ought to be omitted as much as I find that idea repugnant.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I will see if Doug can find out the whole process. Be interesting to hear how it is done. I need to get out and just try it with the new lens. LOL
Guy, you can see and hear it.
Look into my lens LOL
-bob

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

FWIW I did ask this question of a Phase engineer - Claus Molgaard - and he confirmed that the FP shutter opens immediately before the leaf shutter. As Bob says, you can see it and hear it too!
Bill

David Klepacki

Yes, I double checked the actual operation of the shutters by looking into the lens. Indeed, the focal plane shutter fires before the leaf shutter, and not when the mirror is locked up. However, the images "seem" to be just a tad sharper when using the leaf shutter than when using the focal plane shutter, but I have not actually tested with resolution charts.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Be very interested in your assessment of the 55, Guy.

I doubt I'll go for the 110 because I have the 120D and rarely use flash. But I do like the Schneider optics in the 80 and 55 LS lenses. The helicoid seems smoother than my Phasmiya lenses too.

Keep us posted!

Bill

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Bill looking forward to it. My only issue is my P40+ back is on it's way home to the mother ship to get the hardware upgrade so I am without the back till maybe late next week or so. Which is fine I want to upgrade my back anyway

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have used the 110LS on three shoots now and I have to admit that as far as studio shooting is concerned it has become my new body-cap.
With a P65+ it is just a nearly perfect all-around focal length. Close-in head-shots are just about the only situation where I find myself looking for a few more mm.
Good work Schneider/Phase
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
What Bob said. I've had mine for about three weeks and it is an awesome lens. I was concerned the 110 would be a little short and not enough longer than the 80 to be really useful, but in use it is just a very sweet focal on full frame. Ditto the 55, thought it wouldn't be quite wide enough, but turns out to be in a really sweet-spot focal. The trio covers about 90% of my needs, and they all render similarly and beautifully.

P

Porpoise

Actually, it does and it doesn't.
The lens does not creep in the AF position, only the MF position (much as my 80D will do).
When in AF, this particular lens will simply allow you to set the af lock, but keep on focusing away with the focus ring with no problem and no creep.
The problem shows also with the use of extension tubes which interrupt the connection between the lens and the focus motor. In that case it does not help.
-bob
On page 30 of the 645DF User Guide is written:
"While the camera is operated in auto focus mode, lenses without the focus mode selector ring will automatically be in auto focus. Do not touch the focus ring as you may cause internal damage to the camera auto focus motor."
Is this only a problem during autofocusing, or also afterwards when AF is locked?

G

geyerstudio

The following three images of Erin were all taken on the same day with a 110mm LS on a IQ180 (that B3K digital in Toronto kindly provided since mine had not arrived yet :) All have benefited from some processing in c1. I love this lens but did decide to pick up the 150mm 2.8 for a bit more compression.

and

and

G

Googaliser

Certainly wasn't expecting that whilst enjoying my early morning coffee in the office and reading about the 110... :eek:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Looks good to me. I particularly noticed the lack of distortion with the bricks and doorway, oh and err, nice skin tones. :D

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
On page 30 of the 645DF User Guide is written:
"While the camera is operated in auto focus mode, lenses without the focus mode selector ring will automatically be in auto focus. Do not touch the focus ring as you may cause internal damage to the camera auto focus motor."
Is this only a problem during autofocusing, or also afterwards when AF is locked?
It is not a problem at at least for me.
When the AF coupling is disengaged, there is no mechanical restraint to the motion of the focus rung other than internal friction. That is why is creeps. It might be a problem in a copy-table setup if manual focus were desired.
-bob

P

Porpoise

It is not a problem at at least for me.
When the AF coupling is disengaged, there is no mechanical restraint to the motion of the focus rung other than internal friction. That is why is creeps. It might be a problem in a copy-table setup if manual focus were desired.
-bob
As a solution against that creeping it was suggested: "... to set the af lock, but keep on focusing away with the focus ring ...". However, the user guide seems to warn that this might cause damage to the AF motor. Now I am wondering about the correct answer with respect to the 110 mm LS:
A Nonsense, you can't kill the AF motor by turning the focus ring in any smart design.
B You're safe as long as the AF motor is kept passive with AFL.
C The camera might explode if you ever dare to touch the focus ring in AF mode.
Anybody?

PS To which part of the title of this thread are those last pictures referring to? :ROTFL:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
As a solution against that creeping it was suggested: "... to set the af lock, but keep on focusing away with the focus ring ...". However, the user guide seems to warn that this might cause damage to the AF motor. Now I am wondering about the correct answer with respect to the 110 mm LS:
A Nonsense, you can't kill the AF motor by turning the focus ring in any smart design.
B You're safe as long as the AF motor is kept passive with AFL.
C The camera might explode if you ever dare to touch the focus ring in AF mode.
Anybody?

PS To which part of the title of this thread are those last pictures referring to? :ROTFL:
A most likely
As for bad thoughts, I don't know what you are talking about.
-bob

gogopix

Subscriber
I took the 110LS on a morning tour around town.
Leaves, Wayland Library

The color rendition is just a touch less green than the 120 Macro and this is very slight
-bob
"........a touch less green ......:eek:

I wouldn't "touch" at alll- that poison ivy! :ROTFL: