Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Phase 110mm LS / Having bad thoughts

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phase 110mm LS / Having bad thoughts

Okay I need to see some images from this lens. My 80 LS comes today but the 110 sounds very interesting to me. So who has it and can we see some images from it. Your chance to make my bank account go up in smoke.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Phase 110mm LS / Having bad thoughts

If someone would just buy Jack's Phase 120 (http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18932), I'm sure he'd be happy to fill you in on the 110 LS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    If someone would just buy Jack's Phase 120 (http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18932), I'm sure he'd be happy to fill you in on the 110 LS.
    Tell me. Except not even a nibble on any of that. I'm beginning to wonder what's wrong with me, getting a complex...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack and Guy,
    I will tell you all about it tomorrow.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Certainly hope so. I am knitting my ski mask as fast as possible for my visit to the bank. It's purple this time with triangle holes for seeing and breathing. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't own the 110 LS but I have used one courtesy of Kevin Raber/Phase One. Others who shot with it more extensively than me said that it rivaled the 120 macro D for sharpness. I saw nothing in my shots to contradict them tho' I did no direct comparisons.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I have used two samples for quite decent number of days, and both had serious focusing errors at mid-distance. They are fine for studio work, and maybe infinity, but mid-distance had a huge number of mis-focused images - usually front focus completely missing the subject. Unfortunately I am not alone in this conclusion, and I hear that Phase are investigating.

If you work close up go ahead, but for middle distance work (20-100ft) at wide apertures using AF - then beware.

Ben Norton

I used all three of the LS lenses on a job on Tuesday just gone and had absolutely no issues whatsoever. Great results and the customer was very happy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Norton View Post
    I used all three of the LS lenses on a job on Tuesday just gone and had absolutely no issues whatsoever. Great results and the customer was very happy!
    What distances were you shooting at though? Makes all the difference. It is a known issue with Phase, but of course YMMV...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just got mine and looked at the focus at 7 and 14 feet.
    I think it is pretty well behaved, in that wide open it has a touch of front focus but at one stop down it begins to shift back but keeps the focus point in the dof, at two stops down it evens out nicely.
    7 feet f/2.8
    Attachment 34653

14 feet f/2.8
    Attachment 34654

14 feet f/4
    Attachment 34655

14 feet f/5.6
    Attachment 34656

not bad at all and well behaved, but it does exhibit a bit of focus shift which is not unexpected with that design.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but if you read my post (...) I agreed it works ok-ish at studio distances, but not at mid distance. Try it at 30-40 ft, at f2.8 - f3.5, and see what you get over 100 shots in the real world, (not a test chart in a studio on a tripod!)

In those conditions, I barely get 20% in focus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    Yes, but if you read my post (...) I agreed it works ok-ish at studio distances, but not at mid distance. Try it at 30-40 ft, at f2.8 - f3.5, and see what you get over 100 shots in the real world, (not a test chart in a studio on a tripod!)

In those conditions, I barely get 20% in focus.
    Well I shot a dozen in a row in the yard at mid distances and got 100% in focus (exposure was another matter LOL)
    Tomorrow I will take it out for a more extensive shoot; I will report back.
    -bob

Ben Norton

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    What distances were you shooting at though? Makes all the difference. It is a known issue with Phase, but of course YMMV...
    10 shots - 500-550 frames altogether at distances between 6 feet to 40-50 feet. Only frames that were out of focus were due to motion blur with the photographer not shooting at a fast enough shutter speed. Otherwise everything was pin.

Were you using a pre production model perhaps?

Ben Norton

This was with a DF body and an Aptus II 8 if it makes any difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was using a DF body in my "front yard" trial.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I took the 110LS on a morning tour around town.
    Sudbury River

I liked the smooth and calm bokeh

In the vicinity of the Central Massachusetts Railroad Freight House

Autofocus works well, front focus at f/2.8 with target just about at the limit of DOF at f/4 it slides back as the ruler test shows

Leaves, Wayland Library

The color rendition is just a touch less green than the 120 Macro and this is very slight

Mums the word

another f/2.8 example

Hartwell Tavern vertical stitch

Over a three hour period, I had no particular problem with focus at any distance as long as I minded the f/2.8 front focus tendency.

It is in many ways reminiscent of the 120 Macro in appearance but with an additional stop, autofocus and leaf shutter. With a set of tubes in my kit, the 120 macro will go on the block.
    -bob
    Last edited by Bob; 28th August 2010 at 03:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bob, you might want to actually test this new lens with the tubes behind it before offing your 120 -- just a thought.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One annoying thing with the 110LS is that when in MF mode the lens focus drifts under the lens' own weight when pointed straight upward or downward. It is pretty annoying watching the focus ring turn under the force of gravity.
    Looks like it is focus then nail it down with a bit of gaffer tape.
    -bob
    Last edited by Bob; 31st August 2010 at 04:47.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    It is pretty annoying watching the focus ring turn under the force of gravity.
    honestly... I'd return the lens. This is a kind of design flaw you don't want to work around long term...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One annoying thing with the 110LS is that when in MF mode the lens focus drifts under the lens' own weight when pointed upward or downward. It is pretty annoying watching the focus ring turn under the force of gravity.
    Looks like it is focus then nail it down with a bit of gaffer tape.
    -bob
    http://www.phaseone.com/en/search/ar...8&languageid=1

Would that help?

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
    RSS Feed: Subscribe
    Buy Capture One at 10% off
    Personal Work

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually, it does and it doesn't.
    The lens does not creep in the AF position, only the MF position (much as my 80D will do).
    When in AF, this particular lens will simply allow you to set the af lock, but keep on focusing away with the focus ring with no problem and no creep.
    The problem shows also with the use of extension tubes which interrupt the connection between the lens and the focus motor. In that case it does not help.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

This behavior of "lens creeping" on the 110 LS is also apparent with my copy of the lens as well. It does not happen with my 55 LS.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Guy (and Bob) what have you done?

I'm not sure I have anything left in studio that I can part with. Still need that getaway driver, Guy?

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David Klepacki View Post
    This behavior of "lens creeping" on the 110 LS is also apparent with my copy of the lens as well. It does not happen with my 55 LS.
    So bottom line on the lens creep issue, it is pretty much a non issue for me since it only happens when the lens or body is set to MF mode or a close-up extension tube is used AND the lens is pointed pretty much straight up or straight down. At a 45 degree angle even with tubes, the lens does not creep.
    So in general, if no tubes are in use, just set the body and lens to AF and the Custom settings to AF only on the AF button press and not on a shutter half press and it is just fine.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

One question about this and the other new LS lenses - when you lock the mirror up, does the focal shutter open at that time also, or does it only open after you press the shutter button to fire the camera? In other words, when using the leaf shutter, are you able to calm down the CLUNK of the focal shutter first before making the exposure, or is the vibration of the focal shutter still there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ernst View Post
    One question about this and the other new LS lenses - when you lock the mirror up, does the focal shutter open at that time also, or does it only open after you press the shutter button to fire the camera? In other words, when using the leaf shutter, are you able to calm down the CLUNK of the focal shutter first before making the exposure, or is the vibration of the focal shutter still there?
    In MUP position, upon shutter press it goes mirror up, not when it is put in that position.
    There is actually a pretty good reason for it to behave in this manner I think since metering is disabled once that mirror goes up.
    In mup mode the sound is clunk in first press and whir-snick on second.

-bob

Post Thanks / Like

OK thanks - I was hoping that vibration issues would be reduced by using a leaf shutter lens, but I guess that is not the case. Oh well...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim, it's a two-step process: You press once and mirror goes up. Pause. You press a second time and shutter fires. Then after the exposure, the mirror falls back into place.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Tim, it's a two-step process: You press once and mirror goes up. Pause. You press a second time and shutter fires. Then after the exposure, the mirror falls back into place.
    I thought I said that but you said it more clearly
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's all about how you say it 'Doctor' Bob
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK thanks - I was hoping that vibration issues would be reduced by using a leaf shutter lens, but I guess that is not the case. Oh well...
    I really don't know.
    Some time lapses between the focal plane shutter and the leaf shutter.
    I just don't know how much and it also depends on how well damped your support system is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Okay I need to see some images from this lens. My 80 LS comes today but the 110 sounds very interesting to me. So who has it and can we see some images from it. Your chance to make my bank account go up in smoke.
    Hi Guy,
    I've had this lens for a few months now and have not used it as extensively as I'd like but I think it's pretty good. I've not had focus issues (for me it's mainly a studio-distance lens though) but mine focusses with a really really high hit rate. Posted some comments and coupla examples here
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16838
    where I also observed that the bokeh is generally nice but can get fussy on complex background and I posted an example.

Best
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Tim I made a switch in my plan and ordered the 55mm LS first but this is next for sure. I went through a whole scenario of options for me and thought the 55mm LS right now would be a better option but I still want the 110 LS. What I like from what I can tell from my 80 is just a more German look. Okay folks go what's that and it's hard to describe it has a softer feel and maybe slightly warmer in tonal range. Now don't get me wrong the 80D AF is a bargain for what you get sharp as a razor but just a slightly different look.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I'm aware how the MLU process works, I was just wondering if the focal plane shutter opened when the mirror did on the LS lenses to give vibrations time to settle down before the exposure - otherwise you can get vibration when that big old sucker opens unless enough time lapses before the beginning of the exposure. One way to test this sort of thing is to balance a nearly-full jigger on the lens and look at it closely (a very clear liquid, like gin, is preferred - Bombay is my first choice). The surface of the liquid will be jarred when the mirror is locked up, but it also will be jarred when the focal shutter OPENS, and it takes a little bit for the ripples on surface of the booze to settle down - this, of course, is how the image gets blurred just a bit during the exposure unless enough time has lapsed after the focal shutter opens (normally several seconds). A leaf shutter lens normally will not ripple the gin at all, certainly much less than a focal shutter would. But it sounds like the focal shutter on these lenses would still upset the gin. Oh well, at least you have a jigger of booze for your efforts!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you drink the gin first, you won't see the ripples

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ebe View Post
    If you drink the gin first, you won't see the ripples
    Ebe, glad to see a man who's got his priorities straight! Always drink first, you never know with all that mirror slap you might end up witnessing all that booze crashing on the floor...
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, the more times you run this test - it is important to empty the jigger after each test - then you will see all sorts of ripples no matter how secure your camera setup is. Some brands of booze produce more ripples so you have to be careful with selection, which is why Bombay was suggested to me 30 years ago by Boyd Norton...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would have thought that for a Phase back Aquavit would be the obvious choice...chilled in the freezer first. Or maybe Jaegermeister for German lenses and saki for those from Japan. As for Bombay gin... it'll do if there's no Hendrik's available

Optechs Digital

Thanks guys, I'm aware how the MLU process works, I was just wondering if the focal plane shutter opened when the mirror did on the LS lenses to give vibrations time to settle down before the exposure - otherwise you can get vibration when that big old sucker opens unless enough time lapses before the beginning of the exposure. One way to test this sort of thing is to balance a nearly-full jigger on the lens and look at it closely (a very clear liquid, like gin, is preferred - Bombay is my first choice). The surface of the liquid will be jarred when the mirror is locked up, but it also will be jarred when the focal shutter OPENS, and it takes a little bit for the ripples on surface of the booze to settle down - this, of course, is how the image gets blurred just a bit during the exposure unless enough time has lapsed after the focal shutter opens (normally several seconds). A leaf shutter lens normally will not ripple the gin at all, certainly much less than a focal shutter would. But it sounds like the focal shutter on these lenses would still upset the gin. Oh well, at least you have a jigger of booze for your efforts!
    Hi Tim,

This has got to be the best testing procedure I have ever heard of.

I will stop at the liquor store tonight to get my staff some testing supplies. I will take your recommendation and get Bombay.

I think we will probably have to limit our testing sessions to Friday afternoons. Thanks very much for the tip.

Best Regards,
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I do agree with David about freezing the gin for personal consumption (only problem is that the entire bottle goes down so fast and smooth that way that it never lasts very long), however it is best at room temperature for the testing so you can see even the smallest ripples in the surface from shutter vibrations.

Hey Paul, does that mean you may start having open houses on Friday PMs? Might be a good time to call up and make a deal on a new Alpa, ha! (Make sure that you keep the bottle in the freezer until AFTER you align my back tomorrow, ey!).

Optechs Digital

OK Tim,

I will shim it first and then run a three jigger shutter vibration test on it.....

Best Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can I watch. LOL

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Optechs Digital View Post
    OK Tim,

I will shim it first and then run a three jigger shutter vibration test on it.....

Best Paul
    I hope the hangover is cured before you get to shimming mine

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I hope the hangover is cured before you get to shimming mine
    3 jiggers of GOOD gin is hardly hangover material... Heck, 3 of Bob or David or Guy style MARTINIS is not hangover material!

PS: Paul, are you shimming the jigger or the Alpa???
    Jack

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

3 jiggers of good Gin is just a good start to the day in my experience

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Progressing through time and gear:
    Like I said not sure where I am going with this but I THINK I finally hit a point of being CONTENT....<snip>....At the end of the day or bottom line regardless of brand I am actually happy NOW. Tomorrow who the hell knows. LOL
    Thanks Tim I made a switch in my plan and ordered the 55mm LS first but this is next for sure. I went through a whole scenario of options for me and thought the 55mm LS right now would be a better option but I still want the 110 LS.
    Whew.....you had us worried there for awhile Guy. Glad to know that our fearless leader is still drinking the GAS koolaid, just like the rest of us.

Bad thoughts....keep 'em coming. It might be the only thing that pulls us out of this economic slump.

Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well done Gary !!!!!

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Well done Gary !!!!!
    . . . She says as she is contemplating the 28mm, 55 LS, 80 LS, 110 LS, and 150D for her "small kit" for the DF Body as a compliment to the Tech Cam, Lenses and Back!!!

Post Thanks / Like

So bottom line on the lens creep issue, it is pretty much a non issue for me since it only happens when the lens or body is set to MF mode or a close-up extension tube is used AND the lens is pointed pretty much straight up or straight down. At a 45 degree angle even with tubes, the lens does not creep.
    So in general, if no tubes are in use, just set the body and lens to AF and the Custom settings to AF only on the AF button press and not on a shutter half press and it is just fine.
    -bob
    You are lucky. I tried to use the 110LS with extension tubes for some macro work, where the lens happens to be pointed straight down. Of course, the lens creeps every single time and could not be used for this type of work. This means that the 120 macro lens is still needed in addition to this lens if you want to do some close up photography. I still think the 110LS lens is flawed because of this behavior. There was no such disclosure when purchasing this lens that it could not be used with tubes for macro work.