The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase P30 Plus in San Juan

BJNY

For the portrait photographer as well, the difference between waiting 1.1 seconds or 1.5 seconds for the ready beep is an eternity.

Graham Mitchell

For this reason, I don't get too excited about so called high ISO in MFD backs..the less light you feed these backs the less impressive the image IQ.
Have you seen this thread? http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1683

I just compared the noise with an ISO 800 sample from a Canon 40D available on dpreview.com. The Sinar back is better if anything.

Also, bear in mind when comparing noise that you should downsample the higher resolution back down to the resolution of the other back because downsampling actually helps to remove noise, so by the time you compare a 10MP image from a Canon with a downsampled image from the MFDB, the MFDB will probably be well ahead. (I just tried it and there was no comparison). No longer is high ISO such an achilles heel of the MFDB. Of course it would always be nice to see further improvements.

PeterA

Well I would describe the difference between .8 of a second and 9 frames a second even more of an eternity !!..LOL do teh math..Mind you, on 'portrait' photography, I must shoot differently, as the LAST thing I care about is frame speed..

For the portrait photographer as well, the difference between waiting 1.1 seconds or 1.5 seconds for the ready beep is an eternity.
Yes I read that thread thanks Graham, it didnt change my mind at all - and if anything reinforced my thinking about ISO and IQ. Mind you I am not familiar with the IQ of a Canon 40D - so maybe I need to do some catch-up research - I am grateful my Hasselblad shots dont LOOK like the canon ger I sold off! LOL

i think we all have to recognize the limitations of internet based pixel peeping - how 100% crops translate to real world printing and presenting is an interesting subject all is own.

BJNY

Mind you, on 'portrait' photography, I must shoot differently, as the LAST thing I care about is frame speed..
We all work differently.
My point is the digital back has to be ready when the photographer WANTS to press the shutter release.
I'm not advocating 50 captures per minute, but sometimes that's necessary depending on the subject and circumstances.

PeterA

sure - buy what works !

We all work differently.
My point is the digital back has to be ready when the photographer wants to press the shutter release.
I'm not advocating 50 captures per minute, but sometimes that's necessary depending on the subject and circumstances.

EH21

Jack,
Am I seeing red and green chroma blobs in the hair behind the ears on your statue sample crop? Or did I just have too much wine with dinner?
Eric

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well here is some noise shots the first series is at C1 defaults on noise. Which is Luminance at 25 and Color at 43 . This first series is at 1600 , I am still playing around to find the happy spot and they do have some noise but with a slight adjustment in noise they come up very clean and for 1600 I think pretty darn good without smearing. The adjusted noise is at Luminance 43 and color at 67. Now my settings maybe too much too little but they look pretty good to me

First the straight 1600 FF than a crop
Than next two with noise adjustment

Guy Mancuso

Same thing but this time at ISO 800

First the straight 800 FF than a crop
Than next two with noise adjustment

Guy Mancuso

I think ISO 800 is really damn good myself and 1600 maybe done in NN or another noise program could even be better but watching the deep shadows in the back and the door frame it cleans up fairly well indeed. The P 25 did good to ISO 400 but this was not the Plus series which adds another stop to it. So I am expecting ISO 400 on the P25s to be really good. I will test that when I get my back hopefully this week

Guy Mancuso

Another one no adjustments at 800 . i shot a lot at 800 just for fun and there really nice looking with regards to noise

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
Am I seeing red and green chroma blobs in the hair behind the ears on your statue sample crop? Or did I just have too much wine with dinner?
Eric
I think that may just be a patina on the statue, but cannot say for certain.

Guy Mancuso

Hope this helps , it was a little hard running hard tests when putting on a workshop at the same time but this certainly helped me making a decision between the 2 backs. I am pretty happy with the P25 non plus here at 400 so it can only get better. For some folks this means nothing because they will shoot at the lower ISO and so will i in most cases but there is not a chance in hell i could have done that fashion stuff at ISO 100 with no lighting and overcast skies and such. Sometimes the high ISO are make or break situations and i like to know i can tap that when i need it. Now as far as release time I noticed when shooting the fashion 1.25 seconds on the P30 plus could have been faster for me and the P25 plus is 1.5 and you can feel the difference sometimes. For fashion guys and wedding shooters and such this will be a decision call on camera / back speed and for some not even a thought. So depending what and how you are working some of this may mean nothing but I like to know the break down points so when your in the soup you can dig your butt out of it.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks for posting these, Guy. They are helpful in trying to make a determination on what I want/need to think about in terms of MF.

Kurt

Dale Allyn

Guy, thank you for these. To me, these look very usable at 800 and even 1600. Even the the noise which we see at 1600 will likely disappear (or reduce greatly) when an image is printed. The P30+ is quite impressive.

Guy Mancuso

Yes and even the 1600 it looks to me they would clean up even better in a NN program or some more fine tweaking in C1. Also I noticed in better light the files look even better. So this gives you some real options. One for me is how much do i really need Nikon in my family. Yes i have some stuff but this may reduce some also. One thing I was just chatting with Jack about was the Horseman SWDII with 35mm digitar lens that you can get with the P25 or 45 Plus backs. With the Horseman it is almost like a P&S with a Rangefinder viewer . For me I can almost sell my 35mm Mamiya ,my 150 4.5 and 200 2.8 manual focus manual stop down and go after the New Mamiya 150 2.8 D with AF and no stop down. This would give me a new lens kit with some of the best glass. Certainly giving me cause for thought. I am getting the Horseman for sure. Plus this makes for a amazing stitching camera. I can do a 4 shot stitch real easy with it.