The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase P30 Plus in San Juan

Dale Allyn

Great stuff, Guy.

For my typical applications, the shot of the guy in front of the dark, torn out store front (post #50), is very intriguing. At first blush I would have expected more noise back in the shadows, but see that it handled it very well.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Hope this helps , it was a little hard running hard tests when putting on a workshop at the same time but this certainly helped me making a decision between the 2 backs. I am pretty happy with the P25 non plus here at 400 so it can only get better. For some folks this means nothing because they will shoot at the lower ISO and so will i in most cases but there is not a chance in hell i could have done that fashion stuff at ISO 100 with no lighting and overcast skies and such. Sometimes the high ISO are make or break situations and i like to know i can tap that when i need it. Now as far as release time I noticed when shooting the fashion 1.25 seconds on the P30 plus could have been faster for me and the P25 plus is 1.5 and you can feel the difference sometimes. For fashion guys and wedding shooters and such this will be a decision call on camera / back speed and for some not even a thought. So depending what and how you are working some of this may mean nothing but I like to know the break down points so when your in the soup you can dig your butt out of it.
Guy you probably could have gained a little more speed when shooting the fashion by a little by setting the capture format to IIQS from IIQL.
The Raw files are smaller and have slightly more compression. Of course IIQL is preferred because of the lossless compression, but sometimes I think you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two formats.
Here is a handy table to give a reference as to the size of the RAW formats on all of the PhaseOne models:
Phase One Digital Back File Size Reference
Back ↑IIQ S* IIQ L* 8-bit TIFF 16-bit TIFF
P45+ 31 47 117 234
P30+ 25 37 93 186
P25+ 17 26 66 132
P21+ 15 22 64 128
P20+ 13 19 48 96

all sizes are in MB.

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration
My Blog
[email protected]

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Lance that is great to know and yes that may have helped a little. The trick is having good pace and i had that going , sometimes you just want to hit the damn button. LOL

But this little trick may have made it a touch faster. Also maybe a faster card in the back may have helped also. Need to find that out which is the fastest 8gb CF card on the market.

LJL

Lance that is great to know and yes that may have helped a little. The trick is having good pace and i had that going , sometimes you just want to hit the damn button. LOL

But this little trick may have made it a touch faster. Also maybe a faster card in the back may have helped also. Need to find that out which is the fastest 8gb CF card on the market.
Guy,
I started to look into this also. From what it looks like, Transcend, Delkin and SanDisk Extreme all have higher speed (UDMA) cards, and for the money, the Transcends are looking pretty good. The key to know is where the bottleneck really is. Usually that point is the camera writing to the card, so tests that show those real performances are important. I think Galbraith has updated some of his tests, but he does not test MFDBs from what I have seen, so that may be new ground for folks to start breaking. There seems to be a lot of variability across camera lines and cards, so testing may be in order to figure out what works best for your set-up, rather than card manufacturer "specs" that do not involve cameras.

LJ

P.S. Here is a link to some tests published by MyDigitalDiscount on the 16GB UDMA cards and readers. Looking like the Transcends and a FW800 reader are the most speed and best bang for the buck.

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/WSWrapper.jsp?mypage=StoreProductTesting.htm#tran300xvs

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

I have the new Delkin and it seems pretty fast . I will look at the Transcends . Had good luck with them with the M8

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Guy, also take a look at the SanDisk Extreme IV with their firewire 800 reader. Man, does that combo move some data around quickly! Using those and the Lexar Pro 300X cards both with my Leaf without any problems over the last few months with either.

harmsr

Workshop Member
I have been using 8GB cards of Sandisk Extreme IV which are 266x speed and the faster Hoodman 8GB cards which are 300x speed, along with the Hoodman firewire 800 reader.

No problems on my Nikon D3 or any of the Phase backs that I used in Puerto Rico.

The Hoodman are more expensive. Right now you can get the Sandisk cards from B&H for $150, then you get a $50 rebate on each one. I believe this ends at the end of May so hurry.

Best,

Ray

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Guy,
I started to look into this also. From what it looks like, Transcend, Delkin and SanDisk Extreme all have higher speed (UDMA) cards, and for the money, the Transcends are looking pretty good. The key to know is where the bottleneck really is. Usually that point is the camera writing to the card, so tests that show those real performances are important. I think Galbraith has updated some of his tests, but he does not test MFDBs from what I have seen, so that may be new ground for folks to start breaking. There seems to be a lot of variability across camera lines and cards, so testing may be in order to figure out what works best for your set-up, rather than card manufacturer "specs" that do not involve cameras.

LJ

P.S. Here is a link to some tests published by MyDigitalDiscount on the 16GB UDMA cards and readers. Looking like the Transcends and a FW800 reader are the most speed and best bang for the buck.

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/WSWrapper.jsp?mypage=StoreProductTesting.htm#tran300xvs

The UDMA interface inside the P+ backs can write at maximum speed allowed by the UDMA spec, which is about twice as fast as the Extreme IV cards, so if and when there are extreme V cards they will go even faster
in other words, the back is not the bottleneck and won't be for at least one more generation.

L
Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration
My Blog
[email protected]

Guy Mancuso

Great , my Horseman SWDII just came . Now this is cool stuff. This is going to be fun. Just FYI folks Lance and CI are a dream team to work with. They are on top of everything to get me running fast , even e-mails from Phase One welcoming me to the club. This is what I call REAL Professional service. My P25 Plus shipped today so wait time was very short but I have a back here to use until than. I need to work and they had gear in my hands ready to do that. Just flat out great service. My impression is these folks from the different systems will jump through hoops to get you going, gotta love that

Dale Allyn

Guy,

Congratulations on the receipt of the new gear.

I believe you still have the Mamiya back, is that correct? Is there a chance that you'll give us a few A-B comparisons between the Mamiya and the Phase, once you receive the P1 back? I'm hoping to learn if I can live with entry-level solution for a while or if I should wait until I can step up a bit. Timing isn't good for me to get something much beyond the Mamiya solution (or a used setup in a similar range), so I'm watching all of this very closely. I know what I want, but I'm going to have to take the journey in steps. :)

Guy Mancuso

Dale , Jim Collum bought the Mamiya ZD back for his IR work but this shot is just flat out scary. Shot this today at ISO 200 with the P25 that Lance loaned me until mine gets here Monday. Shot with a 150 Mamiya lens at 9.5. I need to airbrush no doubt but the detail is killing me.

Dale Allyn

Amazing detail, Guy. It looks like you have a bit of moire' on the jacket, but that can be fixed.

I'm not having a problem recognizing the quality in the P1 and similarly priced backs. I just need to do a side-by-side with the Mamiya to help decide if I should enjoy the Mamiya for a while (more affordable point of entry), or wait until I can get the next level up of back.

I won't be doing portraits or studio stuff, and I'm still trying to learn the strengths and weaknesses of each of these backs, as they pertain to application.

Guy Mancuso

I think the ZD is really nice also and Jack maybe able to post some more shots. I found the Zd lost a touch in the highlight details at the defaults but could be brought back in. The ZD is slow and ISO 200 is really the Max in my book and even has some noise but 50 and 100 are good and if you can wait 4 seconds for a review than it is a great entry point into MF. I think to chip away at this is get the new Phase One /Mamiya AFD-III body and buy a existing ZD but I would be careful because the ZD could be upgraded anytime soon here. We are starting to get close to Phtokinia and they may come out with a new back. Now right now if you went with any Phase back they are offering a free Phase One body and 80mm lens. That is a 5k value , others as well like Aptus are offering the same. So if you want to see what Lance can do here i suggest getting a quote and see if it is workable. The P30 Plus is about 1k less than the P25 plus so that may help also. It honestly is not as bad as it seems becuae the glass is not that expensive either until you get the D series but this is a 550 dollar 150mm used lens. Which I am going to sell to get the new 150mm 2.8D lens when it comes out plus there is a ton of used Mamiya glass out there even in AF style