The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase P30 Plus in San Juan

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
But really any of the 22mpx or 31mpx backs are all going to relatively the same with regards to detail and such. More functions and other things will be more of the consideration. I went for Phase for all the things I was looking for system, service, compatibility , functions , speed and all that plus i like C1. So it was a easy decision. Just a matter of money but in the end it really was not much more than any Leica system and actually maybe less. i don't like to count to much, it hurts. LOL

woodyspedden

I think the ZD is really nice also and Jack maybe able to post some more shots. I found the Zd lost a touch in the highlight details at the defaults but could be brought back in. The ZD is slow and ISO 200 is really the Max in my book and even has some noise but 50 and 100 are good and if you can wait 4 seconds for a review than it is a great entry point into MF. I think to chip away at this is get the new Phase One /Mamiya AFD-III body and buy a existing ZD but I would be careful because the ZD could be upgraded anytime soon here. We are starting to get close to Phtokinia and they may come out with a new back. Now right now if you went with any Phase back they are offering a free Phase One body and 80mm lens. That is a 5k value , others as well like Aptus are offering the same. So if you want to see what Lance can do here i suggest getting a quote and see if it is workable. The P30 Plus is about 1k less than the P25 plus so that may help also. It honestly is not as bad as it seems becuae the glass is not that expensive either until you get the D series but this is a 550 dollar 150mm used lens. Which I am going to sell to get the new 150mm 2.8D lens when it comes out plus there is a ton of used Mamiya glass out there even in AF style
Guy

I had and still have the Mamiya 711 and the entire Mamiya lens lineup for it. The 43mm lens for that camera is absolutely as good as any other lens I have seen and that includes my new 40 CFE IF! I think it is incredible that people are getting so polarized about Zeiss glass vs Mamiya (and lord knows I have over 15K tied up in my Zeiss V and FE lenses so I have every reason to be polar about this LOL). Mamiya always has produced good glass that was built in a way to be less expensive. Plus at that price points they had broad appeal so got the economies of scale to be profitable at their prices. Like all brands you have to be selective as not every piece of glass is a standard bearer but if you pick the right ones you will have a winner. JMHO YMMV

Woody

Dale Allyn

Thanks, Guy. This is kind of along my thinking. I've had something come up that is putting a wrench in my process, so I'm looking at the affordable entry options first. This forum has been incredibly helpful to me in this process.

I think the ZD is really nice also and Jack maybe able to post some more shots. I found the Zd lost a touch in the highlight details at the defaults but could be brought back in. The ZD is slow and ISO 200 is really the Max in my book and even has some noise but 50 and 100 are good and if you can wait 4 seconds for a review than it is a great entry point into MF. I think to chip away at this is get the new Phase One /Mamiya AFD-III body and buy a existing ZD but I would be careful because the ZD could be upgraded anytime soon here. We are starting to get close to Phtokinia and they may come out with a new back. Now right now if you went with any Phase back they are offering a free Phase One body and 80mm lens. That is a 5k value , others as well like Aptus are offering the same. So if you want to see what Lance can do here i suggest getting a quote and see if it is workable. The P30 Plus is about 1k less than the P25 plus so that may help also. It honestly is not as bad as it seems becuae the glass is not that expensive either until you get the D series but this is a 550 dollar 150mm used lens. Which I am going to sell to get the new 150mm 2.8D lens when it comes out plus there is a ton of used Mamiya glass out there even in AF style

Guy Mancuso

Okay I lowered it 3 times let's see if it happens. Funny thing is i do not see it in C1 at any percentage

Guy Mancuso

Not there , nice trick. Notice i have a focal shutter issue with this older AFD I body on the Sync setting . The other portrait i shot at 1/90 . Must be this body which is a loaner.

Guy Mancuso

Guy

I had and still have the Mamiya 711 and the entire Mamiya lens lineup for it. The 43mm lens for that camera is absolutely as good as any other lens I have seen and that includes my new 40 CFE IF! I think it is incredible that people are getting so polarized about Zeiss glass vs Mamiya (and lord knows I have over 15K tied up in my Zeiss V and FE lenses so I have every reason to be polar about this LOL). Mamiya always has produced good glass that was built in a way to be less expensive. Plus at that price points they had broad appeal so got the economies of scale to be profitable at their prices. Like all brands you have to be selective as not every piece of glass is a standard bearer but if you pick the right ones you will have a winner. JMHO YMMV

Woody

I think Woody we are so tuned to buying the best lenses in 35mm because we are pushing so hard for image quality and when we get to MF that really becomes a non issue. Yes lens matters here but does not seem as important than 35mm. Every lens I have is not expensive but man the results are. Now there not built like Leica's or Rollie and Hassy but they can produce nice images. I am finding this part out to be very interesting and I think it is because we are not trying to squeeze such a small portion of the lens sweet spot

schweikert

Guy,

Mamiya already announced another ZD back with double the buffer as the only noted upgrade due out this summer or there after. That was posted on Mamiya Japan website months back. Faster saving of the files, faster image review and a better screen would make the ZD back a top contender, but I don't think we will see any of those upgrades.

Guy Mancuso

Wanted to show you this color chart . Handles color very well here and a real red. BTW WB Kelvin on this is exactly 5600 and tint -2