The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P45 and PhaseOne 645DF?

ocarlo

greetings all good folks,
I have been contemplating a shift to fashion shooting, and am curious:
I have the older Phase One P45 non-plus and an RZ system, w/c I love. but am planning to get a much lighter faster system with autofocus for fashion.
Is the Phase One 645DF the only system that can use leaf shutter lenses,
or can the older models from Mamiya do that?
I am willing to invest in the Phase One camera and Schneider lenses, as it seems the AF is much improved, and the fast sync speeds are amazing.
I already have a Elinchrom Ranger kit x 2.

My P45 was modified for Live View. Will that work with the 645DF?
At the faster AF and sync speeds, will there be a problem with the P45 catching up?
Finally, any tips/links towards this setup working with an Ipad would be appreciated.
Many thanks in advance,
carlo

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Is the Phase One 645DF the only system that can use leaf shutter lenses, or can the older models from Mamiya do that?
Yes, only the Phase One DF or Mamiya DF. Older models are not compatible with the leaf shutter lens line.

My P45 was modified for Live View. Will that work with the 645DF? At the faster AF and sync speeds, will there be a problem with the P45 catching up?
The P45 non plus is of course slower shot-to-shot than something like a P40+ but I don't think you'll find it to be much of an issue.

Finally, any tips/links towards this setup working with an Ipad would be appreciated.
I've spent a lot of time examining the current lineup of VPN (screen sharing) options. My strong suggestion would be to put your head in the sand for a few months. Leaf has a fantastic tool for Leaf Digital Backs and Phase One bought Leaf. All tea leaves point towards a tool like that for Phase One backs in the next few months. Right now nothing I've found (and I've got a knack for this sort of thing) meets my requirements for speed, stability, robustness and simplicity.

See an early invitation I did back when I was still optimistic that such a setup could be done today and be fast/stable/roboust/simple:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10NE0QxWT0U

Many great things are coming in this regard, but the ad-hoc method (meaning pieced together from non dedicated options) are not there yet.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

ocarlo

Doug,
Many thanks for the precise info. Its exactly what I needed, and sounds like good news too, esp if good things are coming down the pipe. Fits my timeframe too.
One last thing. Will the old P45 with Live View enabled likely work with any future VPN options?
Thanks again.