The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help, I'm thinking of going with Sinar Hy6, 54 LV

PeterA

Victor I like buying new stuff - where can I buy a new Contax camera and lens system? Can I use my outstanding HC glass on this new Contax system? or is the Contax system a closed system?

Pete

T

thsinar

Thanks Chuck, to testify that we (Sinar and its distributors) care for our customers.

David's issues are already taken care of, of course. We never leave a customer alone, even if sometimes the response and addressing the issue isn't as fast as expected.

Thierry

As a current owner of a Jenoptik (Sinar) back, I can state with a certainty that they do not only care, they will see David's problems are all resolved. Whatever the cause, be it a hardware problem or a learning curve problem. Sinar only wants satisfied customers, from my own personal experience the past five years I have owned one of their products.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Always glad to support the manufacturers who have supported me Thierry. Now, we just need to get Sinar Bron, Inc. over here up to snuff so that problems such as these get resolved by someone here in the USA, and not have to be helped along from as far away as Thailand. <Grin>. But many thanks for helping my good friend David.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Victor I like buying new stuff - where can I buy a new Contax camera and lens system? Can I use my outstanding HC glass on this new Contax system? or is the Contax system a closed system?

Pete
Pete, I know of at least two different places you can actually still buy a new Contax 645 system. And yes, I would imagine with one of Son's adapters you could also use your HC glass on it, believe it or not. The camera is a dead system, no question about it. One that was widely sold, used in every rental department, and is built like a proverbial tank as far as reliability goes. In it's day, it was by far the most flexible system made, with an excellent set of usable glass. And to it's credit, my two are still working now several years later without a hiccup. Those of us who use them today swear by them, and for a reason.

T

thsinar

Yes, Chuck, you're right. I am actually in Malaysia, right now!

;)

Thierry

Always glad to support the manufacturers who have supported me Thierry. Now, we just need to get Sinar Bron, Inc. over here up to snuff so that problems such as these get resolved by someone here in the USA, and not have to be helped along from as far away as Thailand. <Grin>. But many thanks for helping my good friend David.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Yes, Chuck, you're right. I am actually in Malaysia, right now!

;)

Thierry
Whew, the heat this time of year over there must be miserable. Almost makes Florida seem tolerable :D Oh, and say hello to Ton Santipong next time you drop buy from me. I still want to get over there one of these days soon. Maybe for my honeymoon when Suzanne and I get married. She has been, I haven't yet, but hear it is one of the most beautiful places in the world. One that is very much on my must see list of places...

T

thsinar

oh, you know Ton?! He is a very good friend of mine. Just have been in touch 2 weks ago. But he is out of BKK most of the time those last months. He is more in the north (Chiang Mai).
As soon as you've decided to come and visit this place, please contact me: you are welcome at my place anytime, if I'm in town (but that can be organized).

Thierry

Whew, the heat this time of year over there must be miserable. Almost makes Florida seem tolerable :D Oh, and say hello to Ton Santipong next time you drop buy from me. I still want to get over there one of these days soon. Maybe for my honeymoon when Suzanne and I get married. She has been, I haven't yet, but hear it is one of the most beautiful places in the world. One that is very much on my must see list of places...

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
oh, you know Ton?! He is a very good friend of mine. Just have been in touch 2 weks ago. But he is out of BKK most of the time those last months. He is more in the north (Chiang Mai).
As soon as you've decided to come and visit this place, please contact me: you are welcome at my place anytime, if I'm in town (but that can be organized).

Thierry
Ton and I share a passion for beautiful photographic images, MF digital backs, and some of the weird but magical contraptions to capture those images with :ROTFL: Over several years. But have yet to actually meet face to face. The online world has blessed me with more photographer friends all over the globe than any one man has a right to have. About half of them I have met in person, the other half still on my agenda to meet one of these days before I die, God willing and the creek don't rise :) And I will take you up on your offer when we get over there. Likely around December if I am lucky. Thank you for the offer!

T

thsinar

... Then try to make it before mid of December, since thereafter I am usually in Europe, visiting my family, for Christmas celebration.

You're welcome and it's my pleasure.

Thierry

Addendum: I'll then make sure that Ton is in Bangkok and that we can met all the 3 (4 with your wife!) together.

And I will take you up on your offer when we get over there. Likely around December if I am lucky. Thank you for the offer!

PeterA

Pete, I know of at least two different places you can actually still buy a new Contax 645 system. And yes, I would imagine with one of Son's adapters you could also use your HC glass on it, believe it or not. The camera is a dead system, no question about it. One that was widely sold, used in every rental department, and is built like a proverbial tank as far as reliability goes. In it's day, it was by far the most flexible system made, with an excellent set of usable glass. And to it's credit, my two are still working now several years later without a hiccup. Those of us who use them today swear by them, and for a reason.
Chuck - I have to admit being a bit tongue in cheek regarding my response to Victor :) i have just finished using a complete Contax system with a Phase One back for about a month. I have to say that there are many aspects of this camera system which appeal to me - most especially is the relatively quiet shutter! The lenses are a mixed bag in terms of quality - my favourites being the 45mm and the 80.

It is a great shame teh company is no longer making them - i Must say I have a personal gripe about the battery gobbling capability of this camera though..and autofocus isnt as good as on other ( newer?) systems I am using..

hmm

interesting that one can still buy these things new.does that include the lenses and acessories? I would be interested to know

Thanks
Pete

gogopix

Subscriber

Pete
Well certainly not to the extent of a new Hasselblad, but as Chuck says, lots of NIB and LNIB.

As for lenses, yes a mixed bag-but so are all lines. I find the 210mm the least successful, but others use the mutar 1.4x and say it actually improves.

my take:
(and I have them all)

35mm really great all around WA, a little soft in extreme corners at wide open (I then use the 40 CFE IF HB)

45 nice for speed, very good if uninspiring at times, but only with regard to bokeh. (Again at extrenme)

55mm good walk around, but heavier than 80 and not as fast. but nice aspect

80mm superb. Not the fastest, not the sharpest relative to 35mm, but beats any 80mm 2.8 out there, and you get the extra stop!

120mm manual focus but great Makro and most like better than comparable HB 120 makro

140mm great for speed and portrait nicer than most think. and relatively fast

210mm ok; if you need reach and dont peak the corners :)

350/4 a fast but heavy )8lbs) use for balast or wildlife on a tripod LOL but would put up against the HB 350 non superachrmat any time (same as HB 350/4 F lens)

1.4x Mutar really the best and I have both HB mutar. I actually would use it with even a HB lens rather than theirs!

Then of course, you have ALL HB V lenses, with AE and focus confirmation (ok, at stop down)

And many great Visoflex Leica lenses (with adapter)

and several Schneider lenses with HB mount (I have a 300/2 at 16 lbs)

other accessories always there. And cost a bit, guess why? :thumbup: They are good, and there are a lot of quiet Contax users.

I find it interesting that, except for the "dead' label the Contax gets nothing but praise.

However, every other system has hand wringing issues, even HB.

But then don't get it. we will just wind up bidding against each other for items :ROTFL:

BTW the one rare item is the auto bellows. I just got one in mint for 2300. Really works, auto. But then who needs AF maco? Go figure.

Batteries are ancient history. SO, if you want quality (and I will answer Jack's questionong of the IQ in my sample as soon as I can figure out what he is talking about! :confused:)

best regards to all

Victror

BTW. BUY MAMIYA, please, I need some more C645 stuff and I don't want cpmpetition :ROTFL:

Graham Mitchell

Take a look at the Contax 645 and a Phase back.
Anyone unsure about platform choice or wants to use multiple systems should consider a back with an adapter system. Phase backs are nice but lack this vital feature. The one trick they have up their sleeve is the very long exposure, but this is a niche feature.

From what I can see, the Hy6 syetm is expensive, large, cumbersome and provides little advantage over the Contax.
The Hy6 looks about the same size as the other players. Why do you think it is large?

People have universally praised the ergonomics. Why do you call it cumbersome? How long have you used the Hy6?

It provides many advantages over the Contax. Flash sync up to 1/1000 compared to 1/125, all parts are still available new, larger selection of lenses, built-in colour temp sensor, more viewfinder options, metering is not built into the finder so it works with WLF too, better battery life, focus trapping, focus bracketing, ability to control camera from computer, a tilt-shift lens, integrated light grid projector for AF assistance in low light, 6x6 film option, and the system is still growing.

Nothing against the Contax at all but there are real differences to consider.

Clawery

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I bought one Chris just dying to get it in my hands, hopefully soon. Looks really nice from the data sheets Lance sent me. Wiring money today , I'm down with it. LOL

Mitchell

Thanks everyone,

Great response.

Victor,

I've been wrestling with the possibility of the Contax/Phase combo. Wish, like everyone else, they were still being made!

Stuart,

Thanks for your reply. I would mostly shoot landscape. The flying bird stuff isn't why I'd get into MFDB, but it might lead me to a focus trap camera if focus trap would help.

As it is now, for the birds I prefocus on a tripod, and I strongly doubt (I have no experience with this, please tell me if I'm wrong) that any auto focus would be fast enough to catch a a small bird at 3 feet as it flies through the frame. I don't want to blow the images of birds up much past their real life size. The advantage I would get from medium format is the ability to crop heavily, as it is a trick to catch the birds in the frame at all, much less compose them well. I've found that 1/750- 1/1000, which is in the range of the Hy6, is the critical shutter speed to stop the wings. DOF and ISO are critical only as they relate to focus on the bird, but that is a big issue. Need lots of sun. (Not interested in flash.)

Best,

Mitchell

"Do you think the Focus Trap on the Hy6, could be fast enough to catch small birds in flight from 3 feet?"

I think if you are interested in photographing birds in flight at 3 feet, medium format digital (or film) is not the way to go. Do you really need to blow up the photo over 30 inches wide? Because you can get great quality below that size with the current crop of pro digital SLR's...you will also get more depth of field, faster shutters, better autofocus, more lens selection, vastly better ISO performance, and a total system price that is a small fraction of the medium format digital body alone. If you have other plans for the system, then other reasoning applies, but for fast action nature photography, it does not seem like a good choice.

Last edited:
T

thsinar

Dear Mitchell,

I have not tested the focus trap on the Hy6 with birds, but I can tell as much: it needs enough light and contrast, for the sensor to detect, and the subject needs to be in the metering field long enough for the sensor to react. If the light is too low, the reaction time ca be up to 100ms, which would probably be impossible to shoot and capture the bird!

I think that this must be tested in situ.

I agree that the possibility of a 1/1000th shutter speed is a must for this type of moving subject, as you mention.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thanks for your reply. I would mostly shoot landscape. The flying bird stuff isn't why I'd get into MFDB, but it might lead me to a focus trap camera if focus trap would help.

As it is now, for the birds I prefocus on a tripod, and I strongly doubt (I have no experience with this, please tell me if I'm wrong) that any auto focus would be fast enough to catch a a small bird at 3 feet as it flies through the frame. I don't want to blow the images of birds up much past their real life size. The advantage I would get from medium format is the ability to crop heavily, as it is a trick to catch the birds in the frame at all, much less compose them well. I've found that 1/750- 1/1000, which is in the range of the Hy6, is the critical shutter speed to stop the wings. DOF and ISO are critical only as they relate to focus on the bird, but that is a big issue. Need lots of sun. (Not interested in flash.)

Best,

Mitchell