The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anybody own or familiar with the Alpa XY?

Mike M

I'm probably not the first person to go back and forth when trying to decide between the XY and the Max. Is there anyone that owns an XY or is familiar with it that can point out any issues that they've had with the camera? I'm especially interested in how comfortable it is in terms of ergonomics and workflow. I understand that the Max is lighter and might be easier to take on location. But is the XY that bad? It's a bigger camera and heavier but is it really that awkward in comparison to the Max?

I'm mostly interested in the XY because of the geared movements. The vast majority of my work would be done in studio and any location work would involve mostly easily accessible places in urban areas. Basically, weight and bulk really isn't that big of an issue. I'm mostly interested in having a solid camera that feels extremely precise when making movements.

Basically, any input in regards to the XY would be helpful. Thanks to anyone that can offer an opinion.

O

Optechs Digital

Hi Mike,

In your case the XY could be the best choice. If you are primarily working in the studio and are still thinking in terms of 6x9 film, the XY will give you the greatest range of camera movement and does offer fully geared movement. You will just have to pay close attention to lens choice to make sure that you get a lens that has enough coverage to match you intended use. The XY in my opinion, is not too bad as an occasional location camera either as long as you are aware of the increased size and weight.

Best Regards,
Paul

Mike M

Thanks a lot Paul ....The XY is starting to sound really good to me. At first, I didn't even consider it because the movements are so extreme. But after taking some time to think I realized that it may actually be the right camera for studio work.

The main lens that interests me is the Schneider Super Symmar 120 5.6 with a 189 image circle. It sounds like that lens should cover the XY movements pretty well. The only questions I might have is whether or not the lens will start to vignette if used with some extreme movements even when working at optimum apertures? Also, the suggested working range on the 120 is F11-F22. Does anybody know what it's best aperture really is for film in order to get maximum DOF and image circle while avoiding a loss of accutance due to diffraction?