The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A medium format and tech camera newbie gets started (P40+ and Rm3D)

claudefiddler

Terry

What a plunge! I admire your pluck!

A couple questions re focus and depth of focus.

1) the image of the ice plant and anchor is out of focus in the foregorund. I assume this was intended and what you wnated to get was the anchor in critical focus, with no depth of focus.

2)Mono Lake tufas (two photos) also, foreground tufas are out of focus. Was this intended?

3) Ice plant and shoreline same thing.

The images of the beach and Golden Gate look spot on! Color and detail look fantastic!

A great set of photos showing us what's possible.

Thank you,

Claude Fiddler
www.wildernesslight.com

p.s. Wonderful to have attentive and caring instructors.

Terry

Terry

What a plunge! I admire your pluck!

A couple questions re focus and depth of focus.

1) the image of the ice plant and anchor is out of focus in the foregorund. I assume this was intended and what you wnated to get was the anchor in critical focus, with no depth of focus.

2)Mono Lake tufas (two photos) also, foreground tufas are out of focus. Was this intended?

3) Ice plant and shoreline same thing.

The images of the beach and Golden Gate look spot on! Color and detail look fantastic!

A great set of photos showing us what's possible.

Thank you,

Claude Fiddler
www.wildernesslight.com

p.s. Wonderful to have attentive and caring instructors.
Hi,
The stuff along the coast with the ice plant was clear user error on day two of using the camera and not utilizing any tilts.

I think the focus on the Sierra trip was all about me getting familiar with using tilt and I never had done that before. On those two shots I was probably a bit conservative on the tilt. This came after doing some tilts at mosquito lake (the shot with the log) where I had probably gone a bit too far with tilt and lost the focus on far tree tops - although the focus on the log shot is pretty much as good as I think I can do.

So, there is still a learning curve going on...and then the inevitable should I buy a rotaslide and use ground glass for focus with the tilts.

Thanks for looking!

JCT

Holy flipping cow-- great start!!

And here's a vote for GG focusing with the tilts -- will definitely help.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Terry,

absolutely gorgeous shots! Congratulations.

Sorry for my ignorance - which tech camera are you using - Alpa, which model? These results and what you said about weight and how easy to carry makes me interested again...

Thanks

Peter

Terry

Thanks JCT - I had a blast. Really loved it.

Peter, I'm using the Arca Swiss Rm3d with a Phase P40+ back. I find it simple and liberating because I get to think more slowly and differently. I had a very light pack which is great when you think about how good the files are. Fabulous learning experience. Having only one lens for the week was probably the best that could have happened. My second lens arrived at the dealer Monday. LOL. The kit will get bigger if I decide to get the rotaslide and do some ground glass focusing.

BradleyGibson

Congratulations, Terry! It's great to see that you have taken the plunge and are really enjoying it.

You are clearly off to a wonderful start. Thank you for sharing!

-Brad

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Terry,

thanks for that update. This really seems to be a stunning combination!

Interesting for me is the fact that it gets pretty light end of the day. Usually when I am doing landscapes I am carrying my H3D39, 28, 100 and HTS1.5 (for tilt and shift) - which makes all up a pretty heavy package. I can see that using a tech camera with just 1 or 2 lenses for landscape is the better solution. And the results are stunning.

In fact I rarely do need the H3D39 for different things than landscape, because it is too bulky and relatively slow. Same is true for sure for any Phase camera. And lenses are quite heavy. So for normal shooting a small DSLR (Sony A55) or even a NEX or M43 with kit lens would do.

Interesting concept.

emendoz1

Wow! Those are very nice images Terry. It looks like you learned quickly on the Arca. Can you share some of the technical settings you used on these shots? I'm starting to get my Mamiya RZ to work well with an older 16 megapixel back I recently purchased but it's been a struggle. It seems that the back is not calibrated to the body so Ive had to learn to focus by judging distance and not by looking at my subject too much. I'm also re thinking MF vs LF because of the lens limitations of MF and am looking at finding an adapter for my 4x5 cameras.

Thanks

Ed

thomas

I'm starting to get my Mamiya RZ to work well with an older 16 megapixel back I recently purchased but it's been a struggle. It seems that the back is not calibrated to the body so Ive had to learn to focus by judging distance and not by looking at my subject too much.
have you tried to shim the screen? A split image screen might also help A LOT.