The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One P25

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay need my second cup of espresso. Hope this is helping. Not great shots but I was not really trying to do that but great test images for me to see what is going on and why am i writing this large check.

LJL

Guy,
It looks as though you have found a great flexible solution for your needs at this point. The ability of the files to hold the detail, hold the DR, and still be able to extract that with and without excessive enlargement appears to be there. Another way of saying that you may be able to stop worrying about that check you wrote.....it is going to deliver for you without much if any compromise ;-)

LJ

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
And...
you still have a respectable image left after ypu suffer the losses from rotating it to level to de-keystoning it.
No joke, this is a real advantage.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Yup I'm wiring the money today and not a second of regret , well the P45 plus would be nice. LOL

Seriously I am pretty happy about getting this. Lance you better have a upgrade program next year. LOL

Greg Seitz

Yup I'm wiring the money today and not a second of regret , well the P45 plus would be nice. LOL

Seriously I am pretty happy about getting this. Lance you better have a upgrade program next year. LOL
Guy,

Congratulations on your new system. Looks like it will be a great kit for you!

One question I have that I always see discussed is the greater DR of medium format vs DSLR. Your examples help on getting a handle on this but it's hard to tell without more of a side by side setup using the two systems. It would be incredibly helpful if you get a chance when you receive your new system if you could fire off a few bracketed shots between the P25+ and the D300 along the lines of the test I did between the D3 and D300 in this thread:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1872

I'm sure many would appreciate being able to see the differences.

By the way, if you need a quick and easy way to share raw files check out www.mediafire.com, it's much nicer than the alternatives that I've seen.

Thanks,

Greg

Graham Mitchell

Guy, just one thing. The ISO 400 crop you posted on the first page wasn't very detailed. It is hard to know whether this is user error or something else. Could you lock the camera down and capture the same scene using the same aperture, just changing the ISO setting and shutter? (Just as I did with the Sinar e54LV thread). This is the only way to see how the image degrades with higher ISO settings, and whether there is any auto noise-reduction taking place which is causing loss of detail. Oh, and we need to see RAW files too :)

Guy Mancuso

Guy,

Congratulations on your new system. Looks like it will be a great kit for you!

One question I have that I always see discussed is the greater DR of medium format vs DSLR. Your examples help on getting a handle on this but it's hard to tell without more of a side by side setup using the two systems. It would be incredibly helpful if you get a chance when you receive your new system if you could fire off a few bracketed shots between the P25+ and the D300 along the lines of the test I did between the D3 and D300 in this thread:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1872

I'm sure many would appreciate being able to see the differences.

By the way, if you need a quick and easy way to share raw files check out www.mediafire.com, it's much nicer than the alternatives that I've seen.

Thanks,

Greg
Thanks Greg I will do that

Guy Mancuso

Guy, just one thing. The ISO 400 crop you posted on the first page wasn't very detailed. It is hard to know whether this is user error or something else. Could you lock the camera down and capture the same scene using the same aperture, just changing the ISO setting and shutter? (Just as I did with the Sinar e54LV thread). This is the only way to see how the image degrades with higher ISO settings, and whether there is any auto noise-reduction taking place which is causing loss of detail. Oh, and we need to see RAW files too :)
Got a plane ticket to San Juan for me. LOL

I will test the new back when it comes and on a tripod. Frankly it was a P25 and not the Plus which will be much better anyway with regards to noise. That is what I want to see also. Very hard to do real tests when I am teaching at the workshops, my time is devoted to the attendees.

gogopix

Subscriber
Yes, the P25 I miss. it may not be the ISO but here is color depth I don't QUITE see in the P45+ (can add in post though!)

anyway, I also see a difference in the glass here. TO ME (do I always need to say that! :rolleyes:) the Contax glass just has more dimensionality. It sort of like thge difference Robert pointed out between the Nikon D3 images and the Leica.
Maybe its the micro contrast. who knows

but hey, Phase will change the mount for a nominal fee if you decide to change Guy! :D

Anyway, we are talking versions of great IQ. MF is
"sumfin differnret, yes?"

Regards
Victor

Last edited:

Graham Mitchell

but hey, Phase will change the mount for a nominal fee if you decide to change Guy! :D
Ok, here's a little story which made me think twice about Phase. If you are definitely sticking to one platform, then this isn't an issue.

My Swedish buddy Freddy bought a Phase P30 in a mount to use it on his existing Mamiya RZ67. After 6 months he decided to use a Hasselblad H system instead and wanted to change the mount. It cost him 35,000 SEK (USD 5400) to swap his P30 for another P30 in a different mount. Ouch!

If he had bought a back with an adapter, he would have paid $2K instead just for a new adapter AND been able to keep using his Mamiya as well as a backup system or just when he felt like it. This was a turning point for me.

So make sure you price the change of the mount change before making any assumptions about a 'nominal fee'.

KeithL

Anyway, we are talking versions of great IQ. MF is
"sumfin differnret, yes?"

Actually no, I can't help feeling that the rendition of the two attached images is grotesque and certainly no advertisement for MFD. Sorry Victor.

Guy Mancuso

Value added warranty permits a free mount change over the life of the 3 year warranty. I also think without it the price is 3500 US. Someone from Phase can give more details but the Value added warranty i know for a fact there is a free mount change in there.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
The price is $2500 if you have classic coverage on your back and if it is covered under the value added warranty it is done at no-charge once during the warranty period.
The Value Added Package at the time of purchase is $3000 additional, that gives you three year overnight swap-out, Pro version of CaptureOne , extra battery,2gb card, cables/lcc plate , swapout privileges and a new rolling case. Most opt for the peace of mind VA kit.
L
Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration
My Blog
[email protected]

Guy Mancuso

In the pricing it is a believe a 3k upgrade warranty it also gives you extra batteries and some other goodies from the Phase folks. Actually a pretty good deal but I will let Chris or Lance talk about it more. i don't want to give numbers out and details if i am wrong.