Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Phase One P25

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phase One P25

Well i spent a lot of time shooting the P30 and not as much as the back I am buying but I did get plenty of quality time with the P25 and the Plus will have the extra benefits in it . But i thought it would be nice to show what this 22 mpx sensor can do. I did find the DR maybe slighter better than the P45 plus and P30 plus and jack and I spent some time together comparing this out processing some files and we came to the same conclusion the P25 maybe slightly better on the DR side . But hell there is so much range in these files anyway it really is pixel peeping. Now i know the Sinar , Leaf and other 22 mpx are most likely just as good in terms of resolving power including the ZD but of course like anything else the functions and such are different . But it is interesting to see how these 22 mpx wonders match up and believe me I am impressed by them. Now we should note Hassy uses the same Kodak sensors as the Phase pretty much and don't want to get into this brand versus that. Who really cares . I chose Phase because it just flat out works and works well and I like the speed , Iso and functions of it but that is me. Anyway let's just see what this puppy can produce with some Mamiya glass that is by all intensive purposes not regarded very higher against some others, which frankly not sure i agree with that becuase these lenses produce very well and there not even the D lenses YET. You know i will get every one of those . LOL

This was shot with the 55mm 2.8 at F5.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Phase One P25

Speaking of DR the first one as shot the second just playing with highlight , shadows in C1 . I am blown in the first image in the sky in area's in the second look how it all comes back. BTW this is how I test , I put things through the torture images and se if it can save itself. This is my way and maybe not how someone else does things but i love the Ugly tests . It tells me a great deal
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

DougDolde

So which one are you getting?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug I am going with the P25 Plus . To me it seemed to be the best value versus performance out of the three Phase backs. i can use it with the Horseman SWDII and also on any View camera body without worry of color shift. I can also get a great higher ISO 400 from it . So it seems to be a great value. Sure love to get the P45 plus no doubt there is some detail to be gained . But this gets me way over the 35mm DSLR world in a big way so it will handle almost any job and if i need to get to NY block size than I can always call in a bigger back of the P45 plus on a rental or from the folks at CI or something. All of the dealers here from Phase , Sinar and Leaf are all nice folks to deal with so whatever path you take these folks will help you. I know working with Lance over the last week he is really there to help support you and i am sure others are in the same category.

The other issue is Mamiya and Phase have teamed up and that is a great plus . We will see leaf shutters and already new body and lenses hitting the streets. To me I see this as a planning for the future with my gear that new things will come to support my purchase. Worst case i can always switch the mount> I think folks need to look down the path a little when making these kinds of purchases

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,
    It is nice to see the extended information that the files contain so that should you miss the exposure, you have some latitude to recover things. Like you, this is one of my "torture tests" also, as there are times when shooting quickly, that the meter can be pointed slightly at the wrong spot while you are trying to compose the shot on the fly.

In that street scene where you did pull back the exposure to get the clouds, it looks like you lost some contrast, as the street, the car, and palm plants seemed to go a bit flat. Not sure if that was your intention, or if there was something else going on. I have noticed that many of the "highlight recovery" tools tend to drop the contrast a fair bit as a way to get a bit more DR, but they also tend to take a lot of the zip out of things also.

Not picking nits here, as the demonstrated feature works. Just a personal observation and why I usually have to go back to make added adjustments after doing a highlight recovery in order to keep things looking the way I prefer them.

Lots of nice detail and good color in the shots from the back.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LJL, I think the point was he did BOTH highlight recovery AND fill pump on that file to show just how far he could push it.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This was a noise test at ISO 400 which looks pretty clean and i am expecting better with the Plus back but this is very acceptable . Sorry but I am just sharing my purchase decision in public looking at images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    LJL, I think the point was he did BOTH highlight recovery AND fill pump on that file to show just how far he could push it.
    Thanks, Jack. I understood that Guy did play with things a bit and the clouds/sky did come back quite a bit. I was just commenting on how some of the tools treat things, and that other corrections need to be pumped back in to preserve stuff. Now, if Guy was intentionally trying to pull the sky down and push the shadows up.....that was accomplished, but the flatness does not do the test image justice, IMHO. These backs are delivering some very nice images to start, which is really nice to see. Like everything else we shoot and process, it takes time and experimentation to find the balance we want. (I could actually live with the blown sky to see the sharper bricks and better looking plants....that looks more attractive in that particular shot.)

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Exactly the image is not really correct , i am just showing how far you can stretch it. I would add more black to the scene to be correct but trying to see how much detail you can squeeze out of these shots that are not ideal exposures. There is a ton of elbow room here and that is very important

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    Thanks, Jack. I understood that Guy did play with things a bit and the clouds/sky did come back quite a bit. I was just commenting on how some of the tools treat things, and that other corrections need to be pumped back in to preserve stuff. Now, if Guy was intentionally trying to pull the sky down and push the shadows up.....that was accomplished, but the flatness does not do the test image justice, IMHO. These backs are delivering some very nice images to start, which is really nice to see. Like everything else we shoot and process, it takes time and experimentation to find the balance we want. (I could actually live with the blown sky to see the sharper bricks and better looking plants....that looks more attractive in that particular shot.)

LJ
    Here just adding the black back in makes it look more correct. Lot's of tools to play with. But the cool part is you can fix the bad spots like the blown skies

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just a nice tonal range here, again the 55mm 2.8 lens which is really sharp. Just pulled the highlights down a touch on the left wall

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is the 150mm lens 3.5 maybe not considered the sharpest lens in the tool shed. Hmmm not a bad tool shed. Shot at F7

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,
    These are nice looking shots with tons of detail, and a real dimensionality to them. What I find the most interesting is that they at first they do not look all that different than anything else shot with a DSLR, for example, until you spend just a bit more time looking at them. Then the DR starts to really kick in, as does the ability to just keep zooming in and seeing more and more. It starts to really hit home when you look at the crops. They tend to look like normal DLSR shots done with a long, sharp telephoto, rather then blow-ups from a normal lens shot. This is great stuff.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LJ, in my opinion, the main reason to shoot MF digital is so you, or some idiot AD can crop into the frame to your heart's content, and not have to worry about having enough left to still retain a beautiful image & dynamic range. Hard to argue with 12 real stops of DR.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agree Chuck and what I run into all the time is you think it is just a small ad they are going to use it for than bam you walk in and there is a banner of your shot on the wall. This happens all the time with corporate clients. I want to deliver a better file that has plenty of growing space

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is the famed 28mm 2.8D lens. I shot this at F8 which maybe F11 would be a better F stop for it but for a focal length like this it is really nice . The far corners are a touch soft but stopping down even more would help it . But I want one. Looking at the crops you will see why. But also look at the distortion , there is none. This is a 20 mm on a P25

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another 28 at F8. Nice DR here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay watch this one . Shot with the 28 into the sun . I am trying to blow it here . The sky is toast but able to bring some back. Now here is where C1 really shines with the Phase backs it will correct for purple fringing and CA. I will post the two FF first Non corrected than corrected than the crops in the same order so you can see it better . Look at the trees on the left the leaves and the car highlights and the iron railing. This is something else

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack shot a P45 plus with a 150mm lens and we processed it together with the corrections and were pretty impressed by this feature in C1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post
    LJ, in my opinion, the main reason to shoot MF digital is so you, or some idiot AD can crop into the frame to your heart's content, and not have to worry about having enough left to still retain a beautiful image & dynamic range. Hard to argue with 12 real stops of DR.....
    Chuck,
    I agree, and this is exactly the sort of issue I have to deal with now. I am seeing clients wanting a full page ad, and then as an after thought, start thinking poster and small billboard size. I normally shoot a lot of my polo action with a 1DMkII for speed, but have resorted to now shooting more with my 1DsMkII to permit that enlargement. Not planning to use MF for that task, but on product and some commercial stuff, the trend is to want to use the images for larger and larger display, or as you point out, to crop the daylights out of things for multiple uses. No matter how careful the exposure and file treatment, the 35mm size is not able to deliver things to such highly variable uses without suffering. For most magazine spot placements and even to full page or double page, there is less issue. The problem comes in when clients want to repurpose images to much larger size, or to crop heavily and then use that for a full page ad.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another example of a totally blown highlight and able to pull it back

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Than something more final looking

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay need my second cup of espresso. Hope this is helping. Not great shots but I was not really trying to do that but great test images for me to see what is going on and why am i writing this large check.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

35mm lens at F16 for 13 seconds with neutral density filter on

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,
    It looks as though you have found a great flexible solution for your needs at this point. The ability of the files to hold the detail, hold the DR, and still be able to extract that with and without excessive enlargement appears to be there. Another way of saying that you may be able to stop worrying about that check you wrote.....it is going to deliver for you without much if any compromise ;-)

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And...
    you still have a respectable image left after ypu suffer the losses from rotating it to level to de-keystoning it.
    No joke, this is a real advantage.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yup I'm wiring the money today and not a second of regret , well the P45 plus would be nice. LOL

Seriously I am pretty happy about getting this. Lance you better have a upgrade program next year. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Yup I'm wiring the money today and not a second of regret , well the P45 plus would be nice. LOL

Seriously I am pretty happy about getting this. Lance you better have a upgrade program next year. LOL
    Guy,

Congratulations on your new system. Looks like it will be a great kit for you!

One question I have that I always see discussed is the greater DR of medium format vs DSLR. Your examples help on getting a handle on this but it's hard to tell without more of a side by side setup using the two systems. It would be incredibly helpful if you get a chance when you receive your new system if you could fire off a few bracketed shots between the P25+ and the D300 along the lines of the test I did between the D3 and D300 in this thread:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1872

I'm sure many would appreciate being able to see the differences.

By the way, if you need a quick and easy way to share raw files check out www.mediafire.com, it's much nicer than the alternatives that I've seen.

Thanks,

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, just one thing. The ISO 400 crop you posted on the first page wasn't very detailed. It is hard to know whether this is user error or something else. Could you lock the camera down and capture the same scene using the same aperture, just changing the ISO setting and shutter? (Just as I did with the Sinar e54LV thread). This is the only way to see how the image degrades with higher ISO settings, and whether there is any auto noise-reduction taking place which is causing loss of detail. Oh, and we need to see RAW files too

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Seitz View Post
    Guy,

Congratulations on your new system. Looks like it will be a great kit for you!

One question I have that I always see discussed is the greater DR of medium format vs DSLR. Your examples help on getting a handle on this but it's hard to tell without more of a side by side setup using the two systems. It would be incredibly helpful if you get a chance when you receive your new system if you could fire off a few bracketed shots between the P25+ and the D300 along the lines of the test I did between the D3 and D300 in this thread:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1872

I'm sure many would appreciate being able to see the differences.

By the way, if you need a quick and easy way to share raw files check out www.mediafire.com, it's much nicer than the alternatives that I've seen.

Thanks,

Greg
    Thanks Greg I will do that

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    Guy, just one thing. The ISO 400 crop you posted on the first page wasn't very detailed. It is hard to know whether this is user error or something else. Could you lock the camera down and capture the same scene using the same aperture, just changing the ISO setting and shutter? (Just as I did with the Sinar e54LV thread). This is the only way to see how the image degrades with higher ISO settings, and whether there is any auto noise-reduction taking place which is causing loss of detail. Oh, and we need to see RAW files too
    Got a plane ticket to San Juan for me. LOL

I will test the new back when it comes and on a tripod. Frankly it was a P25 and not the Plus which will be much better anyway with regards to noise. That is what I want to see also. Very hard to do real tests when I am teaching at the workshops, my time is devoted to the attendees.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, I just caught up with the end of this thread. Congrats on your new toy

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Graham. Should be a fun road to take as you know this already with MF

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the P25 I miss. it may not be the ISO but here is color depth I don't QUITE see in the P45+ (can add in post though!)

anyway, I also see a difference in the glass here. TO ME (do I always need to say that! ) the Contax glass just has more dimensionality. It sort of like thge difference Robert pointed out between the Nikon D3 images and the Leica.
    Maybe its the micro contrast. who knows

but hey, Phase will change the mount for a nominal fee if you decide to change Guy!

Anyway, we are talking versions of great IQ. MF is
    "sumfin differnret, yes?"

Regards
    Victor
    Last edited by gogopix; 25th January 2015 at 17:23.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    but hey, Phase will change the mount for a nominal fee if you decide to change Guy!
    Ok, here's a little story which made me think twice about Phase. If you are definitely sticking to one platform, then this isn't an issue.

My Swedish buddy Freddy bought a Phase P30 in a mount to use it on his existing Mamiya RZ67. After 6 months he decided to use a Hasselblad H system instead and wanted to change the mount. It cost him 35,000 SEK (USD 5400) to swap his P30 for another P30 in a different mount. Ouch!

If he had bought a back with an adapter, he would have paid $2K instead just for a new adapter AND been able to keep using his Mamiya as well as a backup system or just when he felt like it. This was a turning point for me.

So make sure you price the change of the mount change before making any assumptions about a 'nominal fee'.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually no, I can't help feeling that the rendition of the two attached images is grotesque and certainly no advertisement for MFD. Sorry Victor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Value added warranty permits a free mount change over the life of the 3 year warranty. I also think without it the price is 3500 US. Someone from Phase can give more details but the Value added warranty i know for a fact there is a free mount change in there.

Post Thanks / Like

And out of curiosity, how much is the value added warranty? Can it be added later? This might be useful info for others to know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The price is $2500 if you have classic coverage on your back and if it is covered under the value added warranty it is done at no-charge once during the warranty period.
    The Value Added Package at the time of purchase is $3000 additional, that gives you three year overnight swap-out, Pro version of CaptureOne , extra battery,2gb card, cables/lcc plate , swapout privileges and a new rolling case. Most opt for the peace of mind VA kit.
    L
    Lance Schad
    Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
    305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
    Capture Integration
    My Blog
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In the pricing it is a believe a 3k upgrade warranty it also gives you extra batteries and some other goodies from the Phase folks. Actually a pretty good deal but I will let Chris or Lance talk about it more. i don't want to give numbers out and details if i am wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lance_schad View Post
    The price is $2500 if you have classic coverage on your back
    Sorry that isn't clear to me which means others might be having problems too. Is there another level of warranty called 'classic' which you need to buy first, and then add another $2500 on top for the 'value added' warranty?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No the classic warranty is a normal 1 year warranty and if you want to do a mount swap than it seems 2500 is the price on that.

The Value added is a 3 year warranty you get some goodies and a free mount swap.

You buy either one at time of purchase. You get a choice on the warranty on what you feel is good for you.

I think outside all warranties when they are up if you want to do a mount swap the 3500 comes into play. But lance or Chris need to confirm all of this just to be sure my numbers are correct

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lance_schad View Post
    The price is $2500 if you have classic coverage on your back and if it is covered under the value added warranty it is done at no-charge once during the warranty period.
    The Value Added Package at the time of purchase is $3000 additional, that gives you three year overnight swap-out, Pro version of CaptureOne , extra battery,2gb card, cables/lcc plate , swapout privileges and a new rolling case. Most opt for the peace of mind VA kit.
    L
    Lance Schad
    Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
    305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
    Capture Integration
    My Blog
    [email protected]
    There you are I missed your comment. Thanks
    I'm feeling poor so just getting the Classic but if you love me you can throw that in . ROTFLMAO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, one thing I appreciate about your torture tests is that they remind me so much of what I confront in assignments every day and have to deal with.

'back in the days of film I loved to shoot backlit, and it is murder on skintones, which is why I always loved the hassy glass which could hold contrast in nasty situations. Switching over to digital has been mostly about confronting the limits of what you can do in bad light, and mostly has been realizing that you need to fix it now more than ever. Film or analogue fails "gracefully" as they say, flare, backlight, muted tones, grain, all add to film capture. Digital is not so loving of these issues, so when I am on location I am constantly reminded of how different it is now.

I have resisted mf for a long time because as a location available light shooter it was not the solution, but I think now, and perhaps for while, there are solutions that would provide great results. Your example of the sun behind the tree and blown sky is exactly a worst case scenario, but one where in film I would not think twice.

thanks for the examples.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Robert , yes i go after the crap as they say in a lot of these and the fact is your right we run into this stuff all the time and just seeing how you can pull yourself out of it is key in my book. I like the Ugly tests they give us the info we need and the nice part is when the light is great the images just jump. MF is a serious decision and not to be taken lightly, the problem is you look at these files on a 30 inch display and your heart just beats faster. You know how hard that is to not pay attention too. LOL Impossible

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post

anyway, I also see a difference in the glass here. TO ME (do I always need to say that! ) the Contax glass just has more dimensionality. It sort of like thge difference Robert pointed out between the Nikon D3 images and the Leica.
    Maybe its the micro contrast. who knows

Regards
    Victor
    Victor,
    I was not going to comment on this image, but I had another espresso, so here is what I am seeing.

For openers, not sure what processing you put this through, but it appears oversaturated. You may prefer/like the color, and that is fine, but this looks too saturated to my eyes. Second, it is also significantly oversharpened. This shows up in a couple of very pronounced ways. One is the obvious halo on the right side cliff above the gentlemen's head, and the other is a very pronounced "crunchy" look to the background in your original and crop. If this is what you consider having the ability to "cut you" with sharpness, my feeling is that one should not try to dial in added effect through this kind of over sharpening.

That "crunchy" appearance is something I have seen from expensive and cheap glass. They are artifacts created in processing (ACR is notorious for being able to do this to otherwise good files), and they result from various incompatible settings of aperture and the sensor on certain types of backgrounds, mostly fine leaves, pine needles and some other sharp, pointy vegetation that has high contrast and some specular highlights. Best cure is to dial back the sharpening a lot in this case, and also shoot with either a much wider aperture for better bokeh, or stop things down further, but not to the point where diffraction starts to set in.

I agree with Keith in his comment that this is NOT the best example of MF IQ. This may be a very sharp image with great colors, etc., but it really looks like you overcooked this one in post. Sorry if that sounds critical, but this one does hurt the eyes, and there are ways to avoid this. Just offering up my thoughts and comments.

LJ

P.S. forgot to add.....those "cruchy" artifacts are the product of processing and oversharpening a file that is already struggling with the aperture/sensor/dark shiny foliage issue.....at a particular distance. Had those tress been closer or further away, it may not have come up. It is hard to know exactly how some things react when shooting, but these sorts of conifer/juniper or whatever type trees can create problems....all made worse by not so good conversion algorithms and oversharpening.
    Last edited by LJL; 20th May 2008 at 12:59.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have to agree with you 110% LJ. And Victor, I just happen to know a great series of workshops to get you pointed in the right direction with your raw processing...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding value added warranties: I sure wish that one could add it later as long as it was within the original 1 year warranty period. This would be similar to adding Applecare to a Mac. I know, I know, it might suck for Phase, but it would be nice to spend the additional 3K on the back after a few months of the original expense. One would be sure they've purchased the right back for their work, etc. before extending the warranty. Maybe the goodie kit would be better if purchased up front than if purchased later.

Obviously, this is the view of just one guy who is looking to move to MF in a non-pro capacity. The price of entry simply pinches some of us who do this stuff as an illness instead of a profession.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dale trust me it was hard putting my signature on that wire transfer a hour ago and i still need to send more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Found the warranty data and this maybe out of date

Classic 1-Year Warranty or Value-Added 3-Year Warranty?
    Phase One offers two types of warranties on its digital backs. The Classic 1-Year Warranty provides parts/service coverage for 1 year. The Value-Added 3-Year Warranty extends this warranty an additional two years, and adds extra accessories, and a replacement-unit program.

Classic Warranty Kit
    1-Year Repair Only International Warranty
    Black Pelican Case
    Capture One DB
    Single-Bay battery charger
    One 2500 mAh battery
    Viewfinder masks (5 pcs)
    4.5m Firewire Cable
    DigiClean kit

Value Added Warranty Kit
    3-Year Replacement Loaner International Warranty
    3-Year Free Platform Swap Guarantee
    Metallic Case
    Capture One Pro
    Dual-Bay battery charger
    Two 2500 mAh batteries
    Viewfinder masks (5 pcs)
    4.5m Firewire Cable
    DigiClean kit
    SanDisk 2-gig Extreme IV CF card
    SanDisk Firewire 800 card reader
    Multiconnector sync cable
    Multiconnector > Minijack adapter cable
    Manual hard-copy
    LCC calibration kit
    5 pcs QP greycard
    Microfiber cloth