The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Sliding Back for Arca-Swiss RM3D

David Klepacki

I have been beta testing Kapture Group's latest sliding back for the Arca-Swiss RM3D for the last few weeks. It is a little more compact than the Arca-Swiss Rotaslide as well as less expensive. Both sliding backs are excellent in the field. The advantage of the Kapture Group one is that you can use a smaller 6x6 ground glass so that you can use any Hasselblad viewfinder (such as the Rmfx). With the larger 6x9 screen of the Rotaslide, your only choice is their huge and expensive binocular viewer, if you want to work with a non-reversed image. I can recommend this sliding back as an alternative if you need to keep things more compact and travel friendly.

David

Last edited:

PSon

David,
I have a few questions:
1. Is the registration distance of the Kapture Group similar to the Rotaslide?
2. What other advantage does the Kapture Group have beside compactness and view finder options?
3. Can the Kapture Group sliding back be able to rotate?
4. Is the Kapture group sliding back you show here similar to the Kapture group sliding back version for the Alpa camera?
5. Do you know when it will be available for purchase?

BTW: very nice set up and product images and thanks for sharing the info with us.

thanks
Son

jotloob

Subscriber Member
4. Is the Kapture group sliding back you show here similar to the Kapture group sliding back version for the Alpa camera .

Son
There is no Kapture Group sliding back for the ALPA camera .
I have been searching their homepage , but can't find , what you are talking about .
Is the one you mention a "made to order" version .
Please let me know more about that sliding back .

Jürgen

David Klepacki

David,
I have a few questions:
1. Is the registration distance of the Kapture Group similar to the Rotaslide?
2. What other advantage does the Kapture Group have beside compactness and view finder options?
3. Can the Kapture Group sliding back be able to rotate?
4. Is the Kapture group sliding back you show here similar to the Kapture group sliding back version for the Alpa camera?
5. Do you know when it will be available for purchase?

BTW: very nice set up and product images and thanks for sharing the info with us.

thanks
Son
Wow, this is quite a list of questions. I will try to answer each one for you.

1. This is a NEW version of the Kapture Group Sliding back that exactly matches the registration distance of the Arca-Swiss Rotaslide.

2. The new sliding back is completely modular and has interchangeable focusing screens (6x6, 6x9, grid, cross hair only, etc.). And, there are new engineering improvements that reduce friction by using teflon rails as well as new dust sealing mechanism when the digital back is slid away from the camera position.

3. Yes, the digital back is rotatable in place, similar to the Arca-Swiss Rotaslide.

4. The one here is a protoype model, so the final model will have some changes to accommodate the Alpa camera as well. Unlike the Arca-Swiss Rm3d, the Alpa cameras does not have any way to reduce the lens spacing. So, the Alpa will have a much thinner base plate in order to meet the registration distance requirements of their lenses.

5. I believe Kapture Group will be posting their new adapter for the RM3D on their website soon (maybe next week?), and they should be ready to ship before end of the month. I believe the Alpa adapters will be available by October. If you want one, I recommend calling them and placing an order to get on the list.

Here are more images of the sliding back that show the back rotated as well as use with a Hasselblad Rmfx viewfinder. Also, very good news for those who do not have a Rmfx finder. Kapture Group will be making them! They will be improved versions of the famous Rmfx.

David

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Will the Kapture Group be present at the PHOTOKINA ? ? ?
And if so , will they be present under their own name or will they be presented by an agent ? ? ?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sounds really interesting . Thanks David for the update. Lot of mouth drooling stuff here. Might just put me over the edge the end of the year when I need another tax deduction. LOL

Even though I just bought a Touareg

Dave Gallagher

Guys,

We have done extensive testing with the KG sliders and I have nothing but good things to say about them. In fact, we always sell our Arca products with KG slider instead of the rotaslide and have found the accuracy to be dead on with the P1 products. And as stated, I love using any of my existing Hasse stove pipes or foldable waist level finders as focusing aids that slip right into this.

If anyone needs any help configuring these products, Steve or I would be more than happy to answer your questions and get them ordered for you.

Sincerely,

Dave Gallagher
President
Capture Integration
www.CaptureIntegration.com

Phase One, Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Canon, Nikon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Arca Swiss, Eizo, LaCie & More

404-522-7662 | Atlanta
305-350-9900 | Miami
877-217-9870 | National
770-846-5223 | Cell

David Klepacki

3. Yes, the digital back is rotatable in place, similar to the Arca-Swiss Rotaslide.
Son, I have a correction to make here:

The Kapture Group Sliding back is rotatable, but must be removed from the adapter with a simple locking release. It is NOT done in-place like the Rotaslide.

The Kapture Group sliding back mechanism is fast, easy and secure.

When asked about the possibility of a true in-place rotating mechanism, Kapture Group said that it would increase both the size and mass of the sliding back unit. But, if enough paying customers demand it and are willing to accept the additional bulk, they could deliver such a version next year.

David

archivue

I have a rotaslide and a kapture group as well for my RM3D... the kapture group being a regular model for arca 69, i have to make a conversion of the tables to be accurate.
I would like to test the new one when it will become available.

I like the compactness of the kapture group and keith is a nice guy to deal with !
But, with the rotaslide, the 6x9 screen is better when you neef to stitch... so you can see the entire image... and the arca binocular is quite big, but you can adapt the angle, so you gain luminosity in a lot of situation.
My Kapture group is more rigid.

When using a Rmfx and 35 xl, i can't see nothing with the kapture group when i'm using movements !

I will definitely try this one !

David Klepacki

But, with the rotaslide, the 6x9 screen is better when you neef to stitch... so you can see the entire image... and the arca binocular is quite big, but you can adapt the angle, so you gain luminosity in a lot of situation.
My Kapture group is more rigid.
I actually find it just as easy to stitch with the 6x6 screen. I initially use the external 6x9 viewfinder to compose my image. Then I can easily refine the stitching area using the 6x6 screen and Rmfx viewer by simply sliding the Rm3d across the frame. The less bulkier setup is better for me.

When using a Rmfx and 35 xl, i can't see nothing with the kapture group when i'm using movements !
The Rodenstock 35S is a little better in this regard, as it is twice as bright due to the faster F4 speed, but yes the edges and corners are still a little dark in this case.

David Klepacki

Interested to hear if the system works well..
EXTREMELY well. Over the last six months, we have compared every technical camera on the market, and the RM3D proved to be the most capable camera with the highest image quality over the widest range of situations for us. Of course, different photographers may have different needs.

looks very clunky to me
If you define "clunky" as something like the Sinar arTec, then yes the RM3d with a sliding back attached may be considered clunky. The real beauty of the RM3D is that the sliding back is entirely optional, and works incredibly well without it for situations where you are able and willing to measure distance with either the Arca-Swiss E-module or a laser distance meter.

Maybe I will start a new thread that perhaps could benefit others in choosing a technical camera, based on their own needs, and whether the RM3D could be right for them.

PeterA

Yes a thread comparing tech cameras woudl be useful to many people.
btw No offence meant by cluncky -it is the nature of these systems as soon as you try and add a sliding back and also some way to focus via ground glass..you get 'cluncky' -:)

I am not able to try the Arca myself down here - so my reference points are based on Sinar and Alpa - Alpas I own and use and wouldnt bother with their tilt shift adaptor - OR their longer focal length lenses..

Sinar artec - is getting down to which lenses I buy with one...

I 'd like to hear why you think the Arca is better than the artec - before I commit a lot of cashola though!

Pete

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I am not able to try the Arca myself down here - so my reference points are based on Sinar and Alpa - Alpas I own and use and wouldnt bother with their tilt shift adaptor - OR their longer focal length lenses..

Pete
Pete,

I'm interested to hear why you don't like the Alpa tilt/swing adapter or the longer lenses?

Graham

PeterA

Hi Graham,

I love my Alpa system - for wide angle shooting hand held low shutter speed speed or tripod mounted - a peerless camera. I use hyperfocal + guesstimates to get focus - which works extremely well for my uses in the field.

but when you compare the Alpa to an artec - the artec just gives you all the movements as well as a sealed dust free sliding system as well as an enclosed gorund glass with swivelling 3X magnifier so you can get a clear picture of your focal plane on the ground glass - just a neat system.

regarding long lenses on Alpa - focussing isnt good enough using guestimate in field - except for infinity of course - I prefer using MF glass for long lenses.

regarding tilt adaptor for Alpa - firstly artec is better, secondly you dont get all the movements, thirdly - you need to buy different Alpa (short barrel) lenses to use it.

I look forward to more information on arca - because I cant access it down here in OZ. It is a great pity that each of these systems forces users to buy lenses with different mounts...

Pete

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thanks Pete - all reasonable points. It's certainly a topic easier solved using other solutions.

The Alpa solutions at the longer end and tilt swing do point you to using the GG only to frame & focus at anything other than infinity/guesstimate/laser rangefinder. I'm in the process of getting a 90mm and t/s for mine so I have this fun to look forward to I guess!

rhsu

I look forward to more information on arca - because I cant access it down here in OZ.

Pete
...a similiar case of US/CA people cannot readily access arTec - at least they have an agent there. Like to know who the OZ supplier of Arca-Swiss as I am just as eager as you for more info...:thumbup:

Christopher

Is there a way to buy it in Germany/EU or is it sold only through US channels ? I would be really interested in one.