Site Sponsors

Thread: Pentax 645D Arrives in US

waybourn

Pentax 645D Arrives in US

I apologize if the headline misleads anyone, but I just got my new 645D direct from Japan and it meets all the expectations I had, plus more. I couldn't wait for it to hit the US market and have used it continuously since it arrived a couple of days ago. I have been a dedicated 5D and 5DII shooter with various L-series lenses for my portrait work, so making the switch to Pentax was a big leap of faith. So far, I've been very impressed with the stunning quality of the large RAW files. Canon and Nikon will have a hard time matching it. I also had no problems sucking images into CS5 and ACR using a Macbook Pro either. I have not tested it with Lightroom yet, but Bridge works just fine. Once I made the decision to get a 645D, I asked around regarding a reputable dealer in Japan to assist me. I couldn't have been more lucky (and pleased) to find Dirk Rösler of Japan Exposures (www.japanexposures.com). His help was invaluable through every step of the process and he provided excellent customer service answering question after question. I won't hesitate to use him again when Pentax releases more lenses built specifically for the 645D.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Pentax 645D Arrives in US

Congratulations!
    Welcome to the forum.

I was headed down that path and veered off in a different direction. Along the way I found an excellent condition 80-160 lens that I currently have listed on the buy sell forum if you are interested.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19050

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Welcome to GetDPI and be sure to get some images posted soon!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I second that and Welcome to GetDPI.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yup.
    Get those tests in quick and prepare for battle.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I've been putting off a decision on mf system until after PhotoExpo in October so I'm very much looking forward to Wayburn's comments on the Pentax 645d.

espressogeek

Waybourn, I have been thinking of doing this for a while. If Pentax doesn't come through in delivering this to the US via normal channels I might do it early next year. I look forward to seeing samples of your work!

PS - Please excuse me for sounding like a broken record but do you happen to know what the longest exposure this camera can do is?

waybourn

From what I've been able to determine so far, the longest "set" exposure is 30 seconds, but with MLU and remote trigger, it can be indefinite.

Here are some of the first images out of the 645D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice images. Love the GSD shots ... especially the one of the long-hair shepherd (I have two of my own).

Kurt

waybourn

Thanks. Two are longcoats, one just got shaved for the summer because he was miserable; the other one doesn't seem to be as affected by the heat.

You have some great BWs on your site. Love them. You would love the 645D.

Post Thanks / Like

What lens are you using? There is a lovely sense of depth in the image of the broken pot plant.

waybourn

It is the "first" Pentax lens made for the 645D, as I understand it:

Pentax smc PENTAX-D FA 645 55mmF2.8 AL[IF] SDM AW

Apparently there are two more in production and the rumor is that they're both wide lenses, but I have zero hard evidence other than others' speculation and my repeating it here.

Post Thanks / Like

Once I made the decision to get a 645D, I asked around regarding a reputable dealer in Japan to assist me. I couldn't have been more lucky (and pleased) to find Dirk Rösler of Japan Exposures (www.japanexposures.com). His help was invaluable through every step of the process and he provided excellent customer service answering question after question. I won't hesitate to use him again when Pentax releases more lenses built specifically for the 645D.[/QUOTE]

I notice it says on his website that lithium batteries cannot be shipped by air, but must go by surface (ship?). How long did it take to get the battery for your camera?

Post Thanks / Like

I used Dirk too when I got mine, and can confirm that he was excellent.

'Espressogeek' - sorry not to have replied to your earlier message about long exposures - been a bit manic recently! My understanding accords with the above - i.e. 30 seconds or bulb without limit.

'Waybourn' - I am delighted to see another 645D owner on here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking good. keep us posted guys
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy - if you have time to assist with formal testing of the camera (as discussed previously) please let me know.

waybourn

The battery came a week later, but you can get the Pentax Lithium D-Li90 almost anywhere (Amazon $39) and will want a back up. I also got a IR wireless remote for $8 and a wired remote ($11). If you look at the specs online, you can find accessories, including 645 lenses (and 67 lenses if you get the adapter).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ed HUrst View Post
    Guy - if you have time to assist with formal testing of the camera (as discussed previously) please let me know.
    Yes Ed things have settled down for me so I am pretty good after today. Lot's of personal things have been going on so sorry I could not help earlier. Nothing to me just family stuff and getting my wife healthy.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guy, no problems. Really hope your wife is back to full health.
    To get the ball rolling on the testing, perhaps we should agree on a testing protocol - i.e. what parameters we're going to test for, what set-up I need to keep things controlled, etc.. Should we discuss this off list?
    Best wishes,
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pentax 645D will be available in Germany, Austria and Switzerland ... presumably as of January 2011.
    ~ €10.000,- body / €11.000,- with 55mm lens

http://www.photoscala.de/Artikel/Pentax-645D-sie-kommt
    Last edited by thomas; 20th September 2010 at 07:56.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I look forward to seeing more images from the cameras and hearing what the owners think of them. I was really looking forward to the Pentax, but something about the images I have seen seem more like a high-res DSLR than the kind of smooth sharpness and tonality I have come to expect from MFDBs of all resolutions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Green View Post
    I look forward to seeing more images from the cameras and hearing what the owners think of them. I was really looking forward to the Pentax, but something about the images I have seen seem more like a high-res DSLR than the kind of smooth sharpness and tonality I have come to expect from MFDBs of all resolutions.
    but most images that are around are in-camera-jpegs. In RAW Developer things look a bit different, especially with sharpening in R-L deconv. mode.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ed & Waybourn;
    could either of you gents post a link to some 645D RAW DNG's. I am curious to see if LR3 will process them and how they will turn out. Also, how did you get around the whole Japanese manual issue. I am trying to locate an English user manual for me to peruse (I read the manual instead of asking sales/marketing guys, I am weird that way) and have had little success in locating one.

Also, there is a "645D Book" on the pentax.co.jp Online Shop. Do they ship to the US?
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO