The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Traveling with your Technical Camera

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Some of the Lowepro Flipside Backpacks bags open on the strap side to avoid just that problem....but it limits the open size a small amount.
I do have a Crumpler pack that works that way too and has a full length opening. Great for use when you're in wet grass etc. The only problem is that it's a shaped pack internally with room for a pro DSLR at one end but tapers towards the top so useless for a tech-cam kind of outfit (note to Crumpler - please make a boring bag like the Think Tank or Kata here - I'm sure it would sell).

Maybe I should bring along the rain cover after all and try it as a bottom cover - it's normally the first thing I remove from the Think Tank bags and put in the cupboard. I've never had to use one once. Worth a try to see how much hassle it is in real life I guess.

Anyone know where I could buy the B&W Type 90 case here in the US? Seems to be a great combo case/bag. I've checked with every retailer I could find online and none of them actually had any B&W stock - they all drop-ship from the distributer, and the distributer is out of this case for at least four more months they tell me. I would also be happy with a used one if in good condition. Any leads would be most appreciated. Thanks!

thomas

Anyone know where I could buy the B&W Type 90 case here in the US? Seems to be a great combo case/bag. I've checked with every retailer I could find online and none of them actually had any B&W stock - they all drop-ship from the distributer, and the distributer is out of this case for at least four more months they tell me. I would also be happy with a used one if in good condition. Any leads would be most appreciated. Thanks!
amazon lists a #90 case from "CNS" (located in Boston) -> http://www.amazon.com/Technical-Out...r_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285835536&sr=8-1
normally you have to order the inlay separately...: http://www.b-w-international.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32&Itemid=25&lang=en

CSN just drop ships it from the distributer even though they claim it is in stock - it's a little game they all seem to play - don't need to invest much in overhead. The type 90 is sold as a kit with the padded dividers - looks like a great case, and as you say you can stand on it for more height!

thomas

... looks like a great case, and as you say you can stand on it for more height!
yes, this is what I like particularly about cases. It's the additional height I need quite often when the camera is mounted above head level. Don't know your weight, though :) .
Too, overall handling is somehow easier as a case is more solid (and truly water resistant, too)... and when it gets really dirty, it's easy to clean.
The same goes of course for the Peli cases... functionality and built quality is the same IMO. Not sure if there is also a backpack system for the Pelis... but for a large case like the #90 you won't need one anyway.

This is the only style I've seen with a shoulder strap, which I really like (I've got a real backpack camera bag for longer trips). Just wish I could find one actually in stock somewhere. They have the smaller #85 in stock at the distributer but that is too small.

I went ahead and placed an order with CNS for the Type 90 case since it showed "in stock" all the way through the checkout process. And as expected they cancelled the order today - unable to ship.

Still looking for any place that might have this B&W Type 90 case in stock or even used. Thanks...

I found one of these B&W cases in stock and on sale via an online UK store and had a friend in London order it for me, so I've got one of these cases on the way. It feels like they won't be making these any more so I'm glad I got one. My expanding Alpa outfit has already outgrown a big f.64 shoulder bag. I'm hopeful this new case will be just right. Thanks, Thomas for the tip - I had never heard of B&W cases before, only filters! (Or perhaps I'll be cursing for yet another case that ends up in the closet!)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Joseph,

I picked up a Packsafe DuffelSafe 100 & camera insert as an alternative and secure option. Worth a look if you're looking for something of a similar construction, although without the hard case since it's a meshed bag that holds it's shape.