Site Sponsors

Thread: Traveling with your Technical Camera

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Traveling with your Technical Camera

I apologize up front for starting the ubiquitous "camera bag" thread but I think that this one is a little bit different ...

I've been carrying my Alpa Max / back outfit using a Think Tank Acceleration and it's working well enough. However, given that the layout of a technical camera and a couple of lenses is somewhat different to that of the regular DLSR outfit, I was wondering if anyone had come across any carrying solutions that work exceptionally well with this type of camera system?

I'm sure the situation is the same whether you have an Alpa, Cambo, Horseman, Arca etc. All are relatively large flat panels with/without lens attached and seem to take up a lot of space if stored flat with little padding to stop them from moving back/forth in the bag. Similarly, if you store it on it's side (which is what I currently do), it takes up a long & relatively thin section in the center and the layout of the bag is a compromise for the size of lenses/mounts, digital back, plus all the other sundry stuff such as cables, meter, etc etc. Right now I tend to break it all down when I put it in the bag, including removing the viewfinder, back et al. A little tedious but not much of a problem.

It works for me at the moment but are there any innovative solutions or recommendations out there?

(apologies for the cross post to LF section too)
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 14th September 2010 at 15:48. Reason: Terry replied so I put the text back ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Traveling with your Technical Camera

As the newbie here I will benefit greatly from this thread. Right now I've gone vertical. I'm using a Kata style messenger bag that has an extra padded case for the camera with the back attached. It works with my gear but I currently don't have that much. Can't wait to see what solutions other are using.

Rm3d
    Viewfinder
    Cables
    Extra lens
    Laser
    Point & shoot camera

I can't post a picture right here but will edit from home tonight.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=562239&is=REG

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

My Cambo WRS lives fulltime in a Pelican 1600. I've got cutouts for the camera body and P45+ attached as well is a lens, normally the 35mm. There's additional cutouts that hold my 72 and 120mm lens as well as a separate one for the spacer to the 120. I've got 2-additional cutouts one that holds LLC cards and a newly acquired viewfinder. The remaining cutout which used to store my 24mm (sold it) now has my 3-spare batteries. I've got a loose zipper bag that holds my shutter cable release. The 1600 has traveled in the rear of my jeep over some nasty "roads" without any problems; the great thing is that since it's water tight it also helps keep the dust out.

I transfer the camera and one extra lens to a Lowepro (Rover Plus AW) backpack if I need to hike out any distance from the jeep..

This has worked well for me for close to 2 years I've been shooting with the Cambo. Oh I also either carry my tripod of sling that over my shoulder in its Hakuba bag.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm using the f.64 MFX Medium Format System Case for my Alpa 12SWA. It is big and I can fit other gear along with the Alpa. I have smaller bags when I want to travel light.

At B&H:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...t_System.html#

f.64 site:
    http://www.f64camerabag.com/systems2.html

When I have time I'll try to post some images of my layout.

P.S. Think I'll be able to fit the 12STC in there as well!!

tetsrfun

For hiking for any distance, the two camera bag options that I am aware of that have rigid frames and good suspensions are:

Photobackpacker...http://www.photobackpacker.com/home.asp

F-Stop...http://fstopgear.com/

Steve

photohagen

the fstop tilopa is great. i've tried so many different bags. . . .rolling, shoulder, backpack, etc. the fstop tilopa (with the largest icu) suits me best for my alpa max + 3 lenses + digital back + various other accessories. the bag is well made, rigid, and well thought out for people who shoot in the field.

richard

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a Tilopa here myself that we got a chance to demo. Great pack
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I prefer cases over bags.
    I use B&W cases: http://www.b-w-international.com/ind...mid=24&lang=en
    There is also a back pack system for the cases: http://www.b-w-international.com/ind...mid=25&lang=en

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now THATs cool. The backpack addition would probably have my chiropractor rubbing his hands with glee at the thought of his future business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Now THATs cool. The backpack addition would probably have my chiropractor rubbing his hands with glee at the thought of his future business.

I think for a tech camera you don't have to take the largest case
    I use the type #50 for my tech camera kit: http://www.b-w-international.com/ind...mid=66&lang=en
    I carry the camera body with leveling base, 2 lenses, groundglass, finder, finder masks, 3 batteries, lens cleaning kit, sensor brush, e-wipes, laser disto, 6x asph. loupe, WB card, lens shade, white shading diffusor, cables, light meter and the DB. I can walk around for quite a long time with this outfit, no problem.

I have also a larger case (type #61) for my Contax kit (with 5 lenses, a large ballhead and some accessories packed into it)... now, that is heavy! But even with this case I can walk around for some time. But anything longer than 1 hour or so borders on a torture... For long walks with the Contax I use a soft backpack (but only carry 3 lenses and just a few accessories then).

The reason why I prefer cases is I can step on them which saves me to carry around a ladder.
    (Too, if you use a case with a back pack system you can take the case out of the back pack and put it on the ground while you keep the actual back pack system on your back. So if it's raining or if you have to put the case in dirt or mud or so it doesn't matter a lot.)
    Last edited by thomas; 15th September 2010 at 01:54.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to carry my ArcBody in my coat pocket.

Post Thanks / Like

1 bag for the camera + MFDB + 1 lens + bino + rotaslide
    1 bag for the tripod
    1 small bag for lenses...
    i'm using a motorbike, when i'm on site, i mount the RM3D on the tripod, and leave both bags on the top case... then i just carry the tripod and a small bag with other lenses.

i still looking for the perfect case for airplane... while the peli 1560 seems be perfect for the stuff i need to carry... it's too big for some company...

if peli would made a case in the exact dimension, i will buy it on the spot...
    the 1510 is too small the 1560 is too large...

55 cm x 40 cm x 20 cm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peli 1510: 56 x 35 X 23
    Peli 1560: 56 x 45 x 26
    B&W #61: 50 x 42 x 23

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the Kata Bumblee PL-220. It was brilliant for changing between the Phase One 645DF and 4 lenses and a Linhof Techno, Linhof sliding back, 3 LF lenses, loupes, viewing screens, plus Pentax Spotmeter, Lee filters+holders and 2 sets of bellows etc.

Not that it is necessarily a requirement for this thread, but I could swap camera systems in 2 minutes in the back of the car in the dark! The lens cocoons really work well. Whilst the loud yellow interior might not be everyone's cup of tea, it is superb for finding small, invariably black bits of camera which have gone astray!

The harness is really comfortable and the bag is much more lightweight than many competitors.

The loud pink shorts are optional......
    Last edited by baxter; 15th September 2010 at 06:53. Reason: Added link and photo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wish all manufacturers would provide bags with light colored interiors for the exact reasons that you cite. I have a Crumpler backpack that is very similar but orange and it's very helpful (even if the Crumplers always seem too snug/shallow for much stuff). I never quite understood the logic for black or dark grey interiors because they are like dark coffins which make it harder than necessary to find stuff in the bag. I've even had the scenario where I've sold a bag and when carrying out a final last check of the contents I've found minor gear that was hiding at the bottom of the compartments that I would easily have seen had they been brighter.

Is there much usable space in the front compartment of the Kata PL-220? Some of these packs have big pockets but they are so tight that you can't put much in them.

Post Thanks / Like

The Kata website shows some good detail shots and gives plenty of information.

The side pockets are quite thin, I use them for a 105mm pola and the other pocket has another pola and 10x ND filter plus spare cable release.

Front top pocket has things for pens etc I used for spare batts, memory cards and few odds/sods. The bottom pocket held the waterproof cover, spare batteries and other small stuff. They are not massive.

The main compartment is significantly deeper than many bags of the same size. I found this worked really well. The Phase 28mm and 150mm lenses could stand on their ends easily. WIth the Techno, you can see how this went in sideways without poking out the top.

Then there is the compartment for the 17in laptop... or in my case, the darkcloth and camping towel instead. It's not as easy as a Lowepro to strap stuff to, with elastic or webbing fitments.

When faced with the new bag having only seen it on the web, I thought that there is no way I'm going to fit it in, it's all the wrong shape and it needs to go back. In fact it was me who was wrong and simply needed to go back to the drawing board and rethink. Now, I'd be reluctant to change!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's my current bag choice - Think Tank Airport Acceleration - ok for Alpa & Aptus with a couple of lenses, Lee Filters, meter & disto D8. Would prefer something that didn't have to rest on the straps in the mud but oh well:

Post Thanks / Like

I"m with CMB and us and use an f.64 MFX Case for my Alpa system and it works great - mostly for the reason you site Graham - no longer do I need to set my bag down in the mud and muck, and there is often a lot of that at my feet. With a hook underneath my big Gitzo I can also hang the bag there and have full access to everything if I need to. The Alpa system is so much lighter than my Phase One system that a shoulder bag works fine. I've also got three backpack bags when needed for really long trips as well, but I think I"m going to love the shoulder bag. FYI, I will often carry the shoulder bag with a waist belt if I'm going to hike a mile or two but don't want to mess with one of the backpacks - the belt adds a great deal of stability to this rig and transfers some weight to my hips.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The f.64 looks ideal in many ways. I HATE having to lay the pack in the muck on the strap side. I also like the look of the Kata Banana-2/3 bags too although i'd want to check these out in person unless someone has some pics of a loaded bag with technical or LF gear.

Post Thanks / Like

The Kata Bumblebee has a removable elasticated rain cover which I use upside down, so it covers up straps when placed on mud, wet sand and rocks. Being detachable, it is easy to clean, something which can't be said for the Lowepro cover.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Would prefer something that didn't have to rest on the straps in the mud but oh well:

Some of the Lowepro Flipside Backpacks bags open on the strap side to avoid just that problem....but it limits the open size a small amount.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ack_Black.html

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Some of the Lowepro Flipside Backpacks bags open on the strap side to avoid just that problem....but it limits the open size a small amount.
    I do have a Crumpler pack that works that way too and has a full length opening. Great for use when you're in wet grass etc. The only problem is that it's a shaped pack internally with room for a pro DSLR at one end but tapers towards the top so useless for a tech-cam kind of outfit (note to Crumpler - please make a boring bag like the Think Tank or Kata here - I'm sure it would sell).

Maybe I should bring along the rain cover after all and try it as a bottom cover - it's normally the first thing I remove from the Think Tank bags and put in the cupboard. I've never had to use one once. Worth a try to see how much hassle it is in real life I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know where I could buy the B&W Type 90 case here in the US? Seems to be a great combo case/bag. I've checked with every retailer I could find online and none of them actually had any B&W stock - they all drop-ship from the distributer, and the distributer is out of this case for at least four more months they tell me. I would also be happy with a used one if in good condition. Any leads would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Woodland View Post
    Anyone know where I could buy the B&W Type 90 case here in the US? Seems to be a great combo case/bag. I've checked with every retailer I could find online and none of them actually had any B&W stock - they all drop-ship from the distributer, and the distributer is out of this case for at least four more months they tell me. I would also be happy with a used one if in good condition. Any leads would be most appreciated. Thanks!
    amazon lists a #90 case from "CNS" (located in Boston) -> http://www.amazon.com/Technical-Outd...5835536&sr=8-1
    normally you have to order the inlay separately...: http://www.b-w-international.com/ind...mid=25&lang=en

Post Thanks / Like

CSN just drop ships it from the distributer even though they claim it is in stock - it's a little game they all seem to play - don't need to invest much in overhead. The type 90 is sold as a kit with the padded dividers - looks like a great case, and as you say you can stand on it for more height!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

... looks like a great case, and as you say you can stand on it for more height!
    yes, this is what I like particularly about cases. It's the additional height I need quite often when the camera is mounted above head level. Don't know your weight, though .
    Too, overall handling is somehow easier as a case is more solid (and truly water resistant, too)... and when it gets really dirty, it's easy to clean.
    The same goes of course for the Peli cases... functionality and built quality is the same IMO. Not sure if there is also a backpack system for the Pelis... but for a large case like the #90 you won't need one anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the only style I've seen with a shoulder strap, which I really like (I've got a real backpack camera bag for longer trips). Just wish I could find one actually in stock somewhere. They have the smaller #85 in stock at the distributer but that is too small.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is the only style I've seen with a shoulder strap, which I really like
    there is also a universal shoulder strap that fits on all the B&W cases:
    http://www.b-w-international.com/ind...mid=24&lang=en
    http://www.b-w-international.com/ind...mid=25&lang=en

... you just have to find a dealer

Post Thanks / Like

I went ahead and placed an order with CNS for the Type 90 case since it showed "in stock" all the way through the checkout process. And as expected they cancelled the order today - unable to ship.

Still looking for any place that might have this B&W Type 90 case in stock or even used. Thanks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I tried that too - same result.

Post Thanks / Like

I found one of these B&W cases in stock and on sale via an online UK store and had a friend in London order it for me, so I've got one of these cases on the way. It feels like they won't be making these any more so I'm glad I got one. My expanding Alpa outfit has already outgrown a big f.64 shoulder bag. I'm hopeful this new case will be just right. Thanks, Thomas for the tip - I had never heard of B&W cases before, only filters! (Or perhaps I'll be cursing for yet another case that ends up in the closet!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joseph,

I picked up a Packsafe DuffelSafe 100 & camera insert as an alternative and secure option. Worth a look if you're looking for something of a similar construction, although without the hard case since it's a meshed bag that holds it's shape.

Post Thanks / Like

Never seen that type of bag before - looks great for those who travel in public places a lot.