The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Edward Burtynsky shoots oil spill with a Hasselblad

N

Nad54

"Burtynsky has flipped open the airplane’s side window now, and has started shooting—leaning out the window with his Hasselblad"

from

http://www.canadianart.ca/art/features/2010/09/01/edward-burtynsky/

Anyone interested in Edward Burtnsky's epic landscape work should check out these stunning aerials

http://www.metiviergallery.com/artist_collection.php?artist=burtynsky&collection=oil_spill

He switched to using a digital Hasselblad for his aerials of Australian minescapes after problems with film flatness using 5x4.

Before the 'bitchin' starts I am sure he cold have had just as good results with a Phase One camera/back. My point is that a mfd is proving to be more ueable for him for this kind of work

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
There is no bitchin on this forum about brand . The point is he is using MF to get the best results he can. End of day that is all that counts and the system works for him.

BTW welcome to GetDPI a place where the programming is about photography.:)

N

Nad54

Apologies Guy

It was a copy and paste from a post I put on the Luminous Landscape forum where there is plenty of bitching. I should have deleted that bit.

Andrew

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Agreed. Camera gear is a matter of the preference of the shooter. Once the image is produced all that matters is the quality of the image - not what brand it was shot with.

If you can images that strong out of any camera system you're doing something right!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Apologies Guy

It was a copy and paste from a post I put on the Luminous Landscape forum where there is plenty of bitching. I should have deleted that bit.

Andrew
LOL I was just busting them. No worries. We do like to have fun around here at least I do. :thumbup:

But truthfully we all have some preferences as to what we like but all of us here know we can get similar results with other brands as well in most cases. Matter of what it takes to get there though, some systems are easier to work with and some are harder. Personally and I know Jack feels this way as well as owners here. We really try and get folks to do there homework and figure out what system is best for their situation. Even though I shoot Phase i do like Leaf, Hassy and Sinar stuff as well. The Pentax looks really promising ( One lens designed so far) and so does the S2 but that system I have a hard time getting my arms around it ( as a system) although I love the concept of it. To me it's all about a System.

JimCollum

Burtinsky shooting digital... that's the end of film !
nah ... they said wet plate was dead when film came around.. and that's more popular than it ever was right now. (large format film sales are on the rise right now :) :)

... now when Christopher Burkett starts shooting digital.. :D

K

Kirk Gittings

Yes, and I'm still angry that the lightbulb killed off the candle market too!

ustein

Contributing Editor
Just watched the Edward Burtynsky "Manufactured Landscape" DVD. Amazing work on many levels:

- Shows what happens to our planet
- These images look amazingly beautiful while showing our craziness (once saw real prints in Palo Alto)

T

tetsrfun

They're even phasing out manual gear shifting in a bunch of high end sports cars in favor of paddle shifters. Had to cancel my order for the new Ferrari 458 Italia :)

http://tinyurl.com/23c38r7
That's too bad. Guess you will have to look at 430s or 599s. The stick is much more practical for the "street".....I have almost 100,000 miles on the original clutch.

Steve

N

Nad54

Any of you gear heads actually look at the guy's pictures, and read his words?

:ROTFL:

-Marc
I have been following edward Burtynsky's work for a long time (before most people discovered him with 'Manufactured Landscapes'). He is one of the most important 'art' photographers working today. Seeing as this forum is 'medium format systems and digital backs' I thought it an interesting topic to raise.
Digital backs are now at the point where they are replacing film in the 'art' market as well as the commercial market.
Richard Misrach a 10 x 8 user now works with a Hasselblad.

Calling people you don't know 'gear Heads' in what is a technical discussion forum is a bit silly.

fotografz

I have been following edward Burtynsky's work for a long time (before most people discovered him with 'Manufactured Landscapes'). He is one of the most important 'art' photographers working today. Seeing as this forum is 'medium format systems and digital backs' I thought it an interesting topic to raise.
Digital backs are now at the point where they are replacing film in the 'art' market as well as the commercial market.
Richard Misrach a 10 x 8 user now works with a Hasselblad.

Calling people you don't know 'gear Heads' in what is a technical discussion forum is a bit silly.
This forum is full of friends that joke around with one another all the time ... which by definition is "silly" ... plus, we call ourselves gear heads all the time ... of which, I am one of the worst and most here know that ... so, relax.

-Marc

jlm

Workshop Member
loved the oil and quarry series, the guy really gets around!

would love to see prints.

nice abstractions, esp liked discarded oil filters

ustein

Contributing Editor
>would love to see prints.

His prints are amazing (saw a whole show). He created his own commercial printing facility for that in Toronto.