The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo WRS and Lee RF75 Filter System

Don Libby

I've had various success rates in using filters with the Cambo WRS1000 and Phase One P45+; some good and some I wish I had never tried. I stumbled on the Lee RF75 system by accident as I was doing research on my Leica M9 and like what I saw. Lee designed this system primarily for use on rangefinder and high end compact cameras. The filter holder is small as is the filters themselves; the holder attaches to the lens using adapter rings as small as 39mm to as large as 67mm. With the help of a step ring this system is perfect for the 72mm and 120mm Schneider lenses I use.

I ordered the "RF75 Deluxe Set" consisting of the filter holder, clip-on Polarizer and three RF75 neutral density hard graduated filters (0.3ND, 0.6ND & 0.9ND). I also ordered 4 adapter rings (39,46,49 and 55) for my Leica lenses knowing one would also fit my Schneider 72 and 120mm lenses.

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I see you have your batteries very prettily labeled. Is that so Ken doesn't steal them?

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Tim Ernst

Is there an advantage to using rectangular filters like this vs. just normal round ones, stepped up so that all lenses use the same size? (I only use pola and ND, no grads)

Don Libby

Tim, The main reason I wanted to try this system was in order to use a Polarizer which is actually very easy. Hold it up to your eyes while turning it then while keeping it in the same position mount it on the ring adapter. I found a video on You Tube that shows/explains it much better. Other than that I've actually gotten away from using a lot of filters as I found I could do the tweaking in post.

Not sure if there's any advantage of the using rectangle vs. round other than personal preference. Either way just make certain they're made of high quality materials.

Steven, What can I say besides they work for me?

Jack, Actually no comment :D...

Tim Ernst

I've put a little numbered scale around one side of my polarizer (1-10) and so I do the same thing as you - just rotate it until it looks good, then put on the lens and rotate to the same numbered position up. I've gone through several of the Cokin P and x-pro and other systems over the years and they always seem to take longer and use up more space in the pack and get dirty and scratched easily (I even have one of the really big Schneider 6" square polarizers that fits a holder I used for both the Mamiya 28mm and the Nikon 14-24 with no vignetting, and that setup is a monster!). It's all in the work flow that you get used to obviously, but I was just wondering if there was any optical advantage to using the big filters since so many folks seem to like them. I use my 77mm filters now even on the little 40.5mm Schneider lenses - the stepup ring actually acts as a lens shade, and I'm only using the sweet spot in the center of the B+W filter. I've been able to keep the same filter set for the last five or six camera systems, only having to add a stepup ring now and then. Your rig looks sweet of course!

Don Libby

I've lost count of the different filter systems I've tried; yesterday turned out to be the first fitting the Lee. The holder and filters are essentially made for rangefinder cameras that are by default small and I was actually surprised at the size of the holder (I'll try and get an image soon). The holder fits very well in the palm of my hand and the filters are all sized as well. The holder allows for stacking up to 2 filters as well as the Polarizer so it should make for an interesting experience.

Size wise and apparent quality of the overall package should also work well next month in Jackson Hole. One filter system that I can use on both my Cambo WRS and M9; something I haven't had nor thought of before.

Don

Don Libby

This should give you a better idea of the size of this system.

Small size and very light weight.

Don

B

Ben Norton

Thanks for the heads up Don. I've been looking for a decent filter system to go with my Cambo WDS. Do you happen to know if this RF75 has the clearance to work with a Schneider 35XL Apo Digitar lens without causing vignetting?

Ben

Don Libby

Thanks for the heads up Don. I've been looking for a decent filter system to go with my Cambo WDS. Do you happen to know if this RF75 has the clearance to work with a Schneider 35XL Apo Digitar lens without causing vignetting?

Ben
I haven't tried this with the 35mm yet. Not too sure what size ring it would take but will try holding them up just to see. I hadn't thought of using this with the 35mm as I have a center filter ton it that never gets taken off.

I'll try this out next week and report back either here or on my blog (or both)

Don

B

Ben Norton

Hey Don,

Did you ever get a chance to try the RF75 kit on the 35mmXL?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Just a friendly reminder to anyone using such filters on a tech camera...

More glass (especially glass that has the potential to be "shone on" from the rear) increases the risk of flare and makes a good lens shade (and not forgetting to use it) more important. Also don't forget that lens flare can come from reflective/shiny surfaces other than the sun. So be mindful of hanging sunglasses, tripod legs, or very bright (relative to your scene) environmental surfaces.

Don Libby

Hey Don,

Did you ever get a chance to try the RF75 kit on the 35mmXL?
Ben - The quick answer is no. The longer answer is I really don't think it'll work as I tried it yesterday(?) on my Leica 35 and got very slight vignete and that's a much smaller glass face. Based on that I'll try it here in Jackson Hole on the 72 and 120 and report.

Just a side note - take a look at the Mormon Row Barn I posted in the MF images. That was taken with the 72mm and no filters. The color and light was perfect. I'll redo the PP once I return home.

Don

Don Libby

Just a friendly reminder to anyone using such filters on a tech camera...

More glass (especially glass that has the potential to be "shone on" from the rear) increases the risk of flare and makes a good lens shade (and not forgetting to use it) more important. Also don't forget that lens flare can come from reflective/shiny surfaces other than the sun. So be mindful of hanging sunglasses, tripod legs, or very bright (relative to your scene) environmental surfaces.
Doug - as usual you are right. I like the minimal effect of keeping as much as I can off my lenses but since I'm trying this out on my M9 I thought I'd give it a try on the Cambo - the jury as they say is still out....

Don Libby

Just returned from a brief shoot in Valley of the Gods and Comb Ridge area of UT and got to use the filters once again. I have found that they work great on my 72 and 120 Schneiders and will post some samples here just as soon as I get them worked up.

On a side note regarding their use with the M9, I've found they work well with my 135, 90 and 50 however they begin to introduce some vignetting with the 35.

I hope to be able to offer more information within a couple days.

Don

J

Jim2

Nice photos of your camera + filter! So does this require a ring to be screwed on to the lens similar to Cokin system? What's the long thing on the side?

Do you not get vignetting on your wide lenses (is it the 43xl you have?)

Cheers

PS you should be the product photographer for Cambo :)

Don Libby

Nice photos of your camera + filter! So does this require a ring to be screwed on to the lens similar to Cokin system? What's the long thing on the side?

Do you not get vignetting on your wide lenses (is it the 43xl you have?)

Cheers

PS you should be the product photographer for Cambo :)
Jim, my widest lens is a 35mm followed by 72 then 120mm.

The filter sits on a ring similar to that of a Cokin; I use a step ring in order to fit the system on my 72 and 120. That long (black) thing on the side is a cable extension which I keep attached to all my lenses as it's easier and faster to thread the cable release into it.