The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo WRS and Lee RF75 Filter System

J

Jim2

Nice to see you're out having fun! So is there any vignetting on the wide lenses when you're using the filter holder?

As for the black thing.. I was referring to the one on the filter holder itself... does it have some kind of spring mechanism to attach the holder to the ring?

Don Libby

The filter system normally consists of a two-part system; the ring adaptor that screws onto the lens and the filter holder which snaps onto the adaptor and held in place with a spring tension. I say "normally" as Lee designed this for rangefinder camera systems and not for a tech camera where the lens is smaller, I use a step ring to fit in-between the lens and filter adaptor.

Robert White has a video describing how this system fits on a rangefinder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mytVf6Oz0UQ

Once again, I've not used this on my 35mm Schneider as I don't have an adapter large enough and sing as how it introduced vignetting on my 35mm Leica M9 I felt it would do the same w/MF. I'm very pleased with my results to date with the 72 and 120 MF and 50, 70, 135 Leica M9 with no vignetting on any of those lenses.

Anders_HK

Hi Don,

Appreciate if you have info of following:

Don,

This thread was awhile ago. Any luck on fitting a hood onto the holder??

Thanks

Regards
Anders

Once again, I've not used this on my 35mm Schneider as I don't have an adapter large enough and sing as how it introduced vignetting on my 35mm Leica M9 I felt it would do the same w/MF. I'm very pleased with my results to date with the 72 and 120 MF and 50, 70, 135 Leica M9 with no vignetting on any of those lenses.
A MF sensor is larger and with different flange focal distance. Is it thus not that same focal on M9 is not direct comparable to MF sensor? A comparable focal to the 35mm lens on M9 would coincidentally on a 48x36mm sensor be about 50mm.

About the 50, do you get vignetting with shifts/rise and with what amount of shift/rise?

Thanks!

Regards
Anders

Don Libby

Anders,

Sorry for not responding to your question. No I've had no luck fitting a hood onto the holder. There also doesn't appear to be any place for a hood to be attached without it being way too large and thus defeating the purpose of keeping the system's footprint small, lightweight and easy to use.

Regarding vignetting:

Medium Format usage: I have 3-lens for my WRS; 35mm which I have never attempted to use w/the filter system as I keep a center filter on at all times and don't want to start removing and replacing it. I have used this system on my 72 and 120mm lenses with success when shooting with movements.

35mm usage: I have 5-lenses for my M9; 24, 35, 50, 90, and 135mm. I attempted to use the filters on the 35 and found I got vignetting, based on that I haven't attempted to use it on the 24. I've used the filters on the 50, 90 and 135 and am very pleased with what I achieved.

Again, Lee designed this system primarily for a rangefinder camera system where the camera and lenses are small and lightweight. I felt that if it would work on a rangefinder why not try it on a tech camera. I wasn't able to find adaptor rings in the same size as the lenses of my 72 and 120 so I use step rings to make it large enough for the adaptor ring.

Another reason I haven't attempted to use the filter system on the Schneider 35mm was that based on the outcome of my results with the Leica 35 and vignetting.

The only movements I use are with the Cambo WRS thus the only experience in movements with this filter system remain with the 2-lenses list above.

I hope this answers your questions as I'm writing this without any coffee in my system this morning.

Don