Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Interesting Move by Hensel re: Profto Air

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N.S. Canada
    Posts
    2,010
    Post Thanks / Like

    Interesting Move by Hensel re: Profto Air

    Am putting this here given discussion in other MF thread re: the DF grip and Profoto AiR and fast sync, but Hensel, in addition to announcing some new LiO gear, has also announced that they are adopting the Profoto AiR system.

    Under the assumption it would also give full control and 1/1600 sync with the DF grip, thought some might find it interesting.

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...=7-10055-10930

  2. #2
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Interesting Move by Hensel re: Profto Air

    Great move on Hensels part. I may have to buy new lighting now
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N.S. Canada
    Posts
    2,010
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Interesting Move by Hensel re: Profto Air

    Agreed - brilliant move.

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Interesting Move by Hensel re: Profto Air

    Oh, oh ... I have a ton of Hensel gear ... including a bunch of cool light modifiers.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: Interesting Move by Hensel re: Profto Air

    So what, have we sell our old Hensel lights now to get the new? I can't buy more new lights because new technology added/integrated, hope one day to have money as you have to buy more new gear.
    Tareq

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Interesting Move by Hensel re: Profto Air

    Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    So what, have we sell our old Hensel lights now to get the new? I can't buy more new lights because new technology added/integrated, hope one day to have money as you have to buy more new gear.
    if you are talking to me Mr. Professional ... you have it all wrong. I DO NOT have the money to dump all my Hensel lights ... at least not any more since I retired from advertising. And even if I did have the money, I wouldn't.

    I also do not care about all the Profoto improvements ... and won't be struggling to upgrade my Profoto studio system lighting to AIR versions either.

    The only things I've recently added to my lighting kit is portability ... an Elinchrom Quadra ... and a small Visetec battery inverter to plug in a Hensel Monohead to use their Beauty dish on a monopod. With that I'm done.

    So, I'm with you ... trying to keep up with every tech tweak at these prices is too expensive for the return on dollar spent.

    Light is light ... and good Lights are still good lights ... it's not like going from a 16 meg 35mm DSLR camera to a 40 meg or 60 meg MFD camera where the money spent shows up in the photos.

    -Marc

  7. #7
    Ben Norton
    Guest

    Re: Interesting Move by Hensel re: Profto Air

    Nobody needs to dump any of their old kit! The DF grip will sync with the Air Receiver (or is it transceiver?) also in exactly the same way as the Pocket Wizard does.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: Interesting Move by Hensel re: Profto Air

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    if you are talking to me Mr. Professional ... you have it all wrong. I DO NOT have the money to dump all my Hensel lights ... at least not any more since I retired from advertising. And even if I did have the money, I wouldn't.

    I also do not care about all the Profoto improvements ... and won't be struggling to upgrade my Profoto studio system lighting to AIR versions either.

    The only things I've recently added to my lighting kit is portability ... an Elinchrom Quadra ... and a small Visetec battery inverter to plug in a Hensel Monohead to use their Beauty dish on a monopod. With that I'm done.

    So, I'm with you ... trying to keep up with every tech tweak at these prices is too expensive for the return on dollar spent.

    Light is light ... and good Lights are still good lights ... it's not like going from a 16 meg 35mm DSLR camera to a 40 meg or 60 meg MFD camera where the money spent shows up in the photos.

    -Marc
    Exactly, i am happy with my Hensel lights as it is now, and i have a battery power for them, and i also have Profoto Pro head and RingFlash with one battery pack, so i don't feel i really need to change them all to be compatible with AIR, also if i want Air then i should buy that Profoto AIR head and battery pack direct.
    In the future if i will work very exclusively in ads and commercial then later i can think about it.
    Tareq

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: Interesting Move by Hensel re: Profto Air

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Norton View Post
    Nobody needs to dump any of their old kit! The DF grip will sync with the Air Receiver (or is it transceiver?) also in exactly the same way as the Pocket Wizard does.
    It all depends on the shooters, i don't have any DF body, and if someone like to go with new improvements and technology then i am sure there are people will go for it, to me i will wait until Hasselblad will have that grip to be compatible with Profoto AIR but thinking about it i couldn't be happier to use my pocket wizard with Profoto light and AIR head has their own remote receiver, i will be laughing if i have to make all of my cameras to be compatible with AIR, i hope in the future those companies will not make trigger in the lenses as well.
    Tareq

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Interesting Move by Hensel re: Profto Air

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Norton View Post
    Nobody needs to dump any of their old kit! The DF grip will sync with the Air Receiver (or is it transceiver?) also in exactly the same way as the Pocket Wizard does.
    That's nice and convenient to have the trigger in the camera if you have the Phase camera with a DF grip ... but one important advantage of the AIR system over PWs is remote control of the lighting ... for example like built-in Elinchrom Skyport receivers provide with Elinchrom RX lighting ... or using the Hensel Strobe Wizard Plus with Integra Plus heads. I'm assuming this is the case here with the built-in AIR receivers in the new Hensel gear ... yes/no?

    The disadvantage with the Hensel Strobe Wizard is limited reach compared to the PWs or AIR system. I wish they'd goose the sender unit for more reach ... but that would just make what we already have better, and wouldn't sell more new Hensel gear.

    -Marc

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: Interesting Move by Hensel re: Profto Air

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post

    The disadvantage with the Hensel Strobe Wizard is limited reach compared to the PWs or AIR system. I wish they'd goose the sender unit for more reach ... but that would just make what we already have better, and wouldn't sell more new Hensel gear.

    -Marc
    Amen!!!
    Tareq

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N.S. Canada
    Posts
    2,010
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Interesting Move by Hensel re: Profto Air

    My understanding is that the AiR system to be included in Hensel units going fwd will allow sync and power control.

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Interesting Move by Hensel re: Profto Air

    Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    My understanding is that the AiR system to be included in Hensel units going fwd will allow sync and power control.
    Good, otherwise it'd be sort of non-news for most folks with complete PW systems already to use when distance is required over the Hensel Strobe Wizards that already allow remote control of power levels. That has only happened to me once on a job using the Strobe Wizards.

    Thanks for the info Rob.

    -Marc

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •