The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf Aptus-II 12 - 80 Mpx!!!

Anders_HK

Fair that what is being discussed here and in most places is MP and sensor size since this is first what grab attention of people most. However, there is much more to a sensor than this. Thus, is there for Aptus-II 12 more improvements in image quality and performance suffice for this to be labelled a newer generation sensor than was Aptus-II 8 and 10? --- What specifically?

How do these compare to the older Aptus 65 & 75 (Aptus-II 6 and 7) and older yet Aptus 22 (Aptus-II 5)?

Further, how do predeccessor to Aptus-II 12, the Aptus-II 8 and 10 compare to Aptus-II 12?

Regards
Anders

Dustbak

I would like to know how this 80MP Dalsa sensor compares to the other 645 format Dalsa sensor?

Exclusivity for the sensor for Phase companies? What does that mean exactly? The last one was also allegedly exclusive (for a certain period) to Phase (Dalsa sensor as used in the P65+).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
i´d buy one of these if it gets released for the Hy6/AFi.
I'm guessing you'll be able to get it any mount you want when it's the Phase branded version. Of course that one is going to cost more because of the additional features...

thomas

I'm guessing you'll be able to get it any mount you want when it's the Phase branded version.
but not Hy6/AFi... it would be the first Phase One back supporting this mount
Of course that one is going to cost more because of the additional features...
additonal features? Sensor Plus, but other than that let's wait and see...
Currently clearly the Leaf backs offer more features (except for Sensor Plus).

Schmiddi

i´d buy one of these if it gets released for the Hy6/AFi.
No chance - I visited Leaf at Photokina today: as it is known today there will NEVER be ANY new back from Leaf for AFI. So latest option is AIF-II 10 (they still have some, so if you want to upgrade) - no chance for more. The guy from Leaf-Germany also was not happy with this situation (and Yair is talking all day to "unhappy" customers - he was busy so I couldn't say hello, maybe tomorrow). They sold a bigger number of AFIs here in Germany...

Conclusion: they (Phase/Leaf) want us to trash our AFIs and go to Phamyia - I never will do! So let's hope, that Sinar has a future (I will visit them tomorrow)...

Andreas

hcubell

No chance - I visited Leaf at Photokina today: as it is known today there will NEVER be ANY new back from Leaf for AFI. So latest option is AIF-II 10 (they still have some, so if you want to upgrade) - no chance for more. The guy from Leaf-Germany also was not happy with this situation (and Yair is talking all day to "unhappy" customers - he was busy so I couldn't say hello, maybe tomorrow). They sold a bigger number of AFIs here in Germany...

Conclusion: they (Phase/Leaf) want us to trash our AFIs and go to Phamyia - I never will do! So let's hope, that Sinar has a future (I will visit them tomorrow)...

Andreas
What happened to that "open system" philosophy espoused by Phase?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It was Sinar and Rollei together that originally shut Phase out, THAT's what happened to Phase's "open" philosophy... But I'm betting Phase ends up being the adult in this sandbox and offers the next back in Hy6 mount.

thomas

It was Sinar and Rollei together that originally shut Phase out, THAT's what happened to Phase's "open" philosophy...
that's what I've heard, too.
But I'm betting Phase ends up being the adult in this sandbox and offers the next back in Hy6 mount.
I think there is too much R&D involved in relation to the potential sale numbers. So I don't think so.
Leaf does not even support Contax with the new Aptus II 12... (although they will make a Contax mount if demand is high enough, which is in this case easy as they have the interface and the required firmware). And there are certainly much more Contax' around than AFi's/Hy6's ...

Graham Mitchell

that's what I've heard, too.
I think there is too much R&D involved in relation to the potential sale numbers. So I don't think so.
Leaf does not even support Contax with the new Aptus II 12... (although they will make a Contax mount if demand is high enough, which is in this case easy as they have the interface and the required firmware). And there are certainly much more Contax' around than AFi's/Hy6's ...
What R&D? Leaf has already produced backs for this interface.

The advantage of releasing a 645 sensor back for the Hy6/AFi is that you have a captive market. Your back would be the only upgrade path in town.

VICTOR BT

i also dont really understand all the mess, and dont really care to understand.
i know the hy6 is the best camera, leaf back is as good as other two at least.
as for 80mp - too expensive anyway, although im sure the quality should be amazing, and maybe even significant progress over leaf-II-10 beyond extra resolution.
mess or not... HY6 now, and in the future (if it continuous to develop somehow) is The Best camera for such a back together with some technical cameras+lenses.

JSK Rangefinder

Your back would be the only upgrade path in town.
Remember what Hy6/AFi/Sinar/F&H did to Phase One not long ago.. even though they knew they could have sold thousands of Hy6 cameras and perhaps keep that camera alive but instead they chose not to. So now Phase owns Leaf, they could have probably buy Sinar too for less than we can imagine but I don't think Phase would get much out of them at least not now with this economy.. so maybe its a PayBack time :p or maybe not..

thomas

What R&D? Leaf has already produced backs for this interface.
Leaf, yes. But Phase has not. And Leaf doesn't support the AFi mount anymore.
If there would be any interest in supporting AFi mount the easiest thing for Phase/Leaf would be a Leaf back with this mount. But obviously there is no interest. Therefore it's even less likely that Phase will make one.

Graham Mitchell

Leaf, yes. But Phase has not. And Leaf doesn't support the AFi mount anymore.
Leaf's R&D is now Phase's R&D, so it makes no difference.

If there would be any interest in supporting AFi mount the easiest thing for Phase/Leaf would be a Leaf back with this mount. But obviously there is no interest. Therefore it's even less likely that Phase will make one.
No interest? There are at least 3 people in this thread alone who are interested, me included :) It seems there are many more. Read Schmiddi's post here:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpost.php?p=248441&postcount=47

fotografz

I never quite understood what exactly happened with the Hy6/AFi mount.

I remember when I had a Leaf Aptus 75s in M mount and demo'ed the AFi ... only to find out that my 75s couldn't be used, or the mount adapted to the AFi. I was told that the 75s couldn't be adapted due to the complex proprietary integrated technology of the AFi ( which sounded odd to me).

Unfortunately, Leaf also wasn't interested in providing any upgrade path the way Phase and Hassey always have. This made going to the AFi way to expensive just to get the camera system since the AFi back was no better than the Aptus 75s I already had. That's when I said bye-bye to Leaf.

Perhaps it was a "mutual" shutting out on the part of Leaf and Phase due to the same complex interface issues that prevented Leaf's own backs from being used on the AFi? Lot's of effort would have been required on the part of Phase to fit how many cameras? And Leaf would be making AFis without a back for someone else's digital back ... camera's they probably weren't making much, if anything, on anyway.

-Marc

thomas

Leaf's R&D is now Phase's R&D, so it makes no difference.
Graham, the initial question was is Phase going to make a back in AFi mount. If not even Leaf makes one, why should Phase make one?
As to R&D... you can't bulit in the Leaf firmware into a Phase One back... so for a Phase back some R&D would be neccessary in any case.
A Leaf back is not a Phase One back - so it makes a difference. Phase does not even have the interface (i.e. the actual physical mount) ...

No interest? There are at least 3 people in this thread alone who are interested, me included :)
no interest on the part of Leaf and Phase

VICTOR BT

It seems you are right about that. We just have to convince them that they are missing an opportunity (and they are!)
yes, it is not only about how many people are on this forum, or how many owners are out there... "business interest" is more a question of the potential of the system. i also think this camera with leaf or phase back are top, and if the option is given to the potential customers (owners, or new people to the system), there are enough reasons to think that it may succeed business-wise too.

thomas

We just have to convince them that they are missing an opportunity (and they are!)
how many AFi's / Hy6's are around?
Again: Leaf does not even support Contax on the new Apt.12 (at least not initially - and they will only make a mount when demand is high enough) - and the Contax user base is defintely larger than the AFi user base (at least I think we can consider this to be certain even without knowing the real numbers).