Site Sponsors

Thread: Hasselblad H4D-31

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad H4D-31

So Hasselblad has announced a new entry level MF in the H4D-31.
    I wonder if it has the same size sensor as the 40? Comes bundled with either a V lens adaptor or 80mm for about $13K.

Also announced revised 50mm and 120mm lenses.

I'd love the new H4d-31. I wonder if Phase are about to offer anything in terms of competitively priced and comparatively specd products?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Hasselblad H4D-31

Hasselblad also has a Ferrari inspired version of a MFDB that it will sell. Not much that Hasselblad is introducing at Photokina ... so, like other manufacturers they too are featuring a special edition model. Some companies believe that if you are going to attend a show and you are in-between product cycles, you have to generate some PR with a splashy product announcement ... no matter the announcement worthiness.

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...sp?newsID=4515

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

Smart move on their part, me thinks on the H4D31.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's not miss the Phocus on the ipad:

http://press.hasselblad.com/media/19..._phocus_en.pdf

Screenshot at bottom.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

so you hard wire the camera to your laptop and then that connects wirelessly to your I-device...hmmm!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Hasselblad also has a Ferrari inspired version of a MFDB that it will sell. Not much that Hasselblad is introducing at Photokina ... so, like other manufacturers they too are featuring a special edition model. Some companies believe that if you are going to attend a show and you are in-between product cycles, you have to generate some PR with a splashy product announcement ... no matter the announcement worthiness.

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...sp?newsID=4515

Kurt
    Hehe, sorry.. PLAIN SILLY!!

Been Italian and all, loving Ferrari, but this is just silly, I will never shoot with a red painted camera.

Post Thanks / Like

oh boy.. I was so badly hoping for a LOUIS VUITTON Hasselblad with some golden applications on it.. and now they came up with that FERRARI camera.. in red… now tell me how does that match my british racing green 612 Scaglietti ?? can someone please give me some advice what to do now… I am very disapointed.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well the upside is it can get folks into MF easier with costs.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

tetsrfun

Quote Originally Posted by 6x7 View Post
    oh boy.. I was so badly hoping for a LOUIS VUITTON Hasselblad with some golden applications on it.. and now they came up with that FERRARI camera.. in red… now tell me how does that match my british racing green 612 Scaglietti ?? can someone please give me some advice what to do now… I am very disapointed.
    Hasselblad has a history of releasing "specials". Is this the first "special" H series? Off hand I can remember, in the "V"s Gold and Black, Gray, Red, Blue, Yellow and various "Space" editions. A Ferrari branded 'blad probably will sell well in Asia. (A BRG 612 sounds quite attractive)

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

If Hasselblad wanted to get some mindshare without spending a lot of budget, why not just make the H4D in black with black chrome trim. It's the proper color for such a serious camera.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Well the upside is it can get folks into MF easier with costs.
    What is the downside?

This is why I have been so excited about the Pentax 645D.

Alexander DeVoe

Wow. I'm damn glad I waited for Photokina to think about investing in a Camera. The H3DII-31 was very tempting, but TrueFocus actually is pretty awesome, having tried it. This is an AMAZING move by Hasse. I'm glad the world of MF is becoming more and more accessible.

Yay! I am excite!

Now... when do you think this beast will actually ship. From what I gather about 'blads is that they seem to take their sweet time shipping cameras. If I ordered relatively soon, do you think I could get it before year end? Anybody have any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander DeVoe View Post
    From what I gather about 'blads is that they seem to take their sweet time shipping cameras.
    Historically the opposite has been the case, Hasselblad were always very good at announcing product that they had ready to ship. This changed with the announcement of the 60 which being a Dalsa sensor took them ages to learn (their expertise is with Kodak chips). There have been some management changes at Hasselblad since the 60 announcement so hopefully announcements now relate to product that is ready to ship.

Nick-T

Alexander DeVoe

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-T View Post
    Historically the opposite has been the case, Hasselblad were always very good at announcing product that they had ready to ship. This changed with the announcement of the 60 which being a Dalsa sensor took them ages to learn (their expertise is with Kodak chips). There have been some management changes at Hasselblad since the 60 announcement so hopefully announcements now relate to product that is ready to ship.

Nick-T
    That is... VERY good news. I am most likely going to be studying in Vienna In the Spring, and I think a new cam before then might be in order. The timing couldn't be more fantastic. Thanks for the intel, I hope you are very much right!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6x7 View Post
    we've seen Hermes Leica

so your LV Hasselblad with gold hardware could be around a corner

don't worry about the colour, badges match perfectly fine hahaha..

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm, it mentions a 200 meg Multi-Shot, and that current 50 MS owners can send their camera in for the necessary hardware upgrades.

But instead they feature a "pimp my H" version instead? Should be a hot item in brothel's worldwide.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope I can send in my 39MS too.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Green View Post
    What is the downside?

This is why I have been so excited about the Pentax 645D.
    Bill the downside just like the P30+ being they use the same sensor it is a generation older . So in comparisons to the new 6 micron sensors it is slower shooting, it has micro lenses, it's a kodak sensor and your buying a older technology which is not a bad thing. Just that you are a step behind, but these sensors have been the workhorses in the rental , fashion industry for a long time and they produce a great file.

The new sensors are faster shooting, 6 micron , Phase has no micro lenses and I think Hassy does . Phase is Dalsa , Hassy is Kodak they will produce less moire than the 31 mpx and they do produce lower noise in the higher ISO's and the are the newer breed and worth more in resale.

The 31mpx is a great entry level now and getting in the door is easier to do because both Hassy and Phase the 40 mpx is the latest backs.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by symbolphoto View Post
    Let's not miss the Phocus on the ipad:

http://press.hasselblad.com/media/19..._phocus_en.pdf

Screenshot at bottom.
    Price is right!

Post Thanks / Like

That's for sure..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill the downside just like the P30+ being they use the same sensor it is a generation older . So in comparisons to the new 6 micron sensors it is slower shooting, it has micro lenses, it's a kodak sensor and your buying a older technology which is not a bad thing. Just that you are a step behind, but these sensors have been the workhorses in the rental , fashion industry for a long time and they produce a great file.

The new sensors are faster shooting, 6 micron , Phase has no micro lenses and I think Hassy does . Phase is Dalsa , Hassy is Kodak they will produce less moire than the 31 mpx and they do produce lower noise in the higher ISO's and the are the newer breed and worth more in resale.

The 31mpx is a great entry level now and getting in the door is easier to do because both Hassy and Phase the 40 mpx is the latest backs.
    Ah, thanks. I knew there had to be something. Still seems pretty good for entry level.

Post Thanks / Like

Has there been any announcement regarding what chip is in the 31 or even what physical dimensions it is? I'd like to know if it is indeed the older chip also used in the H3D-31 or another newer design. I can't find any real, solid specifications on the web.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Has there been any announcement regarding what chip is in the 31 or even what physical dimensions it is? I'd like to know if it is indeed the older chip also used in the H3D-31 or another newer design. I can't find any real, solid specifications on the web.
    I was told by the rep at the Hasselblad booth that the H4D31 was EXACTLY the same back as the H3DII-31. Only the camera changed, the back is identical in every way.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks David.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Hasselblad also has a Ferrari inspired version of a MFDB that it will sell...
    I loved that when I saw it. A medium format camera likened to a Ferrari. Heh!