The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV-50

jlm

Workshop Member
i wrestled with the sq vs rect format as well. Ultimately, crop sq and fuggettaboudit! you would probably get 40meg sq out of that 50.

bensonga

A square crop would work of course and for my needs, a square crop of the CFV-39 would be more than enough, resolution wise. And I do understand that what drives this are the economics of the chip manufacturers and companies like Hasselblad.

Bottom line, if Hasselblad isn't going to push for it I don't know who will.....and it sure looks like they won't.

But...I can't help wanting to see the 9 micron, full size square sensor from someone, someday, somehow. Remember the special look produced by 9 micron sized photosites that people used to talk about here and elsewhere? Well, maybe technology has advanced to the point were 6 microns can create the same look now, I don't know....or maybe it was all in our imagination.

The simplistic consumer in me says just take one of those 9 micron sheets of sensors they cut the individual CFV-16 sensors from and cut them a little bigger next time. Voila...problem solved! As you can see, I don't have a clue about real life manufacturing. :eek:

Gary

Last edited:

PeterA

Every year we get another 20 megapixels it seems - a halving in the price of the previous years big boy..and a delayed reaction of halving of the price again of the previous to previous years 'old tech'

same cycle repeated over and over...

I set up a bunch of family shots on the weekend with old tech 33 megapixel Sinar on an Hy6 using a 180 Xenotar

the outpt was horrible - waaaaaaay to much resolution and sharpness for real people's faces I have been sin binned by everyone!!!:ROTFL:

so umm what do I want with 80 megapixels?

answer - nothing unless I am a landscape shooter wanting some blurry detail @ 10 kms away..

the CFV16 and some nice Zeis gives you much closer to film look. I really dont think I have the technique to shoot 60/80 megapixels in the field - 30-40 is enough hard.

Uaiomex

Hallo Jürgen!
If Leaf can do it, why Hasselblad won't?
I agree with some people that 50mp may be too much for the old V glass.
However, the logical move was to have provided an internal turntable to that magnificent 39mp sensor, turning Hasselblad into the heroes of the 21 century and possibly into eternity. Vey sadly, they stay in their former category.
Eduardo

Sorry Eduardo

Again no bigger square sensor , as I thought .
I know , many of us would like that very much , but I do doubt that this will ever happen .

Best regards

Seascape

A square crop would work of course and for my needs, a square crop of the CFV-39 would be more than enough, resolution wise. And I do understand that what drives this are the economics of the chip manufacturers and companies like Hasselblad.

Bottom line, if Hasselblad isn't going to push for it I don't know who will.....and it sure looks like they won't.

But...I can't help wanting to see the 9 micron, full size square sensor from someone, someday, somehow. Remember the special look produced by 9 micron sized photosites that people used to talk about here and elsewhere? Well, maybe technology has advanced to the point were 6 microns can create the same look now, I don't know....or maybe it was all in our imagination.

The simplistic consumer in me says just take one of those 9 micron sheets of sensors they cut the individual CFV-16 sensors from and cut them a little bigger next time. Voila...problem solved! As you can see, I don't have a clue about real life manufacturing. :eek:

Gary
I personally think a 9 micron full size(56x56) back has lots of potential, not just for V users but also for tech camera applications. By my math that would be about a 40MP sensor BTW.

Gary is right in that most physically large sensors are not one chip, but a combination of sensors to give the larger real estate, so just make one 56x56. It only needs to be one model in a line of MFDB's.

And make it B&W only, and I would be first in line :thumbs:

T

tetsrfun

o just make one 56x56. It only needs to be one model in a line of MFDB's.
And make it B&W only, and I would be first in line ..
IIRC, a few months ago I saw a link on LuLA re: a 56 x 56 B&W sensor made by Dalsa(?). Probably very low production and therefore $$$$.

Steve

yatlee

I've a 503CW and lenses. I'm about to buy a used phase one p45+ with 12k shot for $14k. After seeing this, should I go for this instead? I'm also using the back with Kapture group sliding back with ebony p45+. Any thoughts?

Y Sol

I'm very disappointed by this announcement: a 50mp back for the V-system? no rotation?
was it developed on the moon?:ROTFL:
Did they ever try to rotate the camera 90° and then look through a 45° viewfinder?
Does Hasselblad really know what the most V owners want? a big SQUARE 56x56 sensor of course.
No Hasselblad, it needs more to surprise us.

Y Sol

archivue

you will be able to use the P45+ in two positions without having to turn the body... that's a big plus !
long exposures rock with the P45+ !

but... you have to deal with the cable... not a big deal for me, but a friend of mine can't stand it... a question of shooting style !

Double Negative

Not Available
I'm tickled pink to see the V system "alive and well" with the release of this back. But, as noted above; I'd much rather have a square 1:1 (full frame) back. It doesn't need to be 50MP (way more than my needs, anyway). Plus, if it were square, there wouldn't be any need for rotating. ;)

fotografz

you will be able to use the P45+ in two positions without having to turn the body... that's a big plus !

but... you have to deal with the cable... not a big deal for me, but a friend of mine can't stand it... a question of shooting style !
You also have to remove the Phase back and rotate it manually. It is not a rotating mount like a Mamiya RZ. That is an idea I like even less than a PC cord connection from lens to back. I remove digital backs from the camera as few times as possible. These backs love to attract dust, and outdoors even more so ... plus the prospect of scratching the sensor filter by mis-mounting it when in a hurry is real ... I know three photographers that did that ... unfortunately, I was one of them :(

What is needed is a 90º V finder with a mask defining the taking area.

-Marc

fotografz

I'm very disappointed by this announcement: a 50mp back for the V-system? no rotation?
was it developed on the moon?:ROTFL:
Did they ever try to rotate the camera 90° and then look through a 45° viewfinder?
Does Hasselblad really know what the most V owners want? a big SQUARE 56x56 sensor of course.
No Hasselblad, it needs more to surprise us.

Y Sol
A big square sensor that no sensor maker produces and probably never will. Even if they did, the cost would be sky-high because of the way sensors are produced and the waste involved in making such a large one.

Repeat ... Hasselblad does NOT make the sensors ... Kodak and Dalsa do.

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

fotografz

I've a 503CW and lenses. I'm about to buy a used phase one p45+ with 12k shot for $14k. After seeing this, should I go for this instead? I'm also using the back with Kapture group sliding back with ebony p45+. Any thoughts?
Personally, I would. The CFV back cosmetically matches the 503CW and looks like a V film back. It doesn't require that pesky PC cord from lens to back ... which is a weak link in the exposure sequence due to possible intermittent failure, and need for replacement (been there, done that, way too many times).

The 50 meg sensor is a higher res, more updated unit, and when using Phocus software Hasselblad has included DAC (distortion & chromatic aberrations corrections) for most all V lenses. It is actually amazing to see the Zeiss lenses get even better :thumbup:.

The only compelling reason to go with the Phase P45+ back is for really looooong exposures. In that it is unequalled.

Both backs will work fine on most any view camera. Both require use of a PC cord when on a Tech/View Camera ... not sure, but I think the Phase needs a wake-up cable ... but others that actually know can speak to that.

-Marc

Seascape

............The 50 meg sensor is a higher res, more updated unit, and when using Phocus software Hasselblad has included DAC (distortion & chromatic aberrations corrections) for most all V lenses. It is actually amazing to see the Zeiss lenses get even better :thumbup:.

-Marc
Marc, that was my thinking as well on those "OLD" V series designs, they should perform very well with the new Phocus DAC corrections.

yatlee

I don't mind the cable. My friend recommended the one shot cable which simplify the process a bit.

paulmoore

I am surprised that there isn't a petition to make hasselblad fit the 1000f as well!!
come on guys buy some new bodies and move into the 21st century.. you want hasselblad to be around in 30 years?.. they aren't going to make it if you hang onto your 500cm forever...there is more to shooting than what is seen through a wlf..you are working with a film camera..it can only take you so far in the digital world we are in.

T

tetsrfun

These backs love to attract dust, and outdoors even more so ... plus the prospect of scratching the sensor filter by mis-mounting it when in a hurry is real
Also dropping it...A couple of years ago I dropped my CFV at the edge of Horseshoe Bend, AZ. As it was headed down 850 feet to the river, I caught it with the toe of my shoe and kicked it back to solid ground.

Steve

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I am surprised that there isn't a petition to make hasselblad fit the 1000f as well!!
come on guys buy some new bodies and move into the 21st century.. you want hasselblad to be around in 30 years?.. they aren't going to make it if you hang onto your 500cm forever...there is more to shooting than what is seen through a wlf..you are working with a film camera..it can only take you so far in the digital world we are in.
Paul

Sorry , but here is a little but friendly disappointment I have to pass on to you .

View attachment 35720

And . . . . , please don't laugh , it works with my CFV-16 and with the CFV-39 when cropped to square .
:ROTFL: :thumbs: .

Very good results .

Of course , I do not shoot with that combination , it was just some fun with my beautiful HASSELBLAD SUPER WIDE from 1957 . A part of my HASSELBLAD collection .
I hope you enjoy that combination .