The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV-50

paulmoore

Paul

Sorry , but here is a little but friendly disappointment I have to pass on to you .

View attachment 35720

And . . . . , please don't laugh , it works with my CFV-16 and with the CFV-39 when cropped to square .
:ROTFL: :thumbs: .

Very good results .

Of course , I do not shoot with that combination , it was just some fun with my beautiful HASSELBLAD SUPER WIDE from 1957 . A part of my HASSELBLAD collection .
I hope you enjoy that combination .
I am all for using the old stuff to shoot digital with..I even like the wacky guy with the holga and phase back.. I still have and use my rollei 6000 stuff, but.. but... I am not expecting squat from any back manufacturer to make backward compatible items.. well in truth I just did a post asking leica to build new stuff for my r lenses..but that doesn't count..
my now invalid point is that the guys making the stuff have to make a buck or they won't be there.. So I promise if I make some profit by dec. I will pony up with some new equipment...

O

OSC

I find this thread very interesting. The Hasselblad V system is an old system with inadequate lens as some indicated on this thread and yet has many responses from folks in a time with ongoing announcements of new technologies from Photokina. I guess something never die and instead transformed into a classic.

Uaiomex

Not just a classic. It is the only camera system on earth with this configuration. The others were the Hy6/Afi camera, the Bronica SQ and the Rolleis, sadly gone. We can count the RZ but its much bigger size makes it unpractical yet. The square "6X6" format systems are ripe now for the digital era. Just name them RB645. Too bad, most photographers went for the rectangular fixed 645 type cameras or like me, shooting just about everything with a dslr.
We'll see better times.
Eduardo

I find this thread very interesting. The Hasselblad V system is an old system with inadequate lens as some indicated on this thread and yet has many responses from folks in a time with ongoing announcements of new technologies from Photokina. I guess something never die and instead transformed into a classic.

Uaiomex

There was a time when the art and craft of photography was perfect. We had 35slr's for fun shooting or decisive moments. We also rejoiced with some 120 cameras that had groundglass big enough to compose "on them", yet they were fast when needed because they used rollfilm. And finally, we had big, gorgeous wood or bench cameras when we had the time and wanted the ultimate picture quality.

Sometimes, it seems to me that we are paying for too many penalties for going digital. Maybe it is the nature of things, perhaps it's only caution or fear or greed or sheer stupidity from these acquiring/merging entrepeneurs.

I will be glad when the transition to digital is over. It is now 10 years since it started in practical and commercial terms. How longer will we have to bear with this?
I hope to have some life left.
Eduardo

Dolce Moda

"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept" - H. Cartier Bresson

S

shutay

Or at least a sensor shift switch (shift up/down, not rotate) that allowed you to shift the sensor up - click - shift it down - click - then stitch it together automatically in Phocus when you upload it. Then shift it back to the middle for normal shooting. Not perfect and not suitable for non-tripod work, but it'll give you a fairly sweet 48mm x 48mm square image... :p Or is this simply too perverse for most?

bensonga

The Hasselblad V system is an old system with inadequate lens as some indicated on this thread.....
I wish we could see more images and tests of Hasselblad CFE/CFi Zeiss lenses using the 30 to 50 megapixel digital backs made by Hasselblad (or Phase One for that matter) to demonstrate whether this impression is correct or not.

Marc, Jurgen, Jim and others have the necessary experience here.....I would love to hear their views (and see more images).

No reason that a Hasselblad 503CW, 501CM, 555ELD should be considered an old and outdated camera system, just because they don't have all the electronic features of the latest offerings from Phase One, Hasselblad etc.

Those CFE/CFi lenses may not be 100% as good as the latest digital offerings, but they may well get us to a 95% solution....just as the Pentax 645 and 67 lenses may perform well enough for most purposes on the new 645D (and same for older Mamiya lenses, both 645 and 67 formats, on Mamiya/Phase One cameras/digital backs).

Gary

Uaiomex

Exactly.
The V system is as modern as any mega feature dslr and better. Please don't let it die, at least till we have something better. So far nothing compares in terms of size, weight, aproach, rapport, immediacy and practicality.
We need another Victor Hasselblad. We need another Oskar Barnack.
Are they born yet?
Eduardo

No reason that a Hasselblad 503CW, 501CM, 555ELD should be considered an old and outdated camera system, just because they don't have all the electronic features of the latest offerings from Phase One, Hasselblad etc.

fotografz

I'll chime in here with a subjective opinion. For most of my photo trek through life, a good old Hasselblad V was part of my kit ... that, and a good old Leica M. Other stuff came and went, but those were the staples. However, that trek came to a fork in the road and I had to make a choice.

When digital started becoming a compelling innovation for commercial photography I tried to keep pace. "Compelling" because film increasingly became too expensive ... not for the shooter, for the clients who had to pay for scans on top of film and processing costs because all commercial printing shifted to digital. Plus, with digital there were less reshoots ... clients saw the results immediately.

This is what initially, and primarily, fueled the Medium Format shift to digital. At first is was very small sensors, then small square sensors in backs that were breathtakingly expensive. To some degree, Kodak broke that price barrier with the Proback ... which only worked on limited V cameras at first.

The limited size of the sensors at the time meant the lens coverage eliminated full use of the legacy lens systems, and the photographer lost at the wide end due to the crop factors. This is what fueled the shift to 645. That, and the innovations in 645 systems like the still capable Contax 645 with its Zeiss AF lens system. With 645, wider angle coverage became a little better (Contax 35mm) , and the sensors grew to a rectangle more suitable to 645 with up to a whopping 22 meg.

Through all these innovations I kept up. Adding a 645 Contax to my Hassey V kit. However, the digital MF innovations kept on coming. More megs, smaller pixel pitch to mitigate moiré. Older systems kept updating backs and lenses at a stunning cost for both (Zeiss 40IF for example). Some camera systems evaporated (Bronica & Contax ... right up to Rollei).

At some point one cannot justify maintaining two separate systems with all the exponentially increasing costs involved. In my case one had to go to feed the other. I divested myself of a lifetime's worth of V gear ... including a beloved 203FE system :(

Here is why:

I tested the crap out of the V and H lens' "practical use" performance using a 39 meg H camera. I had a CF adapter to allow this. In some cases it was a wash. With lenses like to 100 and 40IF the Zeiss lenses kept up or did a little better. IMO, the very important HC 120/4 Macro outperformed the Zeiss version, and was much easier to use. Now Hassey has updated that macro (remains to be seen if it's that much better than the existing one).

More importantly, the old lens coverage reared it's head again. The HC series provided 28mm and 35-90 D lenses with stunning performance. The widest V lens was 40mm with a 1.1X crop factor = 45mm widest coverage on the then existing sensors. The H lenses had a higher sync speed and were AF ... making them more versatile for more applications. Then there was the HTS/1.5 which added even more versatility to the H system. With the H4D camera, the need for maintaining a separate full 35mm system is becoming less necessary.

It was a little sad to lose the tactile feel of the Vs and some the character of a few V lenses, especially some FE versions ... but the HC did a respectable job of filling that gap with the 100/2.2 and updated 150/3.2 ... and I've used a H for so long, and am so familiar with the ergonomics, that it has become second nature ... and I like things that deliver in the end ... that colors my opinion of the system, and how I feel about it.

When the Hy6 went bye-bye ... I saw the handwriting on the wall. IMO, there simply wasn't enough 6X6 potential to fuel development of a 56 X 56 sensor or even a 48 X 48 one ... at least in what is left of my lifetime. Logic prevailed and so did my bank account. For me the V was dead ... long live the V!

With the launch of the Leica M9, the other "Staple" has kept up, and remains an important part of the gear box.

-Marc

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Yes , Eduardo , I can only agree .

The currently available technical cameras have only very few electronic features , if at all , and are not considered old or outdated .

But some camera brands really have so much "technical paraphernalia" , or lets say knick-knack that you can hardly use all their features .
But what I am still missing with these brands is , for example , you can't use them as a cell-phone nor can you cut the grass in your garden .:ROTFL:

Now seriously , horses for courses .
Depending on what your different jobs in photography are , you might of course want to use different tools for your job .
Therefore many feature have a reasonable legitimacy .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Hi Marc

Thanks for your very interesting contribution .
I can only agree to what you say , knowing that your statments come from the absolute professional corner . All your investments must make money and an emotional bond is not essential (but might still exist) .

That is of course very different for a semi professional or even a strict amateur photographer . The investment here must not neccessarily make money . The investment first of all must produce joy and fun and pride .
Not even talking about the other species , the collectors .

I never sold any of my gear , but I "tease" all my beauties and take very much care of them . I have a very strong emotional bond to my gear ,
even to my former trouble maker , the CFV-16 . I have invested not only money , but also plenty of lifeblood .
So it comes , that from time to time I also use a 6x6 camera from the mid 1950ies and have fun with it .

Double Negative

Not Available
IMO, the V series is most certainly a "classic." And I wouldn't call the lenses inadequate at all. Five-bladed apertures and all. :)

Personally, I love solid cameras without many frills. My other favorite cameras are the Leica M8/M9. Sure, they're up to date in the digital sense, but the core of the camera is quite manual. I'll leave all the whizzbang features for the Canon!

What's especially nice about the V system is that you can go from shooting film to digital in seconds. Try that with any other camera...

Besides, there's little reason not to keep your investment alive and well if it still works for you.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
And I would very much like to add , that for those , who already own V-YSTEM gear , getting any CFV-BACK is the cheapest way into the MF digital world .

I use my CFV-16 and CFV-39 together with V-SYSTEM gear , but also with my ALPA12SWA camera and now also with my ARCA 6x9/4x5 F-Line metric camera .
Very versatile in deed .:thumbs:
And I can also use film with all of the above mentioned gear .

PSon

After much diverse paths and so many re-visitations of many different cameras and lens, I have finally come home again and unified all my optic of choices from different platforms into one camera system I love the most, 205FCC, 205TCC, 203FE, 202FA, 201F, 503CW, 555ELD, 553ELX, 903SWC and etc. The reasons for so many re-visitations is to assess one's assessment.

My son was playing with his toys so I pulled mine out, Planar 2/110 FE on the 205TCC and P45+

Last edited:

fotografz

And I would very much like to add , that for those , who already own V-YSTEM gear , getting any CFV-BACK is the cheapest way into the MF digital world .

I use my CFV-16 and CFV-39 together with V-SYSTEM gear , but also with my ALPA12SWA camera and now also with my ARCA 6x9/4x5 F-Line metric camera .
Very versatile in deed .:thumbs:
And I can also use film with all of the above mentioned gear .
I totally agree with this. When people ask my opinion, I steer them to the CFV as a digital solution ... which I loved and openly said so many times.

What I say and what I personally need to do are two different matters entirely. :)

-Marc

David K

Workshop Member
After much diverse paths and so many re-visitations of many different cameras and lens, I have finally come home again and unified all my optic of choices from different platforms into one camera system I love the most, 205FCC, 205TCC, 203FE, 202FA, 201F, 503CW, 555ELD, 553ELX, 903SWC and etc. The reasons for so many re-visitations is to assess one's assessment.

My son was playing with his toys so I pulled mine out, Planar 2/110 FE on the 205TCC and P45+
Wonderful shot Son... that camera/back/lens combo is a winner.

PSon

Bernard et all,
I am making a system that facilitate me to shoot the Hasselblad 200 series camera at any shutter speed and with any digital back. I am almost complete with the project and I will write up the protocol for all of you with images. Furthermore, I am able to use lens from different platform on the 200 series camera as well but this project will follow the first; this statement explains my comment on unification of optics on the camera of my choice. I also discovered an interesting phenomenon with the 200 series cameras but I need time to understand the mechanism to make my statement. Most of the literatures with digital backs (Phase One, Leaf and Sinar) on Hasselblad V cameras have always been on the 500 series and not much on the 200 series cameras. Just send me an email so I will remember to include you in my list when I send the information out.

David thanks for the kind comment on my son's image.

Best Regards,
Son

Last edited:

yatlee

Hi Son,

That's a lovely shot. I look forward to learning more about the 200 series camera with any digital back.

fotografz

These backs love to attract dust, and outdoors even more so ... plus the prospect of scratching the sensor filter by mis-mounting it when in a hurry is real
Also dropping it...A couple of years ago I dropped my CFV at the edge of Horseshoe Bend, AZ. As it was headed down 850 feet to the river, I caught it with the toe of my shoe and kicked it back to solid ground.

Steve
Further recent proof of the danger when removing a digital back from the camera while shooting ... Ouch! :(

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19767

-Marc