The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens Shade solutions (Rm3D)

Christopher

Hi,

I'm really considering the arca system and I just wanted to check what type of lens shading systems there are.

I would like something little more adjustable than the standard arca lens-shade-compendium.

Thomas showed me his Sinar approach wich I really liked, are there any other options out there ?

Thanks
Christopher

thomas

Hi Christopher,

there is also a Lee Filter system -> http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234559&postcount=12
But it does basically the same as the Arca compendium; so I think Arca's own compendium would be better (as it attaches on the body, not on the lens).

There are also the Alpa Pro Lens Shades, but they are limited in use: http://www.alpa.ch/de/products/lenses/pro-lens-shades/pro-lens-shade7075.html

The Sinar Lens shade is unique as you can cover the sensor plane for each movement.

Let's assume this is the sensor centered and at 4-way shift:

For the center a compendium and the Sinar lens shade can do the same:

If you use movements with a compendium you have to enlarge the crop area for the entire image circle - even if you just use, let's say, 15 rise but no lateral movements:

But with the Sinar lens shade you can crop the respective sensor plane:

Of course you can also adjust the Sinar lens shade for any other sensor position in the image circle.
You won't use this feature in any case and with any lens. But for instance my 70HR is really prone to loose contrast when too much light hits the lens. So on this lens I try to shade as much as possible: