The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using Lee ND grad filters on Phase One 28mm

baxter

Well I think we are there!

After a bit of filing, head scratching and much appreciated help from people at Robert White and Lee Filters, I have managed to successfully mount Lee Neutral Density filters on my Phase One 28mm lens. There is probably still some fine tuning to do, but all is looking good and I am looking forward to having the ability to control scene contrast with ND grads.

The solution involves a Lee FIlters 115mm push on holder, X-pro wings 2x4mm blades 2xStd (2mm) blades, 4x1inch screws (even longer would be better) and 4x3/8 screws plus a modified doughnut ring.

The Doughnut ring was the one I had for my Schneider IIIb centre filter and 58, 80 and 110 XL lenses. It has had the internal retaining lip hand-filed away and as you can see a very slight chamfer too to prevent scratching of the lens when putting the holder on the lens. In order to further prevent any scratching, I've put a single strip of black pvc insulating tape on the inside surface. The serrations visible in the photo is simply where my knife snagged.

The 4mm blades are really too wide and the filter slips down due to insufficient pressure/friction. I've added a lamination of 6 strips of pvc insulating tape to the arced pressure plates on each blade to decrease the slot width.

The photos show the holder attached to the lens in situ for 2 ND filters to be placed. You can see that the holder doesn't have full 360 deg contact, but is on all 4 petals of the fixed lens hood. It is plenty secure enough. For one filter obviously I can put it slightly further on the lens. Screws longer than 1 inch with extra blades would enable the holder to sit deeper still on the lens providing some extra spacers were fitted.

Invariably I am using the camera in low light and I want a simple placement system to be able to use with ease and confidence. My current solution is that for two filters, the doughnut ring sits halfway across the Phase One writing on the lens as can be seen in the photos.

I may well investigate having a thin foam stop strip taped around the outside of the lens which will allow the holder to be positively placed permitting the use of 2 ND filters so that they can be staggered. Thus when I want to fit the filter holder it will locate itself at the correct position without any risk of contact between ND filter and petal lens hood. This strip will also permit the use of the standard lens cap, albeit standing slightly proud.

I think this set-up using Lee equipment is more elegant than using a Cokin X-Pro holder with their universal screw adaptor. The latter item appears to be back ordered when I searched for it. The drawback of the Cokin system is that the holder is held in place by point pressure from nylon screws instead of the circular pressure plate that the Lee Push-on holder uses.

Currently I have bought two X-Pro sized filters a 0.3 and a 0.75 because of the limited availability. The 0.75 would not have been my first choice, but I figure that inverting the 0.3 with the 0.75 placed normally will provide the 0.45 I prefer for skies. I won't be able to stagger a 0.3 and 0.45 which is a combination I like to use for coastal shots. I'll see how things go before adding to the collection. The provided nylon pouches are oversized, so I've cut off the tops to enable them to fit easily in my Kata Bumblebee PL-220 bag.

There are absolutely no signs of cut-off in the viewfinder.

I'm leading a workshop this weekend and hope to give it all a shot.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Baxter,

Any issues with reflection off the rear of the filter with this arrangement? Hopefully the hood peak should reduce the chances of this but that's the only thing that has bitten me with this type of filter/hood arrangement in the past.

Looks like a neat solution that you've come up with. Even simpler than the monstrous Lee kit for the Nikon 14-24 which has a similar issue to the 28mm with the hood.

Don Libby

I tried for several months to achieve this same goal (back in 2008) however never quite got it to the point that I had no vignette from any of the holders. This on the other hand looks very promising. Great idea!

Don

baxter

Thanks Don and Graham

I'm hopeful that it will provide a solution to something which always niggled me about the seeming inability to use Grads with the 28mm. I almost didn't buy the lens on account of this.

As you are inevitably aware Graham, reflections can be an issue with any rectangular filters when the light is from certain angles, particularly obliquely behind the camera. With my 100mm Lee system I flag the filter from the light and this seems to work, even with something like a 58mm XL on my old 5x4 camera. However with this 130mm system and the Phase 28mm it is currently as yet untested. If the sun shines during the workshop I'll give it a go with the oblique rear lighting and report back. Slight dilemma as to what to use to flag it with, in the absence of Dark Cloth, Dark Slide or Quickload envelope!

It was one sight of the prototype Lee system for 14-24mm that made me start talking to find something less bulky. The 150mm filters are absolutely enormous and the sail area they will present on a windy cliff or beach will be an issue for camera stability.

baxter

Here you are - two shots with this set up. Rainbow Cove had the 0.75 which was too strong, so had to do selective adjustment layer burn in C1Pro v6 across middle of image to balance things up. Looking back at Anger has the 0.3.

Reflections from the filter on the lens is an issue. I end up trying to use large lens cloth as a baffle, top and bottom to prevent this. Mostly ok, but it is hard to stop and hard to see it happening in low light.

Other issue is that the filters need to be longer when shooting in portrait and you want grad placement over just the top 20-30% or so. Absolutely fine for same frame placement in Landscape orientation.

Colours on bigger images are better than thumbnails.

baxter

You're probably right 'haring' and 'Hauxon', sharing this information and then making the effort to post the pictures and update my findings doesn't merit any thanks.......

Hauxon

I just saw this Baxter, and thanks for posting the images.

Looks pretty good to me, at least no vignetting to be seen. Lee has a wide angle lens hood but I don't know if they fit the 115mm filter holders. I've been thinking about getting one to use with my my 18/3.5 Zuiko. If they do make the Big Stopper (10 stop ND) in 115mm I can heartly recommend it, very little (if any) color cast compared to my BW 110 10 stop filter (witch has brownish cast).

Hrannar

etrump

Looks good, very si ilar to my attempt but a little cleaner. Be careful of light coming in through the back and reflecting off the filters. Especially a problem when the camera is pointed down. It is a real job trying to remove it.