The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

APO-Digitar 5,6/60 | 120mm IC

f8orbust

Surely the multiple shipping and insurance fees involved in sending a lens back and forth would go some way in absorbing any potential savings. Not to mention taxes/duties and potential hassles with Customs.
It's not as difficult nor as expensive as you'd imagine. Since the lenses are only being imported temporarily there are no duties or taxes to pay on them.

And what happens if there is a problem with the lens? Do you send it back to the retailer you purchased the lens from or Cambo? How do you establish whether the problem existed before or after being mounted?
A fair point. On the flip side, you know that the front and rear elements are a matched pair (with any shims required) rather than just separately purchased front and rear element assemblies with a Copal shutter thrown in for good measure (see the Joseph Holmes article, for example).

The convenience factor is not merely that you get a mounted lens in one step from a Cambo dealer. It's also the convenience of having one port of call to deal with if anything goes wrong. I'd personally much rather let my local dealer thrash out any issues on my behalf with Cambo, rather than juggling multiple suppliers and warranties by myself. Consider it a form of insurance.
If I could afford it, I would too. Contrary to what you would believe reading many forums, the margins for lots of professionals (particularly those not shooting high end architecture, fashion, advertising etc.) are tight. If I can save $1k+ - I have to, I don't have a choice.

A further complicating factor is that Arca is not well represented in some countries, not to mention their long lead times and lack of communication. This was a factor in my decision when I was deciding on Alpa/Arca/Cambo/Sinar. As always, a good dealer is imperative, especially one with a decent working relationship with the manufacturer (whoever it may be).
Spot on, and it's not just Arca - though they seem to take most flak because they don't have a website. Where I live (and, I'd imagine, many others) there is no dealer that has demo kit from Arca, Alpa or Cambo on hand to play around with. Purchases have to be made on the basis of feedback from end users on forums like getdpi, which is why a quality forum like this is so important.

Last edited:

f8orbust

The addition of the T/S to the panel has always been (roughly) $1,200 - $1,400
Sorry Steve, I'm not being belligerent here, just trying to make sure I understand this correctly. Having looked at the Calumet website - which has had pretty much every lens available in T/S mount added to it since the last time I looked - the price differential between standard and T/S mount appears to always fall in the range of $500 - $700. In light of this, the difference of $1326 between the new Schneider 60mm standard mount and the T/S mount is difficult to fathom.

Steve Hendrix

Sorry Steve, I'm not being belligerent here, just trying to make sure I understand this correctly. Having looked at the Calumet website - which has had pretty much every lens available in T/S mount added to it since the last time I looked - the price differential between standard and T/S mount appears to always fall in the range of $500 - $700. In light of this, the difference of $1326 between the new Schneider 60mm standard mount and the T/S mount is difficult to fathom.

No worries f8 -

It's different in the US (or whatever reason). It's always been around $1,200 (give or take a few), never 500 - $700. I can tell you in the US the dealer cost itself (not even the retail price) is way, way above those figures.

Steve Hendrix

cng

If I could afford it, I would too.
Don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware of the price differential and the potential savings. I was writing more from my personal perspective of not being located in either the US or Europe, and not having the benefit of more dealers and greater competition to choose from. Purchasing unmounted lenses just wouldn't make financial or logistical sense in my situation.

you know that the front and rear elements are a matched pair (with any shims required) rather than just separately purchased front and rear element assemblies with a Copal shutter thrown in for good measure (see the Joseph Holmes article, for example)
As Robert Heinlein once wrote, TANSTAAFL. I've previously read Joseph Holme's articles (who hasn't?) and find his experiences disturbing to say the least.