The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Theory: Multishot, microstep, wide-angle-lens, tech camera question ...

Nick-T

Just to clarify my post I was specifically referencing Thomas' quote:

"unless you travel with a kind of David Copperfield studio that isolates you from the environmental conditions I think multishot is for studio work with extremely sturdy tripods only"

I feel this comment is completely inaccurate (no disrespect to Thomas intended), you do not need to have a traveling studio and again I have shot multi-shot on location for years on wooden floors with a not especially sturdy tripod, but yes careful technique and a single just just in case. It is a neat convergence that things that move in images (people, trees, clouds, sauces, etc..) tend to be organic things that benefit much less from multi-shot meaning that when you paint in the single shot it is un-detectable.
Nick-T

Nick-T

Actually David it can happen.

The other day I experienced a situation where my CF/39MS would fire the initial calibration shot, then only 2 Multi-Shots and then stopped without firing the other 2 MS.
Actually Marc I think David is STILL right :) The process didn't abort it just the flashes didn't recycle in time and because the mirror is locked up you didn't hear the shutter fire two times out of four 'cos there was no flash. I get this a bit because much of my flash gear is old and slow to recycle on full power.
I seem to have got into the habit of putting large boxes miles back from big diffusion screens thus meaning I have to run the Pulso at the full 6KW making for glacial recycle times :(
If anyone is having trouble deciding what to get me for Christmas some of those Profoto 8s would go down well :)

Nick-T

fotografz

Actually Marc I think David is STILL right :) The process didn't abort it just the flashes didn't recycle in time and because the mirror is locked up you didn't hear the shutter fire two times out of four 'cos there was no flash. I get this a bit because much of my flash gear is old and slow to recycle on full power.
I seem to have got into the habit of putting large boxes miles back from big diffusion screens thus meaning I have to run the Pulso at the full 6KW making for glacial recycle times :(
If anyone is having trouble deciding what to get me for Christmas some of those Profoto 8s would go down well :)

Nick-T
Thanks Nick, perhaps you're right ... the shutter is pretty quiet. I may have been tricked into thinking it was aborting after two shots because the 4 progress windows only made it to 2 before I heard the mirror go back down. Plus, the flash didn't fire at all for the remaining 2 shots ... which is weird 'cause my Profoto D42400 box isn't THAT slow.

No matter, all's well by just changing the flash delay timing a few seconds :thumbs:

-Marc

Last edited: