The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gone Fishing with the Pentax 645D

Uaiomex

Since its name is Pentax 645D, is this camera system engineered to accomodate a 41.5X56 sensor in the future?
Any signs of tunnel vision in the VF?
What's the circle of coverage of the new glass excluding the very wide angle lens?
Eduardo

TCSJordan

Hey everybody, it's Chris and Jordan from The Camera Store.

We're glad to hear that most of you enjoyed our video, and we really appreciate you sharing and discussing our product with the forum members. We want to take this opportunity to clarify some points on the camera itself and our day out shooting with it. The camera itself is designed to be incredibly rugged and can take pretty much anything except a complete dunking, hence the pelican cases to keep things out of the river, however it was a rain soaked day and we can assure you the camera is still working fine. Jordan and I certainly didn't feel like buying a waterlogged $10000+ camera ourselves but Pentax Canada gave us the camera to abuse and torture test, as they want you the photographers to see the high degree of build quality going into these cameras. In our opinion cameras are tools, not jewelry, and we really wanted to demonstrate what we consider one of the primary strengths of this camera.

As for the mirror, Pentax claims the 645D has an advanced mirror timing and braking system which slows the mirror down during it's ascent whilst the shutter is exposed. At moderate to fast shutter speeds this means that while the majority of the exposure is happening the mirror has still not finished it's accent. All we know is we could shoot decently sharp photos hand held even down to 1/8 of a second. And for the fisherman out there it was Cataract Creek in beautiful K country. Thanks again so much for getting us out there and for the feedback on our videos.

Chris and Jordan

doug

... the guy in the video said the 645D had a mirror system in which "you feel the mirror, but it happens after the exposure"...
My interpretation: the mirror upswing is well-damped, return not so. The guy felt the mirror "thwack", but the "thwack" is after the exposure.

David K

Workshop Member
Chris and Jordan, welcome to the forum. I hope you'll keep us posted of future developments with this camera... there seems to be a lot of interest in it and I can understand why. Great features and a very attractive price point. I also enjoyed your video. Looks like you guys had some fun shooting it.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Certainly nice to see the Pentax being used like a rugged DSLR and not babied in a studio environment. That does seem to be a differentiator with it's weather sealing. I know plenty of folks who are scared to death to use their D3's or 1Ds's under those conditions alas.

As for the mirror, Pentax claims the 645D has an advanced mirror timing and braking system
I'm not sure this is really anything new. Pentax had mirror control pretty well dialed in on the 645Nii. I know that film is much more forgiving than digital, but even then several tests indicated that MLU had virtually zero effect on image sharpness.

bensonga

Hey everybody, it's Chris and Jordan from The Camera Store.
Welcome to the forum guys. I originally saw your video posted on the Pentax Forum in the Medium Format sub-forum. Surprisingly, there have only been two brief comments on it there. Obviously, there is alot of interest here in the 645D.

Thanks for an entertaining video and your clarification re the mirror/shutter comment. As a long time Pentax MF film user, I'm really glad to see Pentax come out with this camera.

Beautiful scenery there and I enjoyed the fishing angle too!

Gary