Thread: Gone Fishing with the Pentax 645D

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gone Fishing with the Pentax 645D

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Gone Fishing with the Pentax 645D

Pretty impressive even for non fly fishermen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fish (I mean camera) on!

Thanks for the link, Ben. Enjoyed it on both levels.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing, interesting camera system to say the list

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Better fishing with the new PENTAX than diving .
    But perhaps , that will be possible as well
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fishing, meh.

The abuse heaped upon the 645D: impressive! Did he actually fall into the water packing the 645D?
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

I like the look of this camera, and appreciate how well build it seems to be. I'd really love to try one, or at the very least play with some real world RAW files to see what it can do. Pentax seems to have a real winner on their hands.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

good movie and I find the new Pentax really interesting. With the weather sealing, fast? AF with multi sensors and (for MF) reasonable price/size/weight.

Post Thanks / Like

Camera has features that should have been in mf cameras a long time ago.

But I wouldn't buy a used camera from this guy, weather sealed or not. Talk about hard on equipment.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks to me that the Pelican cases hit the water, not a camera over the shoulder. I don't care how "weather sealed" your camera is, it most likely wouldn't survive a full dunk in the river.

Aside the lack of a removable back, the Pentax does look like a pretty decent system. The film generation medium format N's were definitely very fine systems. I wonder how many Pentax users of the past have sold off all of their MF gear and switched systems by now? There's a lot of good glass out there somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A mildly entertaining video, although I cringed to see him waving that 645D around like that, without a hand strap of some sort. Beautiful scenery, I wonder where it was shot? I haven't been fly fishing for years, but just being outdoors in a beautiful place like that was half the fun.

I'm one of those Pentax MF users (both 6x7 and 645 now) who has kept his gear, including a nice collection of 67 and 645 lenses. Now, if I could justify the $10k price of entry for a 645D (without selling off my Hasselblad kit), I would buy one of these in a heartbeat. I hope this is a real winner for Pentax...sure looks like it could be.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice. If the image quality matches the specs it will probably be my next camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Gary

It was probably shot near Kananaskis country,Castle region or between Banff and Calgary (Alberta) as the store is in Calgary and you need to go west from there for trees.

Ivan from three hours east of Calgary where there are even less trees

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Looks to me that the Pelican cases hit the water, not a camera over the shoulder. I don't care how "weather sealed" your camera is, it most likely wouldn't survive a full dunk in the river.

Aside the lack of a removable back, the Pentax does look like a pretty decent system. The film generation medium format N's were definitely very fine systems. I wonder how many Pentax users of the past have sold off all of their MF gear and switched systems by now? There's a lot of good glass out there somewhere.
    I have to agree. Weather sealed ≠ waterproof.

The lack of a removable back is no that big a deal anymore. Leica's S2 is non removable and Hassy's backs, while removable, are not readily transferrable as they are tightly coupled to the paired body.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    I have to agree. Weather sealed ≠ waterproof.

The lack of a removable back is no that big a deal anymore.
    Not if you just want a MF DSLR I suppose. If you want to be able to use the back on other types of cameras such as technicals or LF then obviously it is a restriction. It's certainly true that's it's less of a factor these days given the significant reduction of interchangeable system choice today. You might argue also that back performance and resolution upgrades can be tackled without having to buy a whole new camera body if the back is removable.

Btw, I was taught a long time ago to carry my camera on the strap so that the lens faced in towards my body, not stick out in the wind so that the glass can whack any hard object such as trees, walls or door frames. I always cringe when I see folks carrying their camera over the shoulder lens facing out.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Upgrading a Hassy back is not as simple as Phase/Leaf backs. Due to the tight coupling, you end up getting a new body anyway. Applicability to tech/LF systems is a consideration when buying into a system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The guy in the video made a comment about the mirror in the 645D going off after the image was taken (to minimize the effect of mirror vibration no doubt), which to my non-technical mind didn't make sense. It would seem like the mirror would have to flip up out of the way before the sensor was "exposed". Maybe I misunderstood what he was trying to say.

Does anyone know if Pentax has done something different re the reflex mirror system with this camera?

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Hello

On the Pentax website the specs for the camera have "mirror lock up shooting" http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...ntax-645d.html,. Whatever that means.

I watched the video and thought it was awful. No one in their right mind would treat a camera like that. How do we know the camera wasn't toast after the shoot. Also, the lack of any real demonstration of the camera's capabilities, or image quality made the video a kinda, sort of introduction to the camera. But nothing in depth. A visit to the website provides more info.

Regardless the video if the image quality of the system pans out this will be a great landscape photo tool and will be my next camera.

Claude Fiddler
    www.wildernesslight.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mirror lock up is one thing which most of us are familar with (and which the P67 and P645NII had already, maybe the 645N also), but the guy in the video said the 645D had a mirror system in which "you feel the mirror, but it happens after the exposure". I'm not sure how that would work or if he was correct.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe the mirror moves faster than light so that effect will then precede cause...

That or Pentax has licensed Time Lord technology and is shunting the mirror lock up vibration into the future just after the shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Since its name is Pentax 645D, is this camera system engineered to accomodate a 41.5X56 sensor in the future?
    Any signs of tunnel vision in the VF?
    What's the circle of coverage of the new glass excluding the very wide angle lens?
    Eduardo

Post Thanks / Like

Hey everybody, it's Chris and Jordan from The Camera Store.

We're glad to hear that most of you enjoyed our video, and we really appreciate you sharing and discussing our product with the forum members. We want to take this opportunity to clarify some points on the camera itself and our day out shooting with it. The camera itself is designed to be incredibly rugged and can take pretty much anything except a complete dunking, hence the pelican cases to keep things out of the river, however it was a rain soaked day and we can assure you the camera is still working fine. Jordan and I certainly didn't feel like buying a waterlogged $10000+ camera ourselves but Pentax Canada gave us the camera to abuse and torture test, as they want you the photographers to see the high degree of build quality going into these cameras. In our opinion cameras are tools, not jewelry, and we really wanted to demonstrate what we consider one of the primary strengths of this camera.

As for the mirror, Pentax claims the 645D has an advanced mirror timing and braking system which slows the mirror down during it's ascent whilst the shutter is exposed. At moderate to fast shutter speeds this means that while the majority of the exposure is happening the mirror has still not finished it's accent. All we know is we could shoot decently sharp photos hand held even down to 1/8 of a second. And for the fisherman out there it was Cataract Creek in beautiful K country. Thanks again so much for getting us out there and for the feedback on our videos.

Chris and Jordan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    ... the guy in the video said the 645D had a mirror system in which "you feel the mirror, but it happens after the exposure"...
    My interpretation: the mirror upswing is well-damped, return not so. The guy felt the mirror "thwack", but the "thwack" is after the exposure.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Chris and Jordan, welcome to the forum. I hope you'll keep us posted of future developments with this camera... there seems to be a lot of interest in it and I can understand why. Great features and a very attractive price point. I also enjoyed your video. Looks like you guys had some fun shooting it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Certainly nice to see the Pentax being used like a rugged DSLR and not babied in a studio environment. That does seem to be a differentiator with it's weather sealing. I know plenty of folks who are scared to death to use their D3's or 1Ds's under those conditions alas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TCSJordan View Post
    As for the mirror, Pentax claims the 645D has an advanced mirror timing and braking system
    I'm not sure this is really anything new. Pentax had mirror control pretty well dialed in on the 645Nii. I know that film is much more forgiving than digital, but even then several tests indicated that MLU had virtually zero effect on image sharpness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TCSJordan View Post
    Hey everybody, it's Chris and Jordan from The Camera Store.
    Welcome to the forum guys. I originally saw your video posted on the Pentax Forum in the Medium Format sub-forum. Surprisingly, there have only been two brief comments on it there. Obviously, there is alot of interest here in the 645D.

Thanks for an entertaining video and your clarification re the mirror/shutter comment. As a long time Pentax MF film user, I'm really glad to see Pentax come out with this camera.

Beautiful scenery there and I enjoyed the fishing angle too!

Gary