The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

UPDATED: Flash info with Elinchrom and LS lenses

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Good news: This is with Elinchrom Quadra Lighting with A head and New Elinchrom Speed transmitter. The A head flash duration at full power on the A post is 1/3000 and on B post is 1/6000. FYI my previous test was with a S head which has a slower flash duration.

Hi folks I am updating a test I did before with new data but thought I would start a new thread because if you read the past report it might confuse this report . Which now this is the bottom line on wireless ( Skyports Speed Transmitter) and the LS lenses from Phase

Okay A head Full Juice with elinchrom wireless the new speed unit I went from 1/400 with the S head to easy 1/500 1/3rd light loss to maybe 2/3rd of a stop light loss at 1/800. Good news here with the flash duration being shorter on the A head at 1/3000 you can sneak 1/800 in with just some light loss. Again at this point it is more flash duration and the wireless timing delay but this unit is only rated to 1/250 with Focal plane. So leaf shutters cheat that and give you faster shutter speeds. This is very encouraging

Okay moved the head from the A post to the B post which is even shorter flash duration at 1/6000 I believe . B post is set for a 2:1 lighting ratio so it drops the power 1 full stop which gives faster flash duration. Okay nice news here I only lose 1/3rd of a stop at 1/800 so with the faster duration it is better than losing 2/3rds on the A post which is full power. Obviously Flash duration is having the final word here on speed and at 1/1600 with same settings it gets cut off by several stops and this effect is now the wireless timing itself.

So in wireless with the Elinchrom Speed transmitter it will always come down to flash duration like normal but you do have the wireless timing. Obviously Profoto Air transmitter found a way to get 1/6000 with timing on there units.

Okay back to hard sync with cord on either B post reduced power or even A post at the 1/3000 flash duration . NO light loss at all at 1/1600

So end of day if your a Elinchrom shooter you may and given your needs not have to move into the Profoto transmitters . Obviously the key here is high flash durations to even think about this and it will be at least 1/3000 to be able to handle this and you CAN cheat with the Elinchrom Speed transmitter given enough power and the need not to use 1/1600. Your max will be 1/800 with some light loss on the Phase LS lenses.

Hard synced no issues at all works as advertised and it is damn cool too.

I should add here you really need to keep a eye on the specs of your flash units since your flash duration/flash power output will be a factor.

Guy Mancuso

Okay found a little secret from Bob if I put the Quadra in speed mode and the transmitter in speed mode on the B post at 1/1600 there is NO light loss at all. Now on the A post at full power with 1/1600 I ONLY lose 1/3 of a stop.

Now you have to have the Speed transmitter for this and put Quadra pack and transmitter in this mode to get this

symbolphoto

Using 1/800th on the Hasselblad, Quadra A head on B and A ports, i lose very little, to the point that it's not even noticeable. I can't help buy wonder how nobody has complained to Elinchrom about this. Why do the speed mode, just for a tiny bump in FP shutters? I'm really confused by this.

Guy Mancuso

Well it is mostly the issue with 1/1600 which is all new and 1/800 is fine like with the Hassy. The transmitter just has a harder time with timing at 1/1600. The speed mode actually improves that but I agree even using 1/1600 will be a special occasion and rare for a lot of folks , nice to have it though. But without the speed mode you simple can't use 1/1600 it is about 3 stops to dark. Speed mode gets it to little light loss. So now you can at least use it at 1/1600 wireless. Otherwise you can't