The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P25 with C1 and LR

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just wanted to see if C1 is still warmer and LR is still on the red side with these fies. As you notice they are both WB to the same Grey patch . Notice LR has more contrast

C1 first than LR

Guy Mancuso

But LR handles the specular highlights better , great example here before i made adjustments to shooting this guy

C1
LR

Guy Mancuso

There is some small sharpening from the defaults David but once again no matter what camera i use LR is red and C1 is more Yellow

Guy Mancuso

Now the fix for LR . Folks you may want to try this . Tip of the day . Raise the red channel luminance to about 28 than lower the red channel saturation to minus 15. This is a quick trick to lower the red in LR you could also save as a preset

Guy Mancuso

Some clean up and a usable file. I use the clone tool at a very low percentage to clone the highlights from a normal tone so instead of burning which creates black using the clone tool brings in the color.

Guy Mancuso

Now some folks after all said and done will either lasso out the eyes so they stay sharp than add a point of Gaussian blur. Also some folks use soft filters for portraits which i am not a big fan of since the master file cannot be changed. Example here of the gaussian blr. Many tricks here that folks use in portraits . I try to keep it simple and fast

Guy Mancuso

Works nice just go slow and take your time because it is easy to over cook it. Keep your brush opacity very low and just work it and move around with different spots. What this also does is actually also is add texture to the area because your cloning the good skin from another area in the forehead. So not only are you adding color but texture as well so in the end it looks normal. David i do the same thing for the wrinkles under the eyes.

Ben Rubinstein

Have you tried lowering the exposure then upping the brightness in LR to restore the blown highlight detail? Highlight recovery just replaces white with grey but this old method from way back (ACR) still works very very well to recover highlight detail while keeping the brightness as it should be. Knock exposure down till there are no more blown highlights and then bring the brightness back to where it should be. Adds a very tiny amount more noise overall but is a great tool. Marc taught me that one a long while back.

Guy Mancuso

Little better Ben and maybe with not such a blown specular it would work better. This guy had one shinny forehead no matter what I did i got it

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Guy - in C1
For the image with the hot Highlights
In the Quick Tab > Base Characteristics try changing it from Film Standard to Linear Response
You will then have to add a curve because the image will look flat

Guy Mancuso

Here is Linear in C1 . Bottom line this guy's forehead is so hot there is nothing that can be done this side of real makeup. He is a greasier.

The third shot the main did not move so not a camera or real processing function but neat to try and fix it this way but in the end you just have to airbrush

Guy Mancuso

Well he did have a somewhat red tone face but also classic Adobe red in LR and for this guy may have to do more correction. Right now not going to worry on this back since it is a loaner and not my new Plus . Tuesday when my P25 Plus comes i will have to make a calibration in LR to get rid of the red. Honestly the DMR. M8 and all the Kodak sensors in LR it seems to go red. Not sure of the canons, maybe a canon owner can verify that for us. But i do want to compare the two raw processors more when I get the new back. I lean more towards LR myself but maybe when the new Pro version comes it will flow better for me in C1 but C1 does correct things for the Phase backs and noise seems to be better in C1. So will have to test them out and see which one is working better. The nice thing is the recovery and shadow controls in both programs not sure how I lived without them before, just makes processing much quicker.

Guy Mancuso

Let's try something new here once again the red in the face can be seen in LR whereas the C1 files looks better in the skin tone but the red in the dress is clearly better. Now this is the P30 plus and clearly i think the Plus is the key with color . Reading that the Plus system has improved the color and is now more optimized. So I have a feeling the Plus is a whole new ball game over the non Plus Phase backs . I did not WB this just as shot

C1 than LR

Ben Rubinstein

Guy it's a useful method to have under your belt anyway..

I've lived with ACR colour from the beginning, I'm into warmer over colder for WB, I'm a wedding shooter by profession and warmer is more flattering, however that red cast is very annoying. You can try and correct it with a bit of green but it adds a global green cast which just isn't good. I tried the calibrate script back in the days of my 1Ds original but I found that it just made the reds worse. I would look at other options but the bridge/ACR workflow is just too good for me and no one needs 'truly acccurate' colours for wedding photography.