Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A 39MP walk through town ...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A 39MP walk through town ...

Quote Originally Posted by EH21 View Post
    You can park full size images at flickr for free and link to them easily enough so why reinvent the horse?
    Can you post RAW files or full-res TIFs? I assumed that Flickr was jpeg only, which defeats the purpose a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Graham and EH21,

Flickr allows the upload of TIFF files (.tif), but they are converted to .jpeg in one's account. I just uploaded a TIFF file and checked the "original". It was labeled as ".jpg". I downloaded it from Flickr just to confirm and I now have a .jpg version on my desktop.

Flickr uses ImageMagick to accept several file formats, but it seems that they convert all to JPEGs in the process. Perhaps I'm missing something, but that's what I see.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm at best a part-time pro photog. Photography is something that I need in my real business for product shots plus something that I just enjoy. I really only shoot paid stuff for firearms stuff with a few magazines, garage & pit stuff for some Nascar teams, and airshows for local advertising or the paper.

The big problem with using 35mm format for me was that an editor would suddenly decide to crop and then do a two page center, or blow up a cover to banner size, etc...

I'm sure you guys know the feeling of "Oh S$$T", that looks terrible because it just doesn't have the resolution when they surprise you like that.

I have actually been evaluating my needs in gear very heavily recently. Talking to the Nascar guys and explaining that I would probably be shooting MF vs. DSLR next time in November was rather funny. They asked what is MF? Once I explained the huge advantage for the image use to them, they fell in love with the idea. It was rather funny that they had just accepted the pixelated stuff when blown up large, because everybody shot a "dual purpose" fast/action DSLR to do all the machine gunning/telephoto track stuff. At the end of this they actually agreed to a higher rate for the MF stuff.

Best,

Ray

thsinar

Dale,

Use "YouSendIt": there you can post TIFs, or any other format, free up to 100MB.

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post
    Graham and EH21,

Flickr allows the upload of TIFF files (.tif), but they are converted to .jpeg in one's account. I just uploaded a TIFF file and checked the "original". It was labeled as ".jpg". I downloaded it from Flickr just to confirm and I now have a .jpg version on my desktop.

Flickr uses ImageMagick to accept several file formats, but it seems that they convert all to JPEGs in the process. Perhaps I'm missing something, but that's what I see.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

higher rate for the MF stuff

BINGO!!!!!!
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Thierry. I agree with you, that yousendit.com is a good option. I was just trying to clarify that flickr is not an option for unaltered files as suggested by another poster.

There are a couple of other file transfer services as well.

Best,

Dale

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps getDPI could offer a subscriber level which included FTP file transfers. It would not be difficult to setup if members would like the convenience.

higher rate for the MF stuff

BINGO!!!!!!