The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A 39MP walk through town ...

David K

Workshop Member
Kurt,
A photographer friend of mine who shoots Hassy and flies all over the world working for them at trade shows, etc. shoots the same "type" images that you posted and he makes a nice income from selling those as stock to Getty. I don't have the "eye" to do this well, perhaps you do (or don't) but the fact is that MF gear is used, productively and profitably, for this type of shooting.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
LJ and Peter, I was taking no offense to anyone or anything being said. Quite the opposite actually as I believe that all of the commentary is thought provoking for me personally and solidifies the idea that I believe that I'm headed in a new direction. And, that direction feels liberating. :)

jlm

Workshop Member
agreed about the difficulty of critically evaluating at a posted image, so, this is sort of on topic: what is the best way to both present and view an image on this forum? obviously, they have to be reduced in size and made into sRGB, jpg, etc. how about linking to a larger Tiff?
then when viewing someone's pic, do you just look at it in the forum window, or do something else?

jm

Graham Mitchell

agreed about the difficulty of critically evaluating at a posted image, so, this is sort of on topic: what is the best way to both present and view an image on this forum? obviously, they have to be reduced in size and made into sRGB, jpg, etc. how about linking to a larger Tiff?
then when viewing someone's pic, do you just look at it in the forum window, or do something else?

jm
How about a small JPEG (as we currently see) plus a link to a high-res file which is either a raw file or a TIFF? (We can use a free host service such as mediafire.com to host the high-resolution files).

EH21

You can park full size images at flickr for free and link to them easily enough so why reinvent the horse?

Mitchell

I'm very thankful for the presence of sales people and manufacturers reps here. They have very useful info that often can't be found in stores, or on the web.

I'm considering a MFDB system, but I don't think I would try it without the support and info available here and on LL. For me, these forums are an essential ingredient to make MF practical, way more necessary than for 35mm where other sources of info are more available.

Thanks for the forum!

Mitchell

Dale Allyn

Graham and EH21,

Flickr allows the upload of TIFF files (.tif), but they are converted to .jpeg in one's account. I just uploaded a TIFF file and checked the "original". It was labeled as ".jpg". I downloaded it from Flickr just to confirm and I now have a .jpg version on my desktop.

Flickr uses ImageMagick to accept several file formats, but it seems that they convert all to JPEGs in the process. Perhaps I'm missing something, but that's what I see.

harmsr

Workshop Member
I'm at best a part-time pro photog. Photography is something that I need in my real business for product shots plus something that I just enjoy. I really only shoot paid stuff for firearms stuff with a few magazines, garage & pit stuff for some Nascar teams, and airshows for local advertising or the paper.

The big problem with using 35mm format for me was that an editor would suddenly decide to crop and then do a two page center, or blow up a cover to banner size, etc...

I'm sure you guys know the feeling of "Oh S$$T", that looks terrible because it just doesn't have the resolution when they surprise you like that.

I have actually been evaluating my needs in gear very heavily recently. Talking to the Nascar guys and explaining that I would probably be shooting MF vs. DSLR next time in November was rather funny. They asked what is MF? Once I explained the huge advantage for the image use to them, they fell in love with the idea. It was rather funny that they had just accepted the pixelated stuff when blown up large, because everybody shot a "dual purpose" fast/action DSLR to do all the machine gunning/telephoto track stuff. At the end of this they actually agreed to a higher rate for the MF stuff.

Best,

Ray

T

thsinar

Dale,

Use "YouSendIt": there you can post TIFs, or any other format, free up to 100MB.

Thierry

Graham and EH21,

Flickr allows the upload of TIFF files (.tif), but they are converted to .jpeg in one's account. I just uploaded a TIFF file and checked the "original". It was labeled as ".jpg". I downloaded it from Flickr just to confirm and I now have a .jpg version on my desktop.

Flickr uses ImageMagick to accept several file formats, but it seems that they convert all to JPEGs in the process. Perhaps I'm missing something, but that's what I see.

Dale Allyn

Thanks, Thierry. I agree with you, that yousendit.com is a good option. I was just trying to clarify that flickr is not an option for unaltered files as suggested by another poster.

There are a couple of other file transfer services as well.

Best,

Dale

Dale Allyn

Perhaps getDPI could offer a subscriber level which included FTP file transfers. It would not be difficult to setup if members would like the convenience.

higher rate for the MF stuff

BINGO!!!!!!