Site Sponsors

Thread: Traded-in backs taken off market?

Post Thanks / Like

Traded-in backs taken off market?

I'm still looking to find my first MFDB, and I'm trying to get a S/H one that fits my needs and my budget. After shooting emails out to appropriate distributors, I was given the name of one dealer that possibly had an appropriate back.

I checked the dealers' web site and there was no mention of a back anywhere, so I decided to call them. I was told that they had two backs in that were around my budget, but normally they wouldn't have put them on sale to the public. The reason for this was that they got a far better deal by trading the backs in themselves against a manufacturers' promotion.

To be fair, in this case, the dealer is looking to help me out; but it could easily have been a different story.

I was wondering if the dealer presence here could comment, and whether this is 'normal' practice. Surely stopping people getting on the first rung of the ladder won't help anybody in the long run?

Graham.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Traded-in backs taken off market?

I'm interested in any info on the entry-level/trade-in market as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Normally the digital back manufacturers want the backs returned to them because they are looking to increase their market-share with these promotions.
    I know that Phase One has been taking the backs that have been traded (in particular their own) and donating their use to schools. They have put together packages that are comprised of multiple digital backs,software and a curriculum to be used in the classroom.
    There are often times when we bring cameras in for trade that we re-market with warranty and support.
    Not sure if you contacted myself or Chris, but we would be more than happy to see what your budget it is and see if we can help you.
    We do on our website have some of our used inventory up there, but there is some equipment that is not posted.
    Please email or PM.
    L
    Lance Schad
    Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
    305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
    Capture Integration
    My Blog
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by shakeshuck View Post
    I'm still looking to find my first MFDB, and I'm trying to get a S/H one that fits my needs and my budget. After shooting emails out to appropriate distributors, I was given the name of one dealer that possibly had an appropriate back.

I checked the dealers' web site and there was no mention of a back anywhere, so I decided to call them. I was told that they had two backs in that were around my budget, but normally they wouldn't have put them on sale to the public. The reason for this was that they got a far better deal by trading the backs in themselves against a manufacturers' promotion.

To be fair, in this case, the dealer is looking to help me out; but it could easily have been a different story.

I was wondering if the dealer presence here could comment, and whether this is 'normal' practice. Surely stopping people getting on the first rung of the ladder won't help anybody in the long run?

Graham.
    In many cases, it makes more financial sense for a dealer a sell a trade-in to an end user, rather than send it in. But it depends on many factors that change frequently, such as the brand and model of the back traded in, what condition it is in, what generation it is, and what it is being traded in for.

The 3 manufacturers that I do business with change the amount of trade-in credit quarterly, so sometimes it's better to trade in, sometimes it is better to sell to a customer.

My preference is always to try and sell it to a customer rather than trade it in. First, that allows me to put a product into someone's hands at a price they can afford (that benefits the customer), second, it allows me to make a sale and either begin or continue a relationship with that customer (that benefits me and the customer).

Regardless of how much inventory I have in used/refurb/demo - and I always have something - I always have access to whatever each manufacturer (Leaf, Sinar, Hasselblad) has sitting on their shelves in addition to my own.

I don't currently have any refurbs listed on PPR's site, but that will change soon as a new section devoted to medium/large format digital capture will be launched shortly.

Steve Hendrix
    www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lance_schad View Post
    Not sure if you contacted myself or Chris
    First of all let me start by saying my comments were not aimed at anybody in particular, what I wanted to find out was whether or not this was general practice amongst dealerships. I am currently UK-based and as such none of this is intended to reflect badly on yourselves. I just think it is something that fellow photogs need to be aware of.

Normally the digital back manufacturers want the backs returned to them because they are looking to increase their market-share with these promotions.
    I can see how this would improve the latest sales figures, but I can't imagine the back manufacturers being happy when they find out that the people benefiting from their promos are the dealers, and they are losing out on potential new-to-brand customers.

I know that Phase One has been taking the backs that have been traded (in particular their own) and donating their use to schools. They have put together packages that are comprised of multiple digital backs,software and a curriculum to be used in the classroom.
    I didn't know this, and I am all in favour of it. However, the brand-loyalty they are trying to implant in kids may take a few years to come to fruition; meanwhile I'm willing to buy into it now!

we would be more than happy to see what your budget it is and see if we can help you.
    We do on our website have some of our used inventory up there, but there is some equipment that is not posted.
    Please email or PM.
    L
    Lance Schad
    Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
    305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
    Capture Integration
    My Blog
    [email protected]
    Perhaps Dale may be able to make use of this info. Unfortunately for me, with UK import duties and tax probably adding 40% to the cost of an item like this, I'm afraid it's not financially viable. Otherwise, I would have been happy to take you up on your offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps Dale may be able to make use of this info.
    Yes, all of this information is very helpful. I'm still evaluating my "needs" vs. "wants" vs. "timing". Thank you very much for this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix/PPR View Post

My preference is always to try and sell it to a customer rather than trade it in. First, that allows me to put a product into someone's hands at a price they can afford (that benefits the customer), second, it allows me to make a sale and either begin or continue a relationship with that customer (that benefits me and the customer).

Steve Hendrix
    www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
    Well said, Steve. This is the sort of comment I like to read!

Thanks to Lance and Steve for being up front about this.