The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LR vs leaf capture.....

Stan Lawrence

Haven't been able to figure out leaf capture, having pretty good results with LR. At 800 there's a lot of noise, 400 down is pretty clean. Would I have any better results with leaf capture? Samples coming when the rain slows down...:cool:

Anders_HK

Haven't been able to figure out leaf capture, having pretty good results with LR. At 800 there's a lot of noise, 400 down is pretty clean. Would I have any better results with leaf capture? Samples coming when the rain slows down...:cool:

LR / Camera RAW has no / not much input from Leaf

LC from Leaf, but Leaf is now Phase One company, thus Capture One has input (profiles etc) from Leaf.

In my opinion, Capture One wins hands down in adjustment possibilities, settings, ease, workflow. It match my brain!

Suggest to try it http://www.phaseone.com/en/Software.aspx

Mine is Aptus 65

Regards
Anders

SergeiR

Stan - LR is not a bad tool, but its keep lacking proper skin rendering. C1 and LC do those things way better so far, IMHO. Only issue with C1 is that its a wee bit flaky with pre-AptusII leaf backs (as in - crashing, having issues with processing and such, but in all fairness - less in 5.2 than it used to be in 5.0).

--

Anders, out of curiousity - when you do same RAW processing with default values ("as shot"), no corection - C1 vs LC - do you get more grain but a bit more details from LC like i do with my 54s?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Stan - LR is not a bad tool, but its keep lacking proper skin rendering. C1 and LC do those things way better so far, IMHO. Only issue with C1 is that its a wee bit flaky with pre-AptusII leaf backs (as in - crashing, having issues with processing and such, but in all fairness - less in 5.2 than it used to be in 5.0).

--

Anders, out of curiousity - when you do same RAW processing with default values ("as shot"), no corection - C1 vs LC - do you get more grain but a bit more details from LC like i do with my 54s?
There is always a balance struck between increasing detail extraction (real, not perceived) and increasing granularity/noise. Capture One has always erred towards the side of detail extraction even when grain goes up somewhat.

C1 5.0 was the first version that supported Leaf file. 5.1 was better for Leaf, 5.2 was yet again better for Leaf and I would expect that trend to continue until you see no meaningful difference between the support/stability/quality of working with Leaf vs. Phase.

I would strongly suggest Capture One over Leaf Capture. If learning a new program is intimidating just select [Window > Workspace > Simplified] and most of the tools will go away and the entire program will be less intimidating (without losing any of the processing quality). When your ready the "Default" Workspace will bring them all back.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

Stan Lawrence

C1 5.0 was the first version that supported Leaf file. 5.1 was better for Leaf, 5.2 was yet again better for Leaf and I would expect that trend to continue until you see no meaningful difference between the support/stability/quality of working with Leaf vs. Phase.

I would strongly suggest Capture One over Leaf Capture. If learning a new program is intimidating just select [Window > Workspace > Simplified] and most of the tools will go away and the entire program will be less intimidating (without losing any of the processing quality). When your ready the "Default" Workspace will bring them all back.
I loaded Capture One 5.1 on my mac today, works really well. It would be nice if the tools showed their name with a mouse over, it would speed up the learning. I worked on a couple of files, most of it is pretty easy, just need to watch a couple of tutorials to fine tune the workflow. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm really starting to like this camera....:cool:

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I loaded Capture One 5.1 on my mac today, works really well. It would be nice if the tools showed their name with a mouse over, it would speed up the learning. I worked on a couple of files, most of it is pretty easy, just need to watch a couple of tutorials to fine tune the workflow. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm really starting to like this camera....:cool:
There is a nice tutorial for CaptureOne from Luminous Landscape.

BTW, there are tooltips if you place your cursor over many of the tools. It takes a second for them to appear, and if you move the mouse at all they "flash" too quickly so you have to move off and back onto the tool.

Stan Lawrence

There is a nice tutorial for CaptureOne from Luminous Landscape.

BTW, there are tooltips if you place your cursor over many of the tools. It takes a second for them to appear, and if you move the mouse at all they "flash" too quickly so you have to move off and back onto the tool.
That's what I get for trying to work fast.... thanks. :cool:

Anders_HK

--

Sergei,

It is possible LC can get a bit more details, but I not sure. Lets bear in mind that Leaf support is new to C1. Prior I used Camera Raw CS4 and C1 is far superior in all ways.

For my Aptus 65 I have experienced no crashes with C1. I use early 17" Aluminum body MacBook Pro with full specs and 256 SSD.

Regards
Anders

yaya

Stan you should try 5.2 it adds some useful functionality for Leaf and Mamiya backs such as Live View and its firmware is in line with LC 11.3.6

I'd also recommend this site for tutorials

Yair

tatibcn

Hello Yair

I agree that C1 works very very well with my A75s files. Last night we did a series of night shots (interior and exterior), and the long exposure-quality was stunning.
Much better then I was used to get from LC or C1 the last years.
A huge step forward.
BUT...the day before we had a beauty shooting...and working tethered was deadly slow (recent 17" MBP, SSD, FW800).
For working tethered in fast shootings theres no way to go with C1 - LC is lightning fast.

Hope P1 can fix that soon, my assistants and me love to work with one programm ;-)

Klaus