The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P25 Plus noise test/ Very Boring sorry

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The P25 plus came in and just wanted to run something quick and as i suspected it is better with noise than the p25 . I shot this in my kitchen at F22 because i wanted slower shutter speeds and was at f22 with a 55mm . I'm looking at noise only here but anyway processed in C1 and i can tell it is tuned for this back . Noise was set at the defaults and sharpness is there at a lower setting. This is normal shooting not trying to do anything i would not normally do . If i wanted less noise than I could play more but just want to see what comes out of the can at the given ISO that is provided by the back. This is a visual test. I will post the full image first in order. 50,100,200,400 and 800

Guy Mancuso

Re: P25 Plus noise test

I also chose this for the mixed lighting and did NOT WB it. Daylight and some tungsten. Let's move on to the crops

Guy Mancuso

Okay the crops at 100 percent same order 50 up. Look at the hood vent , grey is a great place to see noise.

Guy Mancuso

From my seat extremely good right up to ISO 400 and 800 is very respectable . I have more but a nice start just for grins let me do a 100 , 400 and 800 at 200 percent

Guy Mancuso

Now in good light at ISO 800 and than the last 2 the exposure was bumped up about a half to or more. And from playing around in San Juan i would just add a stop better with the P30 plus back so it's 1600 would be equal to the P25 plus 800

Guy Mancuso

This is a crop from another image ISO100 and 800. Yes a difference but still very good at the 800 mark. 800 first

Guy Mancuso

And just for grins ISO 400. Conclusion it rocks the house . I am thrilled at the ISO 400 performance

Dale Allyn

I'd be happy too, Guy. They look good. Noise is definitely there at the upper ISOs, but it's usable, and could be removed if need be.

Thank you.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Hi Guy, these indeed look good. It's probably difficult to do without a direct comparison, but how would you compare the overall image quality between the P25+ and P30+ backs?

Guy Mancuso

Hard to say Kurt , For some reason the P25 plus back just has more to it . DR , Color and saturation but hard to say because i did get some nice p30 plus stuff in San Juan. The P30 plus to me is the fashion shooter rig . No moire and a little toned down compared to the P25 plus. It does have a stop advantage but your stuck with it on your back . Shift and tilt stuff are just out plus there is a crop factor good , bad or indifferent depending how you look at it. I look at this as 12 stops of serious DR , extremely good color, tone and saturation plus a file that can be moved anywhere and let's not even mention the detail. Hell any of the Phase are going to be great but to me i am so far over the 35mm line that I have really happy and getting a P45 plus is being a pig and I don't mean that in a bad way. Just mean have a need for it because there is nothing to sneeze at with the P25 plus back. I may move to a P45 plus back but contrary to the betting going on it will be awhile. There is a big jump in price and right now I would rather work on building the lenses. I just need one but I do have my eye on the 28mm also. Lance is sending me one this weekend to play with more. I need to see if the cost is justified. I loved it in San Juan but need more time with it . Folks really need to try these and shameful plug here they need to come to the lighting workshop and try them all first hand. :D

Guy Mancuso

I'd be happy too, Guy. They look good. Noise is definitely there at the upper ISOs, but it's usable, and could be removed if need be.

Thank you.
Yes and in good light even better results , so yes they have come a long way in the noise dept. Frankly the ISO 800 is better than my M8 is at ISO 640 from what i can see

Guy Mancuso

Dale and Kurt from my seat and my opinion is you guys need to make the jump. I know your both after the same things I am after and this just makes sense.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Guy, I will make the jump in a matter of days ... I'm just torn between the different backs. Can't go wrong with any of the solutions ... but the errors in judgement are magnified at these prices.

Dale Allyn

Guy, it does look like the P25+ has nice manners. I think I'd like a P45+ or equivalent, but that's a long ways off for me right now. I want to try 22MP first, though I may start a bit more humbly before going with a back of this caliber. (Maybe follow your path even.)

Still wrestling with where to draw the line in the sand. ;)

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
Very nice Guy. I am impressed with the ISO 400 and that is a mighty good thing to have available if you want to be shooting at f/22. Nice kitchen too...

Guy Mancuso

Working on it Robert. Check this out from earlier . C1 and LR . LR looks to have a touch more noise at the 800 level but it also has more contrast at defaults

C1
LR

Dale Allyn

Wow. That's a big difference between C1 and LR. I think I'd need to adjust from defaults for sure. The LR version seems a bit heavy handed to me.