The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider 120mm TS lens for Phase 645

narikin

Had a play with this lens at Photo East yesterday.
seems very impressive.

- very large
- but lighter than that size suggests
- a little disappointed the lens isn't faster than f5.6.
- manual aperture, but with an quick stop down ring (the blue one)

the 120mm is a very simple construction, with just 6 elements, and they claim maximum res is at f/5.6. lots of knobs to turn, a little complicated for outdoor use, but will be fine for controlled use in studio or architecture.

will probably get one.

narikin

no they didn't give me a price. it was Schneider showing it, so maybe that was left to Phase.
good question about the coupling. I forgot to check!

and delivery was expected in... March. sigh.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Dang... I need the dollar to rebound past the Euro a bit before I get too serious ;)

narikin

while the lens optics may be extremely simple, if high tolerance, the construction of the mechanical design is a work of fiendish ingenuity and complexity. Knobs everywhere, click detentes for everything, pieces sliding over pieces, tripod bushes that rotate 360, etc.

its one of those pieces that the designers will be smiling about in their retirement...

baxter

Was any indication given about whether they are going to produce shorter focal length Tilt/Shift lenses for the Phase cameras?

120mm is too long for using very often in the landscape, especially at that price point. Something in the 45-65mm ballpark would be great.

S

SCHWARZZEIT

I forgot to mention that the quoted price does include 19% VAT.

-Dominique

K

Kirk Gittings

120mm is too long for using very often in the landscape, especially at that price point. Something in the 45-65mm ballpark would be great.
120 would not be used very often for architecture either where wide lenses are the most commonly used.

On my DSLR I most often use the 24t/s, 35, next, then 45 and least a 90. I'm not sure how that works out on the Phase.

I could see it being much more useful in the studio.

goesbang

I would guess that this lens is pitched directly at the product/still life market. Lots of value there. I'd imagine some portrait shooters will be eagerly awaiting this lens too. I can see myself getting one to replace my Nikon 85 Shift for selective focus portraits. Much easier to use than my Fuji GX680 too.
Portrait length with focus shift plus the skin tones and texture from my P65+? Yeah baby, bring it on....
[Runs off to find a couple of new clients to help fund this purchase]

goesbang

Was any indication given about whether they are going to produce shorter focal length Tilt/Shift lenses for the Phase cameras?

The Mamiya 50mm TS is a great performer in this range and regularly available for a song on eBay......

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The Mamiya 50mm TS is a great performer in this range and regularly available for a song on eBay......
To be 100% correct, the Mamiya 50 shift is a SHIFT ONLY lens, not a "TS" Tilt-Shift lens. But it is a very good performer.

Geoff

Schneider has expertise with the 55 T/S lens, first made (?) for Bronica, and then for Rollei. It is crisp all the way to the edge.

yaya

Check this image...had a bit of a play with the 120 T/S outdoors, wide open at 5.6 with full tilt and a bit of a shift, just to see how much control you've got over the focus plane...

Sharpness is very impressive BTW with an 80MP sensor:)

narikin

Don't forget you can STITCH with this lens, by locking the lens to the tripod then moving the shift you get to place your sensor in different parts of the large image circle and extra 24mm is possible (12mm each way), SO... that 120mm becomes in effect a wider lens. more like an 80 or so, and as the lens itself is locked, there is no parallax shift, so its a perfect join.

I do agree that an 80mm T/S would have been useful. Though personally for what I want it for, 120mm is pretty great.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
there is no parallax shift, so its a perfect join.
Correction: this is not true with lens shift -- you need the lens to remain stationary to get a zero parallax shift. With a shift lens, you need to COUNTER shift the body by the same amount you shift the lens for zero parallax. This is precisely why tech cameras that have REAR shift and rise are so much more desirable than ones that shift on the lens standard.

Cheers,

narikin

Umm Jack - we are saying the same thing... the post said that because the LENS locks to the tripod (not the body) It is in fact making the film back move like a technical camera..
Hence LLS Lens Locked Shift, with zero parallax error.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I totally missed that feature -- my bad and you are correct!

baxter

Thanks for explaining about the shift and stitching. It's very helpful getting a report from someone who has actually seen and handled the lens.

I note that the 645DF and back is a heavy brick to be moving around and hanging off the lens mount.

Personally I'd really still want something wider even allowing for the stitch. Focus stitching which I'm currently using as a tilt substitute isn't great when there is subject movement and have been craving to be able to apply some tilt or swing. In the meantime..... I'm still seeking lottery funding to get a Techno or similar!