The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phocus and Aperture Problem - HELP !!!

harmsr

Workshop Member
Phocus (beta) and Aperture don't seem to play well together. Do any of you using Phocus also have Aperture on your machine? Since loading Phocus, has Aperture refused to work?

See this email which I sent Hasselblad yesterday. I'll post what they respond, when they answer.

Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 19:01:58 -0700
To: <[email protected]>
Conversation: Phocus / Hd3II39 problem
Subject: Phocus / Hd3II39 problem

Phocus crashes the Apple Aperture application if it is installed. Aperture worked fine prior to the Phocus install. Once Phocus was installed Aperture opens to the initial white screen that shows you version and vault information then crashes. It displays a screen which states that it unexpectedly closed would you like to ignore, send report, or relaunch. Hitting relaunch causes the same thing to repeat. I completely deleted Aperture and reloaded it from scratch. The crash still persisted.

I completely removed Phocus, and Aperture ran perfectly.

I reinstalled Phocus and Aperture crashed as above.

Once again completely deleting Phocus, Aperture ran perfectly.

This also repeated on my other machine identically. Both machines are the latest 15" / 2.5 Processor / MacBook Pro running 10.5.3 and have all updates from Apple applied.

HELP!!!! How can I run both Phocus and Aperture on the same machine.

Please feel free to contact me to discuss and help resolve.

Ray Harms
HCD

PeterA

Ray - I had a brand new Aperture 2 ldoing EXACTLY what you have reported! Grrrrrrrrrr I was pulling my hair out! thanks for sharing this issue.

Pete

robmac

If you're saying that just having Phocus on your hard drive but NOT open crashes Aperture, that's very, very strange. I can think of no reason why an application on your HD but not running could effect another app - unless Phocus does something odd in the System folder on install.

If having Phocus OPEN crashes Aperture if you try and run it as well, that could be solved - maybe.

Reinstall Phocus, run it and open Activity Monitor (an Apple utility) while using Phocus. It will yell you what apps are using what memory and CPU assets at any given time and will show a live pie chart of CPU usage, RAM committed, etc. See if anything weird is happening. It is possible that Phocus is a real memory hog and is crashing Aperture.

Aperture 2.01 (which I use) is MUCH improved over earlier version, but it still needs more headroom then some apps to run cleanly.

Anyway, see what Activity Monitor shows you as a start. It will reveal ALL programs running, no matter how small, and what they are consuming at any given time - may be revealing.

harmsr

Workshop Member
Rob - I have not tried the actual non-beta Phocus yet, but will let you know.

Peter - I too was pulling my hair out.

I had a nice email and conversation with Per Holk from Hassy tech support today to explain the situation in detail. He emailed them in Europe with details. I am assuming that it is an easy fix, so let's see what he manages to come up with.

Best,

Ray

harmsr

Workshop Member
Rob - I did not check the activity monitor but will do so.

However, you are correct in what you understood.

Just having Phocus on the hard drive causes Aperture to crash. (Phocus is not open.) When I remove anything associated with Phocus from the library in Mac HD & the User area (applications / application support / caches / preferences) then Aperture runs fine again.

Best,

Ray

robmac

The nice benefit of AM is also allows you to drill-down into each process running (even itself), see more detail on what it's doing, what its consuming and what ports it's using - and allows you to force quit any process as a troubleshooting aid.

As an example, my Epson scanner application, which I haven't opened in months has installed an app that on every startup actively looks for a Epson scanner being plugged into a USB or FW port. Currently is using 10,5MB of RAM and when scanning (every 5 secs of so, uses 0.4% of my CPU.

Keep us posted, curious as to what the issue might be.

robmac

Just saw your post - that is WEIRD and then some. Only thing I can think of is Phocus is doing something in the System Folder that Aperture doesn't take well to. If no other applications seem bothered, contact Apple as well - they might shed some light on the matter. Comparing 'this is how ___ works' from both firms might reveal the issue. Odd.

robsteve

Subscriber
Rob:

You can right click an application and select package contents to see what else that is installed in addition to the executable. The problem Ray has can be as simple as the Hasseblad_RGB profiles installed as part of Phocus hanging aperture when Aperture reads the icc library.

Robert

fotografz

Phocus (beta) and Aperture don't seem to play well together. Do any of you using Phocus also have Aperture on your machine? Since loading Phocus, has Aperture refused to work?

See this email which I sent Hasselblad yesterday. I'll post what they respond, when they answer.

Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 19:01:58 -0700
To: <[email protected]>
Conversation: Phocus / Hd3II39 problem
Subject: Phocus / Hd3II39 problem

Phocus crashes the Apple Aperture application if it is installed. Aperture worked fine prior to the Phocus install. Once Phocus was installed Aperture opens to the initial white screen that shows you version and vault information then crashes. It displays a screen which states that it unexpectedly closed would you like to ignore, send report, or relaunch. Hitting relaunch causes the same thing to repeat. I completely deleted Aperture and reloaded it from scratch. The crash still persisted.

I completely removed Phocus, and Aperture ran perfectly.

I reinstalled Phocus and Aperture crashed as above.

Once again completely deleting Phocus, Aperture ran perfectly.

This also repeated on my other machine identically. Both machines are the latest 15" / 2.5 Processor / MacBook Pro running 10.5.3 and have all updates from Apple applied.

HELP!!!! How can I run both Phocus and Aperture on the same machine.

Please feel free to contact me to discuss and help resolve.

Ray Harms
HCD
Thanks Ray ... you just solved the mystery. Same thing happened to me.

I haven't even read the rest of the responses yet, but just wanted to say thanks ... you saved me some hair pulling.

robmac

Rob:

You can right click an application and select package contents to see what else that is installed in addition to the executable. The problem Ray has can be as simple as the Hasseblad_RGB profiles installed as part of Phocus hanging aperture when Aperture reads the icc library.

Robert
Could be on to something with the profiles. Hear you on the right-click.

While not likely of any value here as it appears Phocus is installing some files Aperture doesn't like, the value I find of AM is you can 'watch' executables in action and what resources they consume or just see what executables are running in the background that you may not know about vs. just seeing an apps. installed package contents.

One would have thought that Hasselblad would have tested Phocus against the two most prevalent DAM applications (forget initial processing, etc, just management) out there - LR and Aperture. Like they used to say: "If buildings were built like code-writers build software apps, the first mouse that came along would destroy civilization"

Last edited:

robsteve

Subscriber
There was an update last night to OSx, which included some changes to aperture 2, so it may also have been a problem on the Aperture side.

harmsr

Workshop Member
Rob,

The apple update was not it. This happened under 10.5.2 also, prior to me doing the 10.5.3 and pro apps update.

Best,

Ray

robmac

A suggestion. Re-install Phocus and temporarily remove the Hassy RGB profiles into a folder and see what happens. Not a solution, but may help pinpoint the problem.

woodyspedden

I have had this problem and spent over five hours with Apple ProApps tech support trying to resolve it.

The solution (at least in my case) was to get the very latest OS software upgrade (I am on Leopard). Apparently Apple made some changes to the Aperture product within the OS which has done the trick.

If this doesn't work for you (and I suspect it will) you have two choices. First you can remove Phocus and work the 3FRR files in Aperture. Or you can do what I did for a while which is to create another user account on your machine and install Aperture there. Since Phocus will not be a part of that user account there will not be conflicts. Worked perfectly for me.

Hope this may help

Woody

fotografz

I have had this problem and spent over five hours with Apple ProApps tech support trying to resolve it.

The solution (at least in my case) was to get the very latest OS software upgrade (I am on Leopard). Apparently Apple made some changes to the Aperture product within the OS which has done the trick.

If this doesn't work for you (and I suspect it will) you have two choices. First you can remove Phocus and work the 3FRR files in Aperture. Or you can do what I did for a while which is to create another user account on your machine and install Aperture there. Since Phocus will not be a part of that user account there will not be conflicts. Worked perfectly for me.

Hope this may help

Woody
BEWARE. A pal of mine was shooting a huge job in LA and created a user account so clients couldn't see other client files. It started to rain and they shut down the computer to run for cover. There was a dialog box that came up asking if they wanted to save the work on the user file which they blew by in the rush ... and they lost the entire shoot.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
BEWARE. A pal of mine was shooting a huge job in LA and created a user account so clients couldn't see other client files. It started to rain and they shut down the computer to run for cover. There was a dialog box that came up asking if they wanted to save the work on the user file which they blew by in the rush ... and they lost the entire shoot.
Okay someone has to say it . That just sucks big time:thumbdown:

BradleyGibson

Ouch. That hurts.

Not sure if this was a recent event or not, but if it just happened, tell your friend not to use his computer (I'm assuming it was a Mac) until he has a chance to undelete the files. If he copied them to his computer, they're still there. Applications like Data Rescue can retrieve this data.

If he used CF cards, an application called PhotoRescue will do a good job of ressurecting the last set of images on each card he was using.

So there's a still a pretty good chance your friend can save much of the day's work.

-Brad