Site Sponsors

Thread: Phocus and Aperture Problem - HELP !!!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Phocus and Aperture Problem - HELP !!!

Phocus (beta) and Aperture don't seem to play well together. Do any of you using Phocus also have Aperture on your machine? Since loading Phocus, has Aperture refused to work?

See this email which I sent Hasselblad yesterday. I'll post what they respond, when they answer.

Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 19:01:58 -0700
    To: <[email protected]>
    Conversation: Phocus / Hd3II39 problem
    Subject: Phocus / Hd3II39 problem

Phocus crashes the Apple Aperture application if it is installed. Aperture worked fine prior to the Phocus install. Once Phocus was installed Aperture opens to the initial white screen that shows you version and vault information then crashes. It displays a screen which states that it unexpectedly closed would you like to ignore, send report, or relaunch. Hitting relaunch causes the same thing to repeat. I completely deleted Aperture and reloaded it from scratch. The crash still persisted.

I completely removed Phocus, and Aperture ran perfectly.

I reinstalled Phocus and Aperture crashed as above.

Once again completely deleting Phocus, Aperture ran perfectly.

This also repeated on my other machine identically. Both machines are the latest 15" / 2.5 Processor / MacBook Pro running 10.5.3 and have all updates from Apple applied.

HELP!!!! How can I run both Phocus and Aperture on the same machine.

Please feel free to contact me to discuss and help resolve.

Ray Harms
    HCD

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Phocus and Aperture Problem - HELP !!!

Ray:

Have you tried Phocus 1.0? I was just posted on the Hasselblad site in the last day or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ray - I had a brand new Aperture 2 ldoing EXACTLY what you have reported! Grrrrrrrrrr I was pulling my hair out! thanks for sharing this issue.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

If you're saying that just having Phocus on your hard drive but NOT open crashes Aperture, that's very, very strange. I can think of no reason why an application on your HD but not running could effect another app - unless Phocus does something odd in the System folder on install.

If having Phocus OPEN crashes Aperture if you try and run it as well, that could be solved - maybe.

Reinstall Phocus, run it and open Activity Monitor (an Apple utility) while using Phocus. It will yell you what apps are using what memory and CPU assets at any given time and will show a live pie chart of CPU usage, RAM committed, etc. See if anything weird is happening. It is possible that Phocus is a real memory hog and is crashing Aperture.

Aperture 2.01 (which I use) is MUCH improved over earlier version, but it still needs more headroom then some apps to run cleanly.

Anyway, see what Activity Monitor shows you as a start. It will reveal ALL programs running, no matter how small, and what they are consuming at any given time - may be revealing.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rob - I have not tried the actual non-beta Phocus yet, but will let you know.

Peter - I too was pulling my hair out.

I had a nice email and conversation with Per Holk from Hassy tech support today to explain the situation in detail. He emailed them in Europe with details. I am assuming that it is an easy fix, so let's see what he manages to come up with.

Best,

Ray

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rob - I did not check the activity monitor but will do so.

However, you are correct in what you understood.

Just having Phocus on the hard drive causes Aperture to crash. (Phocus is not open.) When I remove anything associated with Phocus from the library in Mac HD & the User area (applications / application support / caches / preferences) then Aperture runs fine again.

Best,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

The nice benefit of AM is also allows you to drill-down into each process running (even itself), see more detail on what it's doing, what its consuming and what ports it's using - and allows you to force quit any process as a troubleshooting aid.

As an example, my Epson scanner application, which I haven't opened in months has installed an app that on every startup actively looks for a Epson scanner being plugged into a USB or FW port. Currently is using 10,5MB of RAM and when scanning (every 5 secs of so, uses 0.4% of my CPU.

Keep us posted, curious as to what the issue might be.

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw your post - that is WEIRD and then some. Only thing I can think of is Phocus is doing something in the System Folder that Aperture doesn't take well to. If no other applications seem bothered, contact Apple as well - they might shed some light on the matter. Comparing 'this is how ___ works' from both firms might reveal the issue. Odd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rob:

You can right click an application and select package contents to see what else that is installed in addition to the executable. The problem Ray has can be as simple as the Hasseblad_RGB profiles installed as part of Phocus hanging aperture when Aperture reads the icc library.

Robert

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by harmsr View Post
    Phocus (beta) and Aperture don't seem to play well together. Do any of you using Phocus also have Aperture on your machine? Since loading Phocus, has Aperture refused to work?

See this email which I sent Hasselblad yesterday. I'll post what they respond, when they answer.

Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 19:01:58 -0700
    To: <[email protected]>
    Conversation: Phocus / Hd3II39 problem
    Subject: Phocus / Hd3II39 problem

Phocus crashes the Apple Aperture application if it is installed. Aperture worked fine prior to the Phocus install. Once Phocus was installed Aperture opens to the initial white screen that shows you version and vault information then crashes. It displays a screen which states that it unexpectedly closed would you like to ignore, send report, or relaunch. Hitting relaunch causes the same thing to repeat. I completely deleted Aperture and reloaded it from scratch. The crash still persisted.

I completely removed Phocus, and Aperture ran perfectly.

I reinstalled Phocus and Aperture crashed as above.

Once again completely deleting Phocus, Aperture ran perfectly.

This also repeated on my other machine identically. Both machines are the latest 15" / 2.5 Processor / MacBook Pro running 10.5.3 and have all updates from Apple applied.

HELP!!!! How can I run both Phocus and Aperture on the same machine.

Please feel free to contact me to discuss and help resolve.

Ray Harms
    HCD
    Thanks Ray ... you just solved the mystery. Same thing happened to me.

I haven't even read the rest of the responses yet, but just wanted to say thanks ... you saved me some hair pulling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    Rob:

You can right click an application and select package contents to see what else that is installed in addition to the executable. The problem Ray has can be as simple as the Hasseblad_RGB profiles installed as part of Phocus hanging aperture when Aperture reads the icc library.

Robert
    Could be on to something with the profiles. Hear you on the right-click.

While not likely of any value here as it appears Phocus is installing some files Aperture doesn't like, the value I find of AM is you can 'watch' executables in action and what resources they consume or just see what executables are running in the background that you may not know about vs. just seeing an apps. installed package contents.

One would have thought that Hasselblad would have tested Phocus against the two most prevalent DAM applications (forget initial processing, etc, just management) out there - LR and Aperture. Like they used to say: "If buildings were built like code-writers build software apps, the first mouse that came along would destroy civilization"
    Last edited by robmac; 30th May 2008 at 05:04.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There was an update last night to OSx, which included some changes to aperture 2, so it may also have been a problem on the Aperture side.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rob,

The apple update was not it. This happened under 10.5.2 also, prior to me doing the 10.5.3 and pro apps update.

Best,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

A suggestion. Re-install Phocus and temporarily remove the Hassy RGB profiles into a folder and see what happens. Not a solution, but may help pinpoint the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have had this problem and spent over five hours with Apple ProApps tech support trying to resolve it.

The solution (at least in my case) was to get the very latest OS software upgrade (I am on Leopard). Apparently Apple made some changes to the Aperture product within the OS which has done the trick.

If this doesn't work for you (and I suspect it will) you have two choices. First you can remove Phocus and work the 3FRR files in Aperture. Or you can do what I did for a while which is to create another user account on your machine and install Aperture there. Since Phocus will not be a part of that user account there will not be conflicts. Worked perfectly for me.

Hope this may help

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Woody - great idea on the user accounts.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    I have had this problem and spent over five hours with Apple ProApps tech support trying to resolve it.

The solution (at least in my case) was to get the very latest OS software upgrade (I am on Leopard). Apparently Apple made some changes to the Aperture product within the OS which has done the trick.

If this doesn't work for you (and I suspect it will) you have two choices. First you can remove Phocus and work the 3FRR files in Aperture. Or you can do what I did for a while which is to create another user account on your machine and install Aperture there. Since Phocus will not be a part of that user account there will not be conflicts. Worked perfectly for me.

Hope this may help

Woody
    BEWARE. A pal of mine was shooting a huge job in LA and created a user account so clients couldn't see other client files. It started to rain and they shut down the computer to run for cover. There was a dialog box that came up asking if they wanted to save the work on the user file which they blew by in the rush ... and they lost the entire shoot.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just updated my Mac and Aperture software and all is well.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    BEWARE. A pal of mine was shooting a huge job in LA and created a user account so clients couldn't see other client files. It started to rain and they shut down the computer to run for cover. There was a dialog box that came up asking if they wanted to save the work on the user file which they blew by in the rush ... and they lost the entire shoot.
    Okay someone has to say it . That just sucks big time
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch. That hurts.

Not sure if this was a recent event or not, but if it just happened, tell your friend not to use his computer (I'm assuming it was a Mac) until he has a chance to undelete the files. If he copied them to his computer, they're still there. Applications like Data Rescue can retrieve this data.

If he used CF cards, an application called PhotoRescue will do a good job of ressurecting the last set of images on each card he was using.

So there's a still a pretty good chance your friend can save much of the day's work.

-Brad

thsinar

The files are effectively still there, UNLESS one has done a "Secure Delete". Otherwise deleted files are kept until they are overwritten by new files.

In other words, DO NOT touch the Mac and do anything until you have rescued them with an application like mentioned by Brad.

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyGibson View Post
    Ouch. That hurts.

Not sure if this was a recent event or not, but if it just happened, tell your friend not to use his computer (I'm assuming it was a Mac) until he has a chance to undelete the files. If he copied them to his computer, they're still there. Applications like Data Rescue can retrieve this data.

If he used CF cards, an application called PhotoRescue will do a good job of ressurecting the last set of images on each card he was using.

So there's a still a pretty good chance your friend can save much of the day's work.

-Brad

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyGibson View Post
    Ouch. That hurts.

-Brad
    Afraid it wasn't quite that easy Brad. Data Rescue did retrieve a majority of the images, after like 2 days of crunching the data, but the files were fff Hasselblad shots and there was some additional difficulty with file naming on the retrieved images so they couldn't be opened ... some software dude had to write a special program to complete the process with the files that could be saved.

My worst wedding nightmare ... and the reason I shoot all critical images with dual card Canon and Nikon Pro DSLRs and would NEVER use a single card camera to photograph any critical wedding image. It is just a matter of time before disaster will bite you. Seen it happen to smug shooters who claimed it's never happen to them ... until it did ... one guy I know lost an entire 8 gig wedding card and no one could get the images back.

With the Hasselblad H system, I can shoot to a CF and also write to the Image Bank when there are no second chances. I think the Sinar backs can write to the internal HD and a CF card at the same time which would make it a good candidate for a MF Wedding camera also.

I never, ever reformat CF cards until they are downloaded and in at least three separate locations ... one being a stand alone HD, the another a DVD. Even shooting to 2 cards I trust nothing.

thsinar

Yes Marc, you are right: with the eMotion backs one has the possibility to save in these 2 locations at the same time, to the CF card but also simultaneously to the internal hard state memory. Exactly for security reasons.

Thanks and best regards,
    Thierry

I think the Sinar backs can write to the internal HD and a CF card at the same time which would make it a good candidate for a MF Wedding camera also.

I never, ever reformat CF cards until they are downloaded and in at least three separate locations ... one being a stand alone HD, the another a DVD. Even shooting to 2 cards I trust nothing.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

IT STILL DOESN'T WORK.

My computer was completely updated with all the Apple updates. I just checked the software update again, with nothing available.

I installed the actual 1.0 release version of Phocus, and Aperture crashes still.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

IT STILL DOESN'T WORK.

My computer was completely updated with all the Apple updates. I just checked the software update again, with nothing available.

I installed the actual 1.0 release version of Phocus, and Aperture crashes still.
    Weird and unlucky.

Just opening Aperture alone, or with Phocus open also?

I'd clean install both programs if it keeps happening.

thsinar

Did you trash the preferences?

Thierry

IT STILL DOESN'T WORK.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Marc - either way. With Phocus closed or open, Aperture doesn't run.

Thierry - Which preferences do you refer to? Their was nothing left from Phocus before, and Aperture ran fine. As soon as I installed Phocus again, Aperture stopped working.

Woody - Do you have a case number or something relative to your conversation with Apple Pro Apps support? I want to call them and reference your same issue to see if they can help.

thsinar

Yes, I had seen this. But I would try anyway.

Go to your "home" ---> "Library" ---> "Preferences" and look for any pref. files from Phocus, and I would even try to trash all the pref. from Aperture.
    Delete them and don't forget to empty the trash, then restart the computer.

It may not be this but is worth a try.

Thierry

Thierry - Which preferences do you refer to? Their was nothing left from Phocus before, and Aperture ran fine. As soon as I installed Phocus again, Aperture stopped working.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc - either way. With Phocus closed or open, Aperture doesn't run.

Woody - Do you have a case number or something relative to your conversation with Apple Pro Apps support? I want to call them and reference your same issue to see if they can help.
    Hi Ray

Yes I have the case number..........99317795.

Over a period of four hours we tried virtually everything including trashing the various application support files, plists, etc etc. The only thing that worked was setting up the second user account and installing Aperture in that location. Do not, of course, install Phocus in that same user account.

In frustration my tech suggested completely reinstalling the OS (be sure to use the ARCHIVE option from your disk. I don't think he was optimistic but frankly had nothing more he could think of to do. As I said earlier, after reinstalling the Leopard OS I went to Software Update and found a 536MB file for the latest OS which included some changes to Aperture as I discovered later. {Oh by the way, before reinstalling the OS and the Software upgrade, remove Aperture and all the stuff it leaves behind including the plist, Apps support etc. I used Spotlight to find all the files and deleted them one by one.}

Once you are up and running with the latest O.S. version you can reinstall Aperture. I don't know which version you have but you should upgrade to 2.1 if you are at a lower version. In my case this resolved all of the issues. I now run both Phocus and Aperture as I wish with no problems. I can even open both simulataneously with no issues.

Hope this helps and works for you

Best

Woody

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Woody,

Thanks for the case number.

However, I'm at a complete loss. Here is the original history of how things went.

My machine was running fine about a week and half ago with Aperture and no Phocus. I got the Hassy to try and started using Aperture to develop the files. Everything was great. Last week, installed Phocus and used it with no problems. I then tried to go back a few days ago and use Aperture again. Aperture did not work, as per the original post. This was all prior to the last 10.5.3 and ProApp update from Apple.

I then deleted Aperture completely, and did a fresh install from the Aperture 2.0 disk. Software Update then updated it to 2.1 again. Still no luck, as Aperture would not open.

I thought it might have something to do with the Viveza plug for Aperture which also was added recently. I called NIK software and got great tech support help. However, nothing worked. They were searching all over the web after no results and found something about 3rd party color-pickers also causing this same issue. I have no extra color pickers installed but it did tweek my memory to think of the color picker which was just added with Phocus.

During these trials with NIK, I completely redid the Mac OSX partition from scratch with a clean format and all new install.

Same results, everything worked perfectly until I installed Phocus. Prior to installing any other software, I completely updated the OSX, then added MS Office did all the updates, added CS3 plus all updates, then Aperture plus updates, then the other small misc. stuff that I use. Everything was running perfectly. I then installed the Phocus beta and Aperture did not work.

I removed Phocus completely, and Aperture worked again.

I then contacted Hassy, but have not heard any solution yet back from them and also posted here.

Today after reading what you and Marc said, I loaded the actual release version of Phocus with the same results of Aperture not working.

I completely delete all Phocus files from Apps/user & MacHD (app support/caches/preferences) then Aperture runs perfectly.

I don't know where to go from here. I guess that I will try to call Apple.

What phone number did you use for support on the Pro Apps?

Thanks,

Ray

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Latest update

I spent about an hour on the phone today with Apple support. They read this thread and also checked the case number from Woody.

After completely removing all of my user preferences that did not fix the issue. We went through redoing Aperture and Phocus, plus their preferences in a few different orders and ways with no luck.

I forwarded them the report which it asks would you like to send Apple when Aperture crashes and will not open along with my serial numbers so that they could find it in their system. Still no easy help.

We got into the system crash logs and forwarded them that report which showed Aperture crashing.

Creating a new user account of test with admin privileges allowed both Aperture and Phocus to run fine together under the new test account.

The tech seems to believe the issue is somewhere in the "USER" folder of my main account but not sure what it is. Removing the preferences did not fix anything.

It does seem that it may also be related to order in which things are installed and updated. When I redid my entire Mac partition, I updated all the OS X prior to installing Aperture and Phocus.

I am going to try to start from scratch again, this time installing everything before doing the updates and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, the Apple tech escalated the issue in their system and gave me a case number. He stated that I would get a call from more senior support staff on Monday to try to resolve the issue.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It sounds like a painful process and I hope you resolve it.

This may not be much help at this point, but I found a nice bit of freeware that makes finding, examining, and removing preferences from either the user or system folders pretty simple. The site is here: http://www.jonn8.com/html/pt.html The link to the download is the name of the software, "Preferential Treatment", that appears up near the top of the page.

It first examines the plists in either your user or system folders and reports problems should they exist. If a problem is found, you have several options to deal with them directly from within the software.

Not much of help this time, but handy to have around.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is the kind of problem that drives me stark raving nuts... Hours and hours of wasted time installing, deleting, reinstalling, searching, phone calls, etc, etc. You have my sympathies.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

David - You are right. This drives my "batty".

Now the good news after all of this B.S. !!!!!!! My computer now has Phocus and Aperture both running fine together.

I started from scratch again yesterday, after the comment from Apple that it may have something to do with the install and update order. So I reinstalled the OS on a clean disk. Next I installed Phocus and then Aperture only. Aperture did not work. I did this prior to updating the OS as the last time, I updated the OS first. Still no luck.

Based on what we found on the phone with Apple tech, I created another "test" user. The "test" user could use both Phocus and Aperture with no problem. Since I was basically starting over and doing new users was no big deal at this stage, I then deleted my user information only keeping the "test" user. Next I created my user account again made it the admin, and then deleted the "test" user. Now my user account could use Phocus and Aperture with no problems. Then I spent the next six hours reinstalling , updating, redoing preferences, etc... on everything.

The end result after all of this frustration is that everything is now working fine.

Why Phocus and Aperture, won't get along in the originally generated user account is still a mystery.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David - You are right. This drives my "batty".

Now the good news after all of this B.S. !!!!!!! My computer now has Phocus and Aperture both running fine together.

I started from scratch again yesterday, after the comment from Apple that it may have something to do with the install and update order. So I reinstalled the OS on a clean disk. Next I installed Phocus and then Aperture only. Aperture did not work. I did this prior to updating the OS as the last time, I updated the OS first. Still no luck.

Based on what we found on the phone with Apple tech, I created another "test" user. The "test" user could use both Phocus and Aperture with no problem. Since I was basically starting over and doing new users was no big deal at this stage, I then deleted my user information only keeping the "test" user. Next I created my user account again made it the admin, and then deleted the "test" user. Now my user account could use Phocus and Aperture with no problems. Then I spent the next six hours reinstalling , updating, redoing preferences, etc... on everything.

The end result after all of this frustration is that everything is now working fine.

Why Phocus and Aperture, won't get along in the originally generated user account is still a mystery.

Ray
    For me as well Ray. What i did to fix mine defied logic but in the end worked. I guess my only issue is that if it starts up again then what? I am not about to go through complete scrub.....reinstall O.S.....Reinstall Aperture....Reinstall Phocus....etc

I would recommend you run Time Machine right now so that if you experience another recurrence of the problem you can go back to a machine state that you know works.

Glad to hear that everything works for you now.

By the way, all the Nikon gear I had for sale has sold. Only three days so pretty good to sell on the GetDpi B&S forum.

Woody

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Woody,

I'm with you on not having patience to figure this out again. Time machine backup is already done and put away.

It is amazing how easy it is to sell the new Nikon gear right now. The popularity and scarce availability of some of the lenses sure doesn't hurt.

Glad yours sold also so that there is another friend right beside me sliding down that MF slope.

Best,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After reading all this..I am still confused..

glad it worked out for you Ray.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Peter, and so was I.

Try creating a new test user with admin privileges. Logout as yourself. Login as the test user. Check to see if both Aperture and Phocus work now. My bet is that they will. If they do, it seems the solution is to migrate all your user information into a new user account.

If Apple comes up with a better solution when they contact me today, I'll let you know.

Best,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry to hear all of your issues Ray... Sounds like Phocus still has some teething issues to work out, but at least you are running now.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FYI - Hasselblad has indicated the the Windows version of Phocus will be available in the 3rd quarter of 2008, which pegs it at 2 to 3 months out...

Steve Hendrix
    www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php

Post Thanks / Like

Update
    Spoke to the head of Software at Hasselblad and there is indeed a problem at Apples end. The workaround is to remove the Hasselblad RGB profile from user/library/colorsync/profiles AND library/colorsync/profiles before booting aperture for the first time, once you have done this you can safely put them back.

Nick-T

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nick - thanks for this - not sure if I can follow but will give it a go this weekend and report back ..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nick T - it worked for me thanks for posting...

now I know just how slooooow even the new version of Aperture is with large files ..LOL