Site Sponsors

Thread: Stupid Hasselblad Eye Cup

Post Thanks / Like

Stupid Hasselblad Eye Cup

The Hasselblad eye cup that's on my H3D2-39 (or should I say was on it) is very comfortable, can even use it with my reading glasses on. And it's fine in the studio on a camera stand.

But once you start moving the camera around, whether putting the camera into a camera bag, or having it on strap over your shoulder, or carrying it in crowded situation like a wedding, it seems to me it's about as bad a design as you can come up with. It just gets knocked off regularly. It finally got knocked off and lost yesterday.

The eye cup just slips on the outside of the optical viewfinder. Stupid. Why not have a threaded end with the same rubber eye cup so that it stays on the camera. A simple screw in eye cup would be a huge improvement. Or am I the only one how has this problem?

Is there some guy in China that makes replacement eye cups? I want to order a gross of them. That might last a year for me.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Stupid Hasselblad Eye Cup

Quote Originally Posted by David Schneider View Post
    The Hasselblad eye cup that's on my H3D2-39 (or should I say was on it) is very comfortable, can even use it with my reading glasses on. And it's fine in the studio on a camera stand.

But once you start moving the camera around, whether putting the camera into a camera bag, or having it on strap over your shoulder, or carrying it in crowded situation like a wedding, it seems to me it's about as bad a design as you can come up with. It just gets knocked off regularly. It finally got knocked off and lost yesterday.

The eye cup just slips on the outside of the optical viewfinder. Stupid. Why not have a threaded end with the same rubber eye cup so that it stays on the camera. A simple screw in eye cup would be a huge improvement. Or am I the only one how has this problem?

Is there some guy in China that makes replacement eye cups? I want to order a gross of them. That might last a year for me.
    Just put a dab of glue on it.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agree with Marc. I have mine superglued on...and it stays put.

Post Thanks / Like

So someone who buys a $40,000 H4D-60 has to glue the eyecup on. Unbelievable. It's like saying when you buy a new BMW, the windshield wipers might fall off so better glue them to the holder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey, don't shoot the messengers...we are just sharing with you what worked for us.

So someone who buys a $40,000 H4D-60 has to glue the eyecup on. Unbelievable. It's like saying when you buy a new BMW, the windshield wipers might fall off so better glue them to the holder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You should try this over at LuLa, it would play well there.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like

I've used mine at a wedding and have had no issues whatsoever. I dont put mine in a bag though, mine goes in a Pelican 1510 with foam.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Try running a rental department with multiple H2 bodies going out ever week during the rental season. At least then the replacement cost is billed to the renter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by P. Chong View Post
    Hey, don't shoot the messengers...we are just sharing with you what worked for us.
    Not shooting anyone. I guess I missed the glue thing in the manual. lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    Try running a rental department with multiple H2 bodies going out ever week during the rental season. At least then the replacement cost is billed to the renter.
    You must really need that little guy in China who makes replacement eyecups. I hope I find his website. lol.

Yesterday I had to photography a high school marching band group, 92 members, for a poster which is a perfect use for medium format and immediately had to rush to a county championship soccer game for action photos, a good use for a dslr. I wasn't going to leave the Hasselblad and lenses in my car so brought that gear along with my Canon gear to the field. It stayed by side of bench area until the second overtime period. Having photographed something like 12 out the last 14 championships, I know to take the group photos with plaques and all after the game and know the bench area gets less secure. With an extra number of newspaper photographers and reporters on the same sideline I decided it's was a better idea to sling the Hasselblad over a shoulder than to leave it in an unsecured bag as time was winding down. Between the commotion of happy players, parents, photographers, officials someone probably bumped into the Hassie and eyecup was gone. This isn't a case of contact photography, just trying to make sure my gear doesn't walk off with someone other than myself, hence my disappointment and annoyance. Maybe I was also more P.O.'d because I had a nice, little family photo in pumpkin patch today and keep looking at the naked end of my viewfinder.

Maybe I'll drive up to Hasselblad hq here in NJ and ask them to put the page with the glue instruction a little more prominent in the manual in four languages. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had this problem with my H3DII-39 before, but i traded in for H4D-60, i am still worry about it as i am sure it will fall off sooner or later aft a while.
    Tareq

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hassey does seem to lightly glue it in place which obviously isn't the best solution ... it just doesn't take much abuse ... like cramming it into the bag like I do. Once it's loose it falls off with just a bump until you glue it back in place better. The eye cup is such soft comfortable collapsable rubber that it's pretty easy to stuff the camera in a bag and have it put pressure on the eye-piece until it gives way.

I've learned to put the camera back into the camera bag eye-piece first ... problem solved so far.

My H2F rarely gets crammed in a bag, and the eye cup has never come off after a couple of years, including carrying it around in crowds and such.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    I had this problem with my H3DII-39 before, but i traded in for H4D-60, i am still worry about it as i am sure it will fall off sooner or later aft a while.
    So far, its holding in do not look like it will like h3d-50

i did glue it got tired of looking for it all the time I took the camera of the bag.

now its working perfect, a list for now.

BlasR

Post Thanks / Like

This is the camera equivalent of the filled-up ashtray ?

I have glued mine as well but I will be trying the upgrade route for the other body where the eye-cup keeps falling off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dustbak View Post
    This is the camera equivalent of the filled-up ashtray ?

I have glued mine as well but I will be trying the upgrade route for the other body where the eye-cup keeps falling off.
    Just let's hope it won't, and i will be so careful this time, but the bag is a bit tight so i may better find another bag with more space or room so it will not have problems with that i-cup.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

It's not bad when the eye cup falls off in your bag. It's when it falls off in some public place and you don't realize it for a couple of minutes.....or longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's not bad when the eye cup falls off in your bag. It's when it falls off in some public place and you don't realize it for a couple of minutes.....or longer.
    I agree, it happened many times for me with that H3DII-39, good that i always check the camera when i finish shooting and walk away, also i was lucky maybe that it falls off when i am not in public so crowded place.
    Just in case if it falls and i lost it, where i can buy a new eye-cup for H1-H4/Hx?
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Just in case if it falls and i lost it, where i can buy a new eye-cup for H1-H4/Hx?
    I emailed my local Hasselblad rep a few days ago, but didn't hear back. I think when I have a chance I'll just call Hasselblad in NJ.

I keep some moustache wax in my camera bag in case my handlebars need some work, but now I'll have to keep an extra eye cup and some glue too.

tetsrfun

I emailed my local Hasselblad rep a few days ago, but didn't hear back. I think when I have a chance I'll just call Hasselblad in NJ.

I keep some moustache wax in my camera bag in case my handlebars need some work, but now I'll have to keep an extra eye cup and some glue too.
    This is probably who you need to contact:

Nicole Patchell
    Dealer Order Dept Supvsr / Parts Dept

Hasselblad USA
    333 New Road
    Suite 5
    Parsippany, NJ 07054
    Ph 973-227-7320 X238 Fax 800-424-0234

Hasselblad USA has moved all parts dept. to NJ. When I called a few days ago they were unpacking boxes....Probably better if you call next week. >

Steve
    Last edited by tetsrfun; 3rd November 2010 at 12:19.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,

Thanks!!!!

I just might drive up there one of these days.

Post Thanks / Like

All,

I think the eyecup issue with H cameras is a real issue! Nevertheless this differentiates a good representation (dealer) from a bad one. My dealer told me this weakness upfront and showed me how to handle and store the camera, so that the eyecup does not fall off or the mounting is destroyed by carrying etc.

Just a minor note on the fact that the dealer - or call it support (local support) - is almost as important as the camera system itself.

BTW this was one of the main reasons why I choose Hasselblad over Phase - dealer / support efficiency in Austria.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got off the phone with Hasselblad. Nicole said the shorter eyecup stays on better. I'll try that one. She did say once they come off they tend to come off a lot more, even if glued. I should get it in a few days.

mistaki spita

I bought a H4D40 earlier this year and the eye cup came off soon. My dealer thecamerastore in Calgary used a a small plastic tie to secure the eyecup and I no longer have an issue. I think the solution is better than any glue job and is simple.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wink Re: Stupid Hasselblad Eye Cup

Quote Originally Posted by mistaki spita View Post
    I bought a H4D40 earlier this year and the eye cup came off soon. My dealer thecamerastore in Calgary used a a small plastic tie to secure the eyecup and I no longer have an issue. I think the solution is better than any glue job and is simple.
    Maybe i have to take it off by force and then try your solution.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

The plastic tie might be a very workable idea. Nicole said something about a couple of screws that hold the cup, but she did say that once the eyecup gets knocked off, there's not really a good solution.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The plastic tie might be a very workable idea. Nicole said something about a couple of screws that hold the cup, but she did say that once the eyecup gets knocked off, there's not really a good solution.
    Then they should get someone at Hasselblad working on a solution ... it's bullsh^t that this happens.

What's weird is that I never had this issue with my older H cameras ... not once. The only thing that changed was the bag I use ... previously I used a tall roller bag with the camera stored face down. I am positive that the eye-piece originally got knocked off taking it in and out of the new bag.

-Marc

mistaki spita

Further to use of plastic tie. Most of my work is with major outdoor events. I carry my H4D40 in a sling bag with a full set of lenses. The camera and lenses are snug in the bag so the eyecup is vulnerable when the camera is going in or out. The tie works. If you already have used glue you could still put a tie on as well. If you haven't used glue then just use the tie.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, this happens on the V cameras (prisms) too. The PM5, PM51...

A dab of glue (preferably something less permanent than super glue) usually does the job. Some rubber cement is good; easily removed should the eyecup actually get damaged. Though the grip is obviously less than the super glue.

My Canon 1D2N did this with a third-party eyecup as well. I had a great solution to the minimal stock "eyecup" with a more well-formed one. Well, it's laying in Jamaica somewhere right now...

My old Canon A-1 did this as well, though the grooves were a lot deeper and held up much better. It took quite a bit to dislodge it, but it happened.

What manufacturers SHOULD be doing is forming the rubber eyecup over a plastic, threaded insert!

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

...Though I believe many manufacturers (Hasselblad included) do this so that you can remove the eyecup quickly and easily in case it's lost (ha), damaged - or you wish to toss on a magnifier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I am positive that the eye-piece originally got knocked off taking it in and out of the new bag.

-Marc
    Nicole at Hasselblad parts said that's exactly how most get knocked off, taking them out of in a camera bag.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post

What manufacturers SHOULD be doing is forming the rubber eyecup over a plastic, threaded insert!
    Exactly what I think they should have. Simple, easy to replace, won't get knocked off, not hard to get manufactured, can fit on various models.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Further to use of plastic tie. Most of my work is with major outdoor events. I carry my H4D40 in a sling bag with a full set of lenses. The camera and lenses are snug in the bag so the eyecup is vulnerable when the camera is going in or out. The tie works. If you already have used glue you could still put a tie on as well. If you haven't used glue then just use the tie.
    Can you post a close-up of that solution? ... I'm having trouble visualizing it.

Thanks,

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a short eyecup in the mail today. I was expecting a 100 2.2 plastic bayonet for the lens hood. If someone gets my bayonet mount, let's trade!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Can you post a close-up of that solution? ... I'm having trouble visualizing it.
    Same here. I imagine it as a tightly fitting cable tie, but yes, I'd like to see that close-up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by symbolphoto View Post
    I just got a short eyecup in the mail today. I was expecting a 100 2.2 plastic bayonet for the lens hood. If someone gets my bayonet mount, let's trade!
    I ordered a short eyecup last week. Might be me. lol. I think I got Hasselblad just to send the eyecup in an envelope rather than charge me $8.00 for shipping. Seemed crazy for something that small.

NOTE: A few minutes after I posted the mail came. (It does come sooner when the forecast is for rain.) I just got my eyecup, not your mount. Darn, thought I'd have myself a nice new mount. lol.
    Last edited by David Schneider; 16th November 2010 at 07:00.

Post Thanks / Like

ha, i fixed it up with Nicole in Jersey. Sent the wrong item.

mistaki spita

Post Re: Stupid Hasselblad Eye Cup

A snapshot of the tie for the eyecup.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

A snapshot of the tie for the eyecup.
    Thanks.

Yes, looks like a type of cable tie.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine split, right along the middle. I have checked the price of a new one and as I can't see how I can avoid it (eventually) doing it again I'm using it without at the moment. Mine was a former rental camera and it had been glued. Anyone know how to get glue and rubber bits OFF my viewfinder?
    Odille

H2 | P20 | HC 50-110 | HC 150 f3.2 | HC 210 f4 ~ My Website

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I finally unpacked my new eyecup from Hasselblad. On Nicole's recommendation I went with the shorter eyecup because it's better to use with glasses and I like to keep my reading glasses on if possible.

I don't see how it's held on! There are two screws on the body. I'll have to call them. Maybe I'll trade it in for the larger one because I think the larger at least extends farther than down the camera body so you can put the tie on.

NOTE: Looks lke you take the two screws out, pull the eye piece rubber back, put the two screws in. Man, those two little screws are suppose to keep the eyecup attached? Not exactly heavy duty.
    Last edited by David Schneider; 19th November 2010 at 08:48.

Post Thanks / Like

Nuts. I couldn't get the darn two tiny screws out of the camera. Need to get those out so can put them through the eyecup to secure to camera. Feels like I need a torque wrench to get them out instead of a jeweler's screwdriver. (Wondering if original cup was ever secured with the screws or just seated on the frame or eyecup just ripped off the screws?)

There are two other screw holes in both camera and eyecup and I called Hasselblad and asked if they could send me two little itty bitty screws (which should have come with the eyecup). Sure, at $2.00 each plus postage. lol. Anyway, I think I'm just going to drive up there and have them put the darn eyecup on.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nuts. I couldn't get the darn two tiny screws out of the camera. Need to get those out so can put them through the eyecup to secure to camera. Feels like I need a torque wrench to get them out instead of a jeweler's screwdriver. (Wondering if original cup was ever secured with the screws or just seated on the frame or eyecup just ripped off the screws?)
    In my experience the screws tear through the rubber and that's the beginning of the end of "security" for the eye cup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    In my experience the screws tear through the rubber and that's the beginning of the end of "security" for the eye cup.
    Maybe for another $2 a piece they can come up with little tiny washers. That might help. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just got off the phone with Hasselblad. Nicole said the shorter eyecup stays on better. I'll try that one. She did say once they come off they tend to come off a lot more, even if glued. I should get it in a few days.
    Order the shorter one i did for my h3d39 and never had a problem again
    Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't get the two tiny screws off so I drove my new eye cup up to Hasselblad and asked them to install it for me. Guy says the screws were stripped. I don't know, but if he replaced them, he saved me $4. lol. Anyway, the small eyecup is finally out of my camera bag and on the back of my camera.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI
    Hasselblad are aware of the issues around the rubber eye cup and are working on it.
    Nick-T

Post Thanks / Like

Damn Stupid Hasselblad Eye Cup Piece of Poop!!!!

Well the stupid Hasselblad short eye piece that Hasselblad put on for me because I couldn't do it came off. I'm not rough at all with my gear and just touching some case padding shouldn't be reason enough for the eye cup to come off.

Sorry for the rant. I guess I'll go with Crazy Glue and one of those cable ties. It amazes me you have to (as the kids say) go ghetto (older people can say Rube Goldberg) to keep a simple eye cup on a pretty expensive camera. As Sarah Palin says, "WTF" (and I don't mean Win The Future because I don't see it happening with this stupid Hasselblad eye cup.)